Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Vile said:

Same run improved to 11:35

Glad to see another of your great demos!

Radeg: Maybe you can try record some demo after really long long time, maybe a year or so..?:o)

I recorded a poor max in Psycho series: Neurosis, time is 14:35.

Also, a mini-pack in an ancient but OK map Horror. This pack contains demos in all the main categories.

Note that two of them - fast and tyson - desync with PrBoom Plus in the last room, so there must be some map specific issue after all.

EDIT: use Doom2.exe compatibility :)

Donce said:

Note that two of them - fast and tyson - desync with PrBoom Plus in the last room, so there must be some map specific issue after all.

Actually, these appear to be Doom(2).exe 1.9 demos (i.e. not Ultimate). They desync (in the same way) with Ultimate Doom's Doom.exe, and both Prboom-plus and Chocolate-Doom (when no compatibility level is forced). They play back OK with: Doom2.exe, Doom2+, Prboom-plus with -complevel 2, and Chocolate-Doom with -gameversion 1.9.

Did you perhaps record with Doom2+ renamed to Doom.exe, or something like that?

Grazza said:

Actually, these appear to be Doom(2).exe 1.9 demos (i.e. not Ultimate).

Oh. I updated the txt in the zipfile. Yeah, all this renaming thing did have some consequencies :) The files were as follows: Boom executable renamed to doom2.exe, Udoom executable - to doomexe.exe, and doom2 executable - to doom2exe.exe. I used the latter, not noticing that it wasn't the Udoom executable (before renaming Boom.exe to Doom2.exe, the executables in both Doom2 and Udoom dirs were doom2.exe, because long time ago, I used Norton Commander's extension description file, which enabled, much like in windows now, to view a demo by pressing enter on it, provided that no pwads were used).

Here's a NM run through Sidus. While the map isn't any good, it promised to be quite a mess in NM, so I decided to try it and see how it'll play. Heh, it took longer to beat than I had expected, and in the demo, there's nearly no chaos seen as in most other tries. I also included one failed attempt where a sargeant respawned right inside me. That's to demonstrate how Boom doesn't check if the respawn spot is blocked or not (there recently was a discussion about that).

Haha, Method, maybe you should pay more attention to the others' demos.:-))) (well grats for the late discovery:-)

Few levels and a few demos here. All the wads are located in the latest /newstuff.

"Shades of Gray" UV-Max in 1:17. Fun and quick little map.
Link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14778

"Beluga" UV-Max in 7:56. Very fun map to play through and record on.
Link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14781

"Gyrotechnics" UV-Max in 4:09. Very tough map, but certainly doable with the right strategy. Bonus points for using Mega Man X3 music too :P.
Link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14762

Will send to Ops now.

Those really are nice maps. I enjoyed playing them myself.
I sure didn't push like you did. Anima great job on them.

Dr. Zin said:
This is a speed-demo I did, my first ever. Obviously I am pretty incompetent, but it was pretty fun. It's for rurqta.wad.

Welcome to the wide world of speedrunning! :-D Lesson 1: always look for the shortest way to the exit. In this case, you can teleport right back to the start/exit area after having grabbed the blue key (just run up the hill to the teleporter you came from). This should let you cut your time in half. Good luck! :-)

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to sign your .txt files so people know, 2 years from now, who made the run!

Been awhile since I've recorded something. I get bogged down by other games on my PC :P.

But anyways, I did a quick demo for Frozen Inferno (Located in /newstuff #297). It's a UV-Max in 3:25. Not too shabby given some of the tricky fights near the end of this map. Under 3:20 could be a possibility here.

I'll send this to Ops right now.

If you mean you tried to attach it to your post, that feature has been broken since late 2003.

You can e-mail it to Opulent (or me, though I won't be around for the next week and a half), and we'll upload it to sda/dwdemo and post a link to it.

Anima Zero said:

Been awhile since I've recorded something. I get bogged down by other games on my PC :P.

But anyways, I did a quick demo for Frozen Inferno (Located in /newstuff #297). It's a UV-Max in 3:25. Not too shabby given some of the tricky fights near the end of this map. Under 3:20 could be a possibility here.

I'll send this to Ops right now.

Anima: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/frzn-325.zip

I did a UV Speed on esselfortium's Testing Facility in 2:00. Yeah, there are much faster demos out there that take advantage of the nukage pit jump, but he requested that I try a run without it, and it turned out pretty well.

Also, a belated thanks to Anima for maxing my map. :) It was an exciting demo to watch.

sisocran max, 4:10. Recorded last November, hoped to get under 4 minutes, but I don't possess speedrunner's luck. Requires the supplied BEX patch that makes the map exit when the cyberdemon dies*

* The map is Boom-compatible save for its use of ZDoom trickery to pretend to be E2M8. It's an extremely beautiful and highly playable map that begs for a demo, so now someone who is actually good can do it the justice it deserves I hope!

Grazza said:
It features an intercepts overflow, resulting in the "all-ghosts bug". This makes the player unable to press switches or use teleporters, so the only way you can exit a map in this state is if there is a damage/exit sector that you can reach.

In Doom2 it dies with a venetian blinds crash.

TimeOfDeath said:

Also, if anyone's interested in ZDaemon rocket jumping, here are single map speedruns of each map in Morrison[ABC]'s masterjumps5.wad (designed for normal gravity and no air control): MAP01-05 (map01 in 1:25, map02 in 0:29, map03 in 0:53, map04 in 0:12, and map05 in 1:31).

that sounds interesting. :)