Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EllipsusD

A pointless, but unmentioned thought...

I know this is stupid, and it's really a small detail, but I don't think it has been metioned yet (imagine that!). I have noticed that most people assume that the UAC is responsible for creating the portals that released the demons. I was looking at the Doom manual for a fan fic I was writing, and it was the military utilizing UAC's facilities not the UAC itself that caused the problem. My question to you: in Doom 3 (which promises to be more story based) should UAC or the military be responsible? Or should it be both? Just a question. I would personally like to see the military at fault... it fits better with the existing story.

Well, i don't think it's gonna be the exact same story as doom with a small twist on it. Something ELSE is going to happen.. i guess.

But still, it's not totally UAC's fault, altho they treat their marines like shit and are assholes. They just made a doorway for the deamons without knowing it.

Well, if the UAC wasn't responsible for the consequences, the military must have ordered the scientists to continue the research of dimensional portals.

The military should be responsible :) But maybe certain UAC managers had a secret deal with certain military people?

And do the spacemarines (doomguy) belong to the military, or is it a UAC private army?

Maybe the big tough guys with their shiny green armor are elite UAC soldiers, and the lowly grunts (as seen in the MacWorld movie) are regular Space Marines.

And do the spacemarines (doomguy) belong to the military, or is it a UAC private army?

UAC is purely waste treatment on Mars, Phobos, and Deimos. The military was using the facilities, and it follows that the space marines are military.

There's something funny there...why they didn't just nuked the place? I guess there's something a little bit deeper than your regular "incident". Conspirancy, maybe?

I thought that UAC FOUND the portals and tried to figure out how to use them. After tests involving transportation of goods, they decided on human tests. Upon retrieval, the test subjects were all FUBAR. THEN the military moves in, sendind in their crack teams of Marines to find out wtf is going on over there. Enter Flynn Taggert...

And with these three words, your entire theory is proven wrong.

Flynn Taggert was part of a crack team of Marines(hence the green body armor) sent in to find out wtf was happening on the other side of the portal. Upon return he found all his buddies DEAD, heard distant screams and decided to check out WTF was going on. Enter [player]. You[player] take on the role of Flynn Taggert, a.k.a DoomGuy!!!

With this statement, your[read: EllipsusD] entire history of a DooM player is fbar[Fragged Beyond All Recognition].[read: period]

I AM the future, born 21 years ago...

Flynn Taggard was an ordinary bath room cleaner on UAC Phobos research lab, until one day after a strange accident he´s gone mad and thought he was the Doomguy now :p

Flynn Taggard was an ordinary bath room cleaner on UAC Phobos research lab, until one day after a strange accident he´s gone mad and thought he was the Doomguy now :p

I base ALL of my comments on my DooM knowledge, aquired from different sources. One source was the DooM Opera Books, a trilogy put out ~1995 in which the writer was given privelidge to storylines and details, outlined by Carmack and Romero. ALL info was looked over by id, until rights were licensed to the publisher. According to id, DoomGuy doesn't even have a name! He's just[player].[read:period] This trilogy outlines-with Grave Detail- EVERYTHING!! Read them, and then we'll talk...

They go on to point out so much as the history of the Marine who is catching up to "DooMguy" on the game boxes.

With this statement, your[read: EllipsusD] entire history of a DooM player is fbar[Fragged Beyond All Recognition].[read: period]

He he he... my history is wrong? First of all, it's not my history... what I put down comes straight from the Doom manual. Basically you are saying id is wrong, not me.

I base ALL of my comments on my DooM knowledge, aquired from different sources. One source was the DooM Opera Books, a trilogy put out ~1995

The only Doom books I have heard of are the ones in that horrid series with Flynn Taggart as the main character. If you are reffering to something different, please correct me, but when you mentioned "Flynn Taggart", your credibility dropped completely. I suggest that you go back and do some reading, the manual for starters. I should think that id will either support the story that they have told everyone, or the one that most people believe from inference. As to what you are telling us is "true", well... I think you might be one out of a handfull of people who believe it.

help420me: WhatDoesThisButtondo?!

Not much, as it's linking to www.doomworld.com/forums/whattthehelll.com . www.whattthehelll.com doesn't even exist.

What would REALLY be interesting is if they began Doom 3 with Doomguy getting killed. Then what would happen? A new unique storyline is what I'm looking for. Not some shit like: "THE DEMONS COME BACK. KILL THEM NOW OR BAD THINGS HAPPEN".

All that Flynn Taggart crap has nothing to do with Id's storyline...it was just some guy's interpretation of the game. Basically, from what can be inferred from the games and manuals, this is what happens:

Doomguy, a military officer, is punished for saving innocent civilians from a superior by being sent to Mars. Meanwhile, UAC is experimenting with a teleportation system between Phobos and Demios. They begin sending test subjects through (weather or not they tried it out with inanimate objects or less intelligent life forms before hand is left to the imagination), and they return mutilated, insane, or dead. Soon after, contact is lost with Demios base and later Phobos. The UAC asks the military for help and Doomguy is sent with a team to Phobos. He stays behind with the dropship as he sends his team inside first (our hero :p). He hears their screams as they are eaten/mauled/possessed, and investigates.

Then comes the game we know and love as the origional Doom, in which he gets sent to Hell (by being killed by demons at the end of E1, I presume) where the Demios base ended up, and escapes. Unfortunately, he is followed by Hellspawn (TM), and they proceed to take over the Earth while he's off doing whatever he's trying to accomplish in E4 (I never figured that out).

This is where Doom2 comes into play. In this act, our hero rescues the survivors and returns to Hell to beat some major demon ass. He kills (a/the) major demon of Hell and the populace of Earth are free to rebuild the planet. And this, I presume, is where Doom 3 will begin.

Not much, as it's linking to www.doomworld.com/forums/whattthehelll.com . www.whattthehelll.com doesn't even exist.

I obviously meant to do this so you could see the 404page of doomworld...it mentions all kinds of fun stuff ;)
whattthehelll.com doesn't exist, but I didn't want to put something like rotten or strangeland-- being a newbie here, I thought everyone would think I was some kind of a sicko...

The UAC asks the military for help and Doomguy is sent with a team to Phobos. He stays behind with the dropship as he sends his team inside first (our hero :p). He hears their screams as they are eaten/mauled/possessed, and investigates

This is true, but with a few key details left out[these aren't key, I'm just being arguementative]: DooMguy didn't stray behind, he assaulted a higher rank because of the way he was treating civ's. They[his team] took his weapons and left him with a pistol,any Marines secondary assault, heading into UAC like sheep to the slaughter. Hearing his buddies getting fragged, DooMguy[by which I will forever refer to him on this forum] heads in with little more than a pistol and perfect health: [enter player]. No marine would send in his team first. CO's go in first. "Gee, I hope this kid can take all the body shots so I don't get a head wound...". yeah right

What would REALLY be interesting is if they began Doom 3 with Doomguy getting killed. Then what would happen? A new unique storyline is what I'm looking for. Not some shit like: "THE DEMONS COME BACK. KILL THEM NOW OR BAD THINGS HAPPEN".

Isn't that DooM][...oh wait. That was earth not hell... Maybe that would explain the beautiful sunsets...and the fact that a bodiless rabbit is my best friend. Icon of Sin was the biggest baddest of DooM creatures[even though he sucked as a boss]. I mean, how hard is it to kill a textured wall with multipe random spawning points in a huge sector. Romero sux...