Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

I wonder wether the Alpha...

...will be "legalized", once Doom3 ist out. Here at Doomworld, we can download Doom1-Alphas to our amusement and no lawyer cares. Will this happen with the Doom3 Alpha, as soon as Doom3 is out?
I mean, I really don't want to play the Alpha before I've seen the full version, but once I've done so, I'm keen to see what everybody was making a fuss about.

Regardless, I plan on downloading the alpha one day after Doom 3's release if I can find it then.

I mean, I'd love to check out what the game seemed like back in 2002 and how it compares to the final product :-)

Deathmatcher said:
we can download Doom1-Alphas to our amusement

Which were obtained from legal sources, years after the official release for 'historical' reasons.

I agree with dsm. I will take a look at the alpha, once I've played the final product. I think some of my friends have it, Internet won't be necessary. :-)

I seriously doubt that the leaked alpha will ever be legal. Instead, they will probably release a different, more complete alpha. That's the one I would rather play.

why would they re-release a complete alpha? It's pointless after the game is out. If the alpha was remade, then it wouldnt be an alpha.

Irrelevant. Once the full game is out, who'd want a buggy, crap-ass demo-sized version of Doom III?

Job said:

Irrelevant. Once the full game is out, who'd want a buggy, crap-ass demo-sized version of Doom III?

*slowly...raises....hand...*

LOL Goat. But I agree with Job. Why would you want to play the Alpha when you have the BEST, Complete, and BIGGER version of it right there in your computer. Free to play, LEGAL, and no one can make a fuss about it. Plus, if Alphas become really popular (which they already are) people are going to start threading viruses and worms into their "version" of it. So it's safer, better, and probably more fun to just stick with the FULL retail game.

I want the Alpha after the full version has come out. Like the original Doom Alphas, it's cool to see how far it's come. Also, there's always interesting features which didn't make it into the final game (for instance, the original BFG with its 18-bagillion little plasma balls is really cool). Mainly, though, it's all about historic value. Then again, I'm weird like that. For instance, I collect old computers as a hobby. I just love any old computer, especially non-IBMs. Then again, IBMs are fun, too (good ol' DOS and Windows 3.1).

The Original Doom Alphas are 'legal', at least, I haven't been yelled at when I've linked to them. The Doom 3 Alpha might as well be allowed also.

Job said:

Irrelevant. Once the full game is out, [why would someone] want a buggy, crap-ass demo-sized version of Doom III?

Trent's sounds, not crappy pinky, zombies don't turn to mush when you shoot them with the shotgun, the shotgun in case the final is crap, and nostolgic value. *Sigh* Ah, last April.

Coopersville said:
The Doom 3 Alpha might as well be allowed also.

Just to make sure everyone knows: it is not allowed here, at the specific request of id Software.

geekmarine said:

I want the Alpha after the full version has come out.

*sarcasm alert*

Then I've got a cd for you. If you've got 20 bucks.

I also have a bridge in San Francisco if you're interested. :P

Job said:

Once the full game is out, who'd want a buggy, crap-ass demo-sized version of Doom III?

Pardon me, but that's a stupid question.
Once you have the full version of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, who'd want a buggy, crap-ass demo-sized version of Doom?

Simple: for historical reasons doofus.

Like, I wish I'd kept the Quake 2 test/demo I once had and not just deleted it on the same day I went out and purchased Quake 2, because the demo had a slightly animated face in the hud (and I'm crazy about animated faces in huds).

I admittedly never kept the (original) Doom alphas around, but while I had them, I enjoyed getting a peek into the direction the game was headed while under development and I enjoyed comparing the stuff to the final version.

As far as the Doom 3 alpha goes:

- Different sound effects than in the final (I've always been very interested in cool sounds, and I've grounds to believe the alpha has some really enjoyable sound effects).

- The Doom marine wearing a helmet; this way I can get a proper look at it and getting a proper look at it could prove very inspiring (in regards to my art and stuff) - I know it will be in the mp mode of Doom 3, but I can't expect the other players to stand still now can I?

- Possibly a different intro?

- Different designs (the shotgun was mentioned).

- Possibly different enemy behaviour - like zombies not gibbing when downed; they may not do it in the final PC version either, but I'm mentioning this in case the PC version zombies' deaths are identical to those of the Xbox.

There's a fine line between wanting a game for nostalgia's sake and for actual purpose of playing it. Yes, the alpha would be good if you enjoy little details that didn't make it to the final game. When it comes down to it, though, if you're strictly speaking about the best gaming experience regarding Doom III, then clearly that excludes the alpha. Also, I can't stress enough that the Quake II demo/test is legal while the alpha is clearly not. The Q2 test was a sanctioned release by id, while the alpha was leaked. Why would id recognize the legitimacy of the leak (they'd look like hypocrites) by legalizing it down the road?

Job said:

There's a fine line between wanting a game for nostalgia's sake and for actual purpose of playing it. Yes, the alpha would be good if you enjoy little details that didn't make it to the final game. When it comes down to it, though, if you're strictly speaking about the best gaming experience regarding Doom III, then clearly that excludes the alpha. Also, I can't stress enough that the Quake II demo/test is legal while the alpha is clearly not. The Q2 test was a sanctioned release by id, while the alpha was leaked. Why would id recognize the legitimacy of the leak (they'd look like hypocrites) by legalizing it down the road?

Ok so first off, those of us who want to check out the alpha after Doom 3's release, want to do so not for a better game experience - we'll likely seek out the alpha about a year after Doom 3's release anyway - but because we're curious. I don't believe anyone here said they wanted the alpha for a better, overall game experience.

Next off, you don't know if Id might legalize it some time in the future (who's talking about a re-release?). The original Doom alphas would hardly be legal if they were leaked. The Doom 3 alpha was made illegal, because if people obtain it and play it, they're given the wrong impression of the full game. That won't hurt about three+ years from now if everybody knows the full game, so it's not completely impossible that Id lifts the ban one day.

dsm said:

Ok so first off, those of us who want to check out the alpha after Doom 3's release, want to do so not for a better game experience - we'll likely seek out the alpha about a year after Doom 3's release anyway - but because we're curious. I don't believe anyone here said they wanted the alpha for a better, overall game experience.

Next off, you don't know if Id might legalize it some time in the future (who's talking about a re-release?). The original Doom alphas would hardly be legal if they were leaked. The Doom 3 alpha was made illegal, because if people obtain it and play it, they're given the wrong impression of the full game. That won't hurt about three+ years from now if everybody knows the full game, so it's not completely impossible that Id lifts the ban one day.

I agree that trying the alpha is largely for curiousity's sake.

As for the possibility of id re-releasing or unbanning the alpha, well, there is a chance. Though I think it's a slim one. Far be it from me to speak for id, but they probably wouldn't really be concerned enough about the alpha to make a press release saying they're "officially" cool with it. Moreover, they would probably also refrain due to the principle of the matter, not how it reflects on Doom III as it existed before or after its offical release.

dsm said:

I totally agree with that. id won't be in danger of spreading a "wrong impression" of the game with the alpha, once everybody is playing the final version. So, if some website was going to release the alpha, say, one year after Doom3's release, I doubt id would say a thing.
If "some website" is going to do it, is a different question, though.

I might get the alpha and just not use it until I get the original game. I just don't want to spoil DOOM3 by playing the Alpha too soon. I'd rather just play out the FULL Doom 3 game, beat it, and then see what was left out. I just don't like spoiler alphas.