Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

Unreal Engine 3 good-res pics

I think the most astounding thing is not a particular rendering feature, but the sheer detail and craftmanship of the game content. I can only imagine how many hundreds of man-hours it took to model those levels.

Lord FlatHead said:

I think the most astounding thing is not a particular rendering feature, but the sheer detail and craftmanship of the game content. I can only imagine how many hundreds of man-hours it took to model those levels.

Yup, a few good artists go a long way.

This stuff looks incredible! That monster looks really sweet once rendered by the game engine.

Lord FlatHead said it.

And as impressive as this is, the increasing development time and cost for roughly equal entertainment value is depressing.

It looks really nice, but am I the only one who thinks everything looks sort of plastic-y?

NiGHTMARE said:

It looks really nice, but am I the only one who thinks everything looks sort of plastic-y?

It looks like glazed clay to me.

The game may look nice, but it's the gameplay that I'm worried about.

I just read through the whole list of the engine's features and abilities... damn. Tim Sweeney and his band of pirates deserve as least as much prestige as John Carmack IMO.

I dunno... this doesn't look so amazing to me. It doesn't look like such a leap on in any way other than detail. I.e. if you put the same kind of detail and art content into the Doom3 engine, I doubt you'd come out with something that looks vastly inferior.

Nunez said:

It looks like glazed clay to me.

The game may look nice, but it's the gameplay that I'm worried about.

What gameplay? This is just the engine, there is no Unreal 3. Other games for the PC, Xbox 2, PS3, N5 are going to use the engine. Epic has not announced any game using this engine yet.

NiGHTMARE said:

Far from it.

For the last time, ponies have no place in a first person shooter!

I must say the terrain doesn't look any better then Far Cry, but the gothic artwork is amazing! Anyone who knows how hard it is to make a decent looking level nowadays should bow in respect to this incredible work of art. The attention to detail is mind-blowing!

NiGHTMARE said:

Well, it's made for grown-ups to play with; grown-ups who, when small and yet not so much into computers, played with plastic action figures.

But saying that it looks like plastic isn't saying much, since previously things simply couldn't look plasticky enough. The creatures kind of look like the mini-models used for movies. In DOOM 3 you get more of an impression of wax figures, as opposed to plastic. In action you get a new result though, as, unlike in respect to plastic figures or wax imitations, movement gives it all a new dimension.

I think Doom 3 does shiny metal surfaces really nicely. Kind of strange that it does them better than the non-shiny ones.

Fredrik said:
I think Doom 3 does shiny metal surfaces really nicely. Kind of strange that it does them better than the non-shiny ones.

Indeed.

Shiny metal, Shiny Bricks = great!

Shiny dirt, shiny wood = odd.

Personally I find shiny bricks more odd than shiny wood. The bricks on the outside of my house certainly don't reflect the light, whilst my wooden coffee table does.

Wow that last one looks like Caeser's Palace in Las Vegas. excellent rendering, I wonder what God-awful beast of a machine you would need to run it decently.

Generally quite impressive, but the outside scenes look a bit washed-out.

I've always had slight stability issues with Unreal engine ever since it's first incarnation I hope this time it will be all good because it looks good.

When will engine developers realise that not every object in the world produces a specular highlight. Some obects actually diffuse light, bouncing it in many different directions rather than just reflecting it. (Bricks!) (ok, Stone bricks)

Other than that, I like it.

Have I responded to this thread yet? Meh, whatever.

Pretty predictable. Nothing surprising except the level of boredom in the image.