Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slave of SaTaN.

stupid monsters

I don't know, but sometimes it looks as if the monster is trying to hide, or something. I know that it's a bug, but in ocasions it looks good.

That's been a problem for a long time. The best way to fix this, or even just limit the chances of it occurring, is to make wider doors (128 - 192 units is good enough).

cant you fool around with the doors to eliminate that problem

i have tried it on one of my wads it works almost perfect
enemy's wont get stuck nearly as much as with normal doors
my doors are surounded by an small edge so that the enemy's can walk almost freely around.

Slave of SaTaN. said:

can you solve this problem or not?

Note that a number of ports have this as a compatibility option: "Monsters get stuck on doortracks - yes/no".

Nick Perrin said:

i've never come across this problem before, ever.

You haven't played enough Doom then!

It's usually worst with Demons I find.

The game was made in 1992....THEY WEREN'T THAT SMART BACK THEN AND AI WAS NOT INTELLIGENT LIKE IT IS NOW.

Doom bible: November 1992
Press release: January 1993
Alpha release: March 1993
Beta leak: August 1993
Release: December 1993

I would like to see the doortrak bug in the code. Why? What would cause a creature to get hung up on a door? I wonder why id never fixed this one. Another vanilla bug that's been getting under my skin is the one where if two special linedefs are too close to each other one of them won't work.

Use3D said:

I would like to see the doortrak bug in the code. Why? What would cause a creature to get hung up on a door? I wonder why id never fixed this one. Another vanilla bug that's been getting under my skin is the one where if two special linedefs are too close to each other one of them won't work.

This bug is not that easy to handle. If you look at the responsible code in various source ports you will see that they only messed around with it to reduce the impact but nobody was able to remove it once and for all. I think MBF did it best but even that wasn't a perfect solution.
As for id: Look at the shitload of bugs (some obvious, some not) that is still present in Doom2.exe. If there is one thing the original Doom is not, it's being well programmed. Why do you think that some source ports still have new bug fixes to problems related to the originally released code?

Another vanilla bug that's been getting under my skin is the one where if two special linedefs are too close to each other one of them won't work.

YEAH YOURE WRIGHT FOR INSTANCE A DOOR TO CLOSE TO A TELEPORTER WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS I HATE THOSE THINGS

BUT THEN AGAIN WAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT THAT NOTING WRIGHT?

Nick Perrin said:

i've never come across this problem before, ever.

Heh... Me either, and I have made a lot of levels back in the day.

Grazza said:

Beta leak: August 1993

Never heard of it. I only know those versions in the historic directory of the archive.
Though I know of a Doom2 leak, but this was of course later.
Also the press release (3 maps, no sound) came after the alpha versions.

Why the link to a google search?

As for development dates, just look at the dates of the alphas... are you saying there was another leak that's not in the Archive?

Showing that the "press release" in Jan 1993 was just that - a press release, and not to be confused with this.

As for the August 1993 leak, I'm just passing on the info that is in The Book of id. No idea if that version is currently available anywhere.

I was just giving a list of dates that were pertinent to the question of how much of the work was done in 1992 as opposed to 1993.

Yeah, the DOOM Bible itself has a sketch (Section 15) of the press release, even.

Thanks... I couldn't find the text of the actual press release online anywhere. It would be interesting to compare it with the version in the Doom Bible, to see how the vision of the game had changed (if at all) in those first couple of months.

Use3D said:

The first bug isn't too obvious in a fast game, and probably no one cared enough to bitch sufficiently about it while Carmack and friends were still messing with the engine. They hardly bothered to fix most bugs anyway, so they probably didn't think much of them if they knew about them... not enough to mess around with the code unless it was necessary.

And the linedef bug is even less evident unless you're both a mapper and an observant player; plus putting linedefs close to each other is something much more likely now than it was then, since without strict limitations to the map format (thus not really using the real game) map makers tend to go for "detail" which entails small scale shit.

We've had years of hardcore playing and diligent looking at the code, originally made in a closed source environment, to find every nuance in the game. The bugs are minor, the game plays awesomely and it's quite stable; it's no wonder the authors didn't spend much more time making changes. We needed a long time to discover and understand the flaws fully... again, years. They made the game in a year... or even less for the engine itself.

It's not an advantage if you're trying to record a Max demo and some monster that you're expecting to gravitate towards you gets stuck on a doortrack on the other side of the map. Just a feature of the game that you've got to deal with though. And of course often it does work to your advantage.