Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitguolf

Whats the meaning of WAD?

It's irritating that you see "War Allocation Daemon" given as the meaning so often. It appears in the Kickstart Launcher for Doomsday, and in some websites that claim to explain the meanings of file extensions. Presumably it came about through some idle online speculation, just like the speculation over what BFG meant.

WAD. Composite data file. Means "Where's All the Data?"

pritch said:

Where's all my data gone?/Big Fragging Gun.

Big Fucking Gun.

Is that a big gun? Or are you just happy to see me?

sargebaldy said:

I imagine that was the work of the crazy Tom Hall :P

Tom is king

(there was one texture like this in a Doom Alpha, very early stuff)

UltraMarioMan said:

I've heard quite a few versions of what BFG stands for. Blast Field Gun is one sounds military like.

No. The Doom Bible removes any doubt: it is "Big Fucking Gun". Anything else is just misinformation.

Geez! I'm not stupid! Obviously it was big fucking gun, I don't even know how that came to mind at the time I first played doom considering I was pretty young and there was no manual I read hinting at it.

IIRC
BFG stands for "Bilion Fireball Gun"... Remember Doom "Press Release Beta" version? BFG wans't releasing one big green ball back then, but about 40 smaller plasma-likes... I think it's really the meaning. Or are you just toying with me :/

The Doom Bible was written before both the press release and the "press release beta". link

Or were you just joining in with the "post something blatantly untrue for a laugh" session?

Oh, and Broad Field Gun. I thought that was one of the more credible suggestions of those that someone plucked out of their ass.

lol, i mean before!!! lol.....

Sorry, its my english. I always mix always with before....

:)

(because the letter A, "After" is somewhat like "Antes" in spanish. But "Antes" mean "Before" in english.... ok, enough)...