Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Eugene said:

Interesting fast Phil. It's impressive that you've got 1:39 without infight between imps guarding the exit door and pinkies. Good luck with doom2.exe demo.

Hey thanks, I just find it too difficult on -fast to pull that off without getting myself killed.

btw, i've just uploaded a 1:44 compet-n MM2 -fast level 1 demo. 5 seconds slower I know, but its frustrating recording in the original doom2.exe!

2 NM demos for dreadful.wad

NM Pacifist in 0:19.
NM100S in 1:01.

A very sexy map :).

don't know if anyone did, but my ISP has deleted my accounts 3 times recently. (causing me to lose all email or have it bounce)
so please re-send a demo if you have sent me one and I didn't post it. :(

Opulent said:

don't know if anyone did, but my ISP has deleted my accounts 3 times recently. (causing me to lose all email or have it bounce)
so please re-send a demo if you have sent me one and I didn't post it. :(

You should get a Gmail account or so. :P

Opulent said:

Why would they do that? But if its an ISP service they likely support email forwarding, so you could open a reliable account (I'd recommend GMail, as Schneelocke suggested) and set your old account to forward it all there, still getting emails from people who haven't noted your address change.

Belial said:

I've found a 'failure notice' in my mail. Demos re-sent.

:(
don't have them.... perhaps I'm not being patient enough(email is not always instant)
opulent@cox.net

Belial said:
I've found a 'failure notice' in my mail. Demos re-sent.

Might want to try Rapidshare (Cox's Homeland Security firewall must have blocked your email as potentially terrorist.)

You can send demos to me too - I can also upload them to sda/dwdemo. My e-mail address is in all my demo text-files.

Grazza said:
You can send demos to me too - I can also upload them to sda/dwdemo. My e-mail address is in all my demo text-files.

By the way, you might want to pass his onto dwdemo.

A couple of demos from me, both on pwads for Ultimate Doom. In both I exit with my health reading a rosy 0%, though for differing reasons.

too1337.wad UV Speed in 0:35. The wad is included in the zip, but you can also download it from here if you like. If you know who it is by, please say so. The main point of interest here is that I turn myself into a zombie so as to sneak past a cyberdemon.

The Parallel Dimension UV Pacifist in 0:30. This is a Boom-format demo (because the wad apparently requires Boom), and a DEH file is used (and required for playback). Mostly just running, but I exit by getting my corpse to pass through a barrel that is sitting on top of the exit linedef. I hadn't previously noticed that corpses can do this (maybe it is a Boom thing).

Grazza said:
too1337.wad UV Speed in 0:35. The wad is included in the zip, but you can also download it from here if you like. If you know who it is by, please say so. The main point of interest here is that I turn myself into a zombie so as to sneak past a cyberdemon.

Cool zombification usage there! In the demo the wad kills Doom when you try to activate the lift before the exit, as it runs out of plats. How did you come accross the wad, in such an undocumented and obscure place?

myk said:

Cool zombification usage there! In the demo the wad kills Doom when you try to activate the lift before the exit, as it runs out of plats.

Yes, I noted that in the text-file. I'm not too sure what "plats" are, or if this is a limit that could be increased in Doom-plus.

myk said:

How did you come accross the wad, in such an undocumented and obscure place?

I followed a dead link from some old site that I'd found by searching the web for words like "Doom", "wad", "levels", etc.

An explanation for plats from the wiki:

Doom contains a limit on the number of platforms which can be moving simultaneously. A platform is defined as a sector with a moving floor. The limit in Vanilla Doom is 30. If the platform limit is exceeded, the game quits with the message "P_AddActivePlat: No more plats!".

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Moving_platforms_limit

Grazza said:
Yes, I noted that in the text-file. I'm not too sure what "plats" are, or if this is a limit that could be increased in Doom-plus.

Aye, it appears I found the info on the thread sufficient and didn't check the text.

Mostly just running, but I exit by getting my corpse to pass through a barrel that is sitting on top of the exit linedef. I hadn't previously noticed that corpses can do this (maybe it is a Boom thing).

Hmm, at one point corpses become non-obstructive.

Szymanski said:
An explanation for plats from the wiki:

Yeah; it didn't seem obvious on that map how many plats got activated, at least at first glance. The plats limit has been an issue recording TNT Map22 demos with respawning monsters (which would keep activating plats in the sewer-like area), particularly NM + secrets runs.

myk said:

Hmm, at one point corpses become non-obstructive.

I see - it's just like walking through a monster you've just killed, but in reverse. So it's a totally different effect from the height reduction in death that enables you to get through gaps that a player wouldn't fit through. Could be a useful idea to bear in mind...

Yeah; it didn't seem obvious on that map how many plats got activated, at least at first glance.

I believe the explanation is a tag error. This is one of those linedefs that needs a tag but doesn't have one, so you're not just lowering the edge of the pit - you are affecting sectors with tag = 0 across the whole map, of which there are more than 30 (use a walkcam to see the map-wide mess it has created). I understand now why activating one of these sector tag = 0 things can easily cause the vanilla engine to crash.

Incidentally, there is another tag error in this map, for linedef 0, which is right in front of you when you start the map. Could be used to get the keys faster too. :) This map certainly deserves its name.

Grazza said:
This map certainly deserves its name.

Heh, yeah at first sight the wad doesn't seem too glitchy, but it sure has its bugs.

or if this is a limit that could be increased in Doom-plus.

Good question; not sure if entryway has any Doom+ updates in mind (hasn't said anything else about the vissprites limit), but this would be another interesting limit to tackle there.

myk said:

Heh, yeah at first sight the wad doesn't seem too glitchy, but it sure has its bugs.

Good question; not sure if entryway has any Doom+ updates in mind, but this would be another interesting limit to tackle there.

doom2-plus-1.92.4

limit                   : old => new
-------------------------------------------------
visplanes[MAXVISPLANES] : 128 => 1024 (*8)
drawsegs[MAXDRAWSEGS]   : 256 => 2048 (*8)
SAVEGAMESIZE            : 180224 => 2883584 (*16)
activeplats[MAXPLATS]   : 30 => 7680 (*256)

myk said:

hasn't said anything else about the vissprites limit

I got some problems and was too lazy to understand their reasons

entryway said:
doom2-plus-1.92.4

limit                   : old => new
-------------------------------------------------
visplanes[MAXVISPLANES] : 128 => 1024 (*8)
drawsegs[MAXDRAWSEGS]   : 256 => 2048 (*8)
SAVEGAMESIZE            : 180224 => 2883584 (*16)
activeplats[MAXPLATS]   : 30 => 7680 (*256)

Whee! Sure as hell doesn't have any problems with the too1-035 demo anymore.

I got some problems and was too lazy to understand their reasons

Take your time; if you see your way around that one it would be awesome as well.

Opulent said:

that's a lot of frickin' lifts!

Probably just as well, since a lot will be needed for any huge maps with the missing tag issue.

Managed to do a demo I'm quite pleased with, a UV -fast for Squares (1squares.wad). Time for the demo is 8:41. I'll send the demo to Ops now.