Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Fantastic. Belial know this big level for sure. 862 monsters was fucked in 25 minutes!

If you can finish from scratch such levels as Deus Vult map02 and map04, then you can finish everything.

entryway said:

Fantastic. Belial know this big level for sure. 862 monsters was fucked in 25 minutes!

If you can finish from scratch such levels as Deus Vult map02 and map04, then you can finish everything.

Everything including DV MAP05? ;)

But seriously, yeah, I agree - that was a blast to watch (often quite literally). :) Great job (same for the other DV demos, too, BTW)!

Outstanding runs Belial. Delightful to watch. Nice Job.

Kristian got the 666 reply to this thread. Seems fitting with Halloween coming.

Been a while since I uploaded something, so here are a few runs from weeks past:

Doomed to run Amok UV speed (featuring a new route) in 0:15.
Bold as War UV speed (featuring a trick jump) in 0:33.

Finally, two runs for the wonderful Wonderfull Doom ->
E3M6 UV speed/pacifist in 0:20.
E3M6 UV speed/pacifist, secret exit, in 0:11.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Changed the WD file names to suit conventions.

Good to see these. Careless of me to miss that obviously shorter route in Amok though.

BTW, I would suggest a Wonderfull Doom demopack, but personally I doubt I would be able to contribute much more than technical support, coordinating, and maybe a few ideas. So I'll leave it to those with more time/enthusiasm to record to decide whether to push ahead with such a project. I think it could be good though.

One plea: as a naming convention for Wonderfull Doom demos, w?d?-xxx would be preferable (i.e. w3d6-020.lmp, etc.), as wd??-xxx has already been used for World of Deth (world.wad), and one might as well avoid unnecessary conflicts.

Grazza said:
w?d?-xxx would be preferable

And that format makes double the sense in that they are for DOOM.

I quite remember the Amok wad from an old shovelware CD. And maybe you guys also recall this, but the author showed up and posted in the T/nC thread after a while, back when it was uploaded by funduke.

Thanks, guys -- I changed the file names to follow standard conventions.

Grazza: Demopack, eh? Could be good, indeed, but would require a lot of work from a majority of the active speedrunners.

myk: Yes, I remember that moment well. It was in /newstuff #257 (and the WAD in question was the Doom 2 version of the map, as the Doom version had been uploaded by Funduke much earlier -- reviewed by Grazza in #207). I remember it well mostly because I made my 1000th DW post in that thread. ;-)

Also, it hadn't really occured to me until then that some of the authors of WADs long forgotten actually checked up on their work (and perhaps saw reviews and/or demos for it!).

Kristian Ronge said:

Also, it hadn't really occured to me until then that some of the authors of WADs long forgotten actually checked up on their work (and perhaps saw reviews and/or demos for it!).

I guess a lot of people occasionally do a web search for their own name, and so will come across these things sooner or later, even if not specifically looking for them.

Anima Zero said:
Pretty nice, but part of me is wondering if it can go any faster.

Credit goes to Mr. Baron and Mr. Demon... I saw them high five there at the end!

Since CC3 is nearing its release at long last, I've gone back to speedrunning again. I did make a few runs during its development, but those will probably wait until later. For now, here are my first five contributions to the Wonderful(l) Doom demo pool:

W1D2-038 - Wonderful Doom (WD1.WAD) E1M2 in 00:38 (UV speed)
W2D1-048 - Wonderful Doom (WD1.WAD) E2M1 in 00:48 (UV speed)
W2D9-048 - Wonderful Doom (WD1.WAD) E2M9 in 00:48 (UV speed)
W3D1-037 - Wonderful Doom (WD1.WAD) E3M1 in 00:37 (UV speed)
W3D2-019 - Wonderful Doom (WD1.WAD) E3M2 in 00:19 (UV speed / pacifist)

I currently can't upload to my own webspace due to a "disk full" error, so I've sent them to Opulent for publishing. Hope you enjoy them!

Thanks for the heads up, Coldfusio, I fixed the link in amok-015.txt to the correct one ( ../levels/doom/a-c/amok11t.zip instead of ../levels/doom2/a-c/amok11t.zip), note that the former link -- to the Doom version of the WAD -- works.

While I'm at it, I might as well upload a max run of 1monster map 18 in 4:38. The demo should work for all the latest versions of the WAD.

That's funny, I had watched the demo, missing the link in the text file, and thus using the proper (DOOM) version.

Coldfusio, note that the DLW often modifies wads for Doom Legacy, sometimes making them incompatible with demos recorded using the original files (although maybe not in this level's case).

For 1monster.wad I recorded a tyson demo for map06 in 5:41 but I don't want to upload it because I also got almost 20secs faster run with one imp missing :-/ Great map btw. :-)

Heh, I guess Andrey can now play through the level, as that is by a bit quicker than what he said it takes for it to crash for him.

Grazza said:

Pretty obvious trick:

Community Chest 3 map28 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:06. Boom-format demo.

Heh heh, holy crap. How did I not notice this? I wonder if RjY intended that, too...

In any case, I'll make a new Community Chest series demo thread as soon as I get a demo recorded for each iteration. :)

EDIT: Clarified second paragraph.

I didn't deliberately build it that way, but I discovered the trick some time later and intentionally left it in. :)

I'm not surprised at all that Grazza found it but I'm impressed he found it so quickly. Well done. :)

RjY said:

I'm not surprised at all that Grazza found it but I'm impressed he found it so quickly. Well done. :)

Sequence of events: entryway comments about a crash he got in this map. I take a look at the map to see if I get any problems. I immediately see that there is a similar set-up to ksutra map10, so the same exit idea might be possible. I remember that with Boom a corpse can slide through things. I also remember that an archie blast won't push the player backwards if the blast is "absorbed" by being in the void or a sector with similar properties reject-wise (in c328p006.lmp my health at exit is -3, not -66; use "-trace_thingshealth 0" to see that). So really it was inevitable that I would notice this idea as soon as I saw the map, and without any creative thinking. The recording session just lasted a few minutes. Praise is welcome, though probably not justified. ;)

Coldfusio: if you found you were falling short of the exit line, I'd guess you were losing some speed due to the archie blast. If you time it so the blast occurs within the "window", then you should make it pretty reliably. More info here. Strafe-50 will also make it less likely to fall short, of course.

The Green Herring said:

In any case, I'll make a new Community Chest series demo thread as soon as I get a demo recorded for each iteration. :)

It would be useful if you could confirm whether there is likely to be another release, or if this is fairly likely to be the final release on which people can start recording. Not suggesting that I think there are bugs to fix, but it's just nice to know one way or the other.

Did my first demos for cc3.

Started with a map32 UV-Max in 5:05. Still improvable (Sub-5 is possible), but a rather tough map to get a quick time on. The 2nd half of the level is reason enough :P.

Then quickly did map28 NM-Speed+Pacifist in 0:05. Got it on my first try.

Attaching demos now.

c3demos.zip