Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Yeah, I have since learned this from Grazza. When I first sent this demo set to Doug for posting, he ran into some desynching problems with all but two of them. He tried running them with Prboom-plus 2.4.8.2 (on both WinXP Home Edition & Win98se) without success. (By the way, I used WinXP Pro when I recorded them.) After Doug told me about the problem, I went back and re-recorded (using -complevel 3) a couple of the demos he had problems with to see if that might be the issue. But those wouldn't play for him either.

Grazza then took a look at them, and he was able to get all 10 demos to work using Vista. However when he tried to run them in XP Home Ed., he ran into the same problems Doug had. So the problem's being looked into.

Not sure if the above link has the fixed ones or not but they ran fine on my win 98 box this morning using prboom-plus-2.4.8.2.test-win32 which I had downloaded Jan. 7, 2007. I didn't test it with anything else. It is my default, for the time being, in my doom folder. It chose, from the stdout file: boom v2.02 compatibility. If it helps.

Nice runs on another outstanding map set.

Love the beauty and the classic feel in those maps.

You boys speak strange things. All these demos work fine with b2b.wad from archive (4 251 458) in prboom+ and it can't depends from your OS if no overflows happens. What is the problem? Maybe you have old version (4 334 839 bytes) of b2b.wad?

Hmm yeah, looks like different versions of the wad on different computers. I've updated the comment in the earlier post accordingly.

Grazza said:

Hmm yeah, looks like different versions of the wad on different computers. I've updated the comment in the earlier post accordingly.

That's funny because I have been wondering if that might have something to do with it. But it seemed like such a simple suggestion, I was hesitant to mention it. But thinking back, when Espi posted his updated version within only a couple of days or so after he posted the original, I didn't remember seeing a note in the forums about it. I only found out about it because when Espi saw that I had sent in a demo, he emailed me wanting to make sure I knew he had resubmitted the wad because of changes he had had to make to it. Anyway, thanks Grazza for looking into and finding the source of the problem.

I recorded something. For some reason I chose a wad that is liable to be changed soon, so if the demo desyncs by the time you get around to downloading the wad, then that would be the reason. It works with the copy that is there right now, at any rate.

Ultimate Doom 2, map20, UV Pacifist in 0:12

The route features two thing glides to skip linedefs and thus avoid the need for keys.

ul20p012.zip

By the way, Grazza, did you find that wad by chance, or did the guy (which could be sarge baldy's cousin, heh) post here or somewhere? Does it work fine using v1.9 compatibility throughout?

Gusta said:

I have recorded something for Alien Vendetta - map05 Tyson in 5:04

Sweet demo Gusta! We don't see many new tysons these days. I think yours are about the only ones I've seen lately, and they've all been first class. :)

myk said:

By the way, Grazza, did you find that wad by chance, or did the guy (which could be sarge baldy's cousin, heh) post here or somewhere? Does it work fine using v1.9 compatibility throughout?

He posted about it at Newdoom. The wad features some visual glitches (some maps are affected pretty badly), and while it is intended to be non-port-specific, there may well be other portisms/Zdoomisms, given the manner of its testing.

Marco said:

Sweet demo Gusta! We don't see many new tysons these days. I think yours are about the only ones I've seen lately, and they've all been first class. :)

Thanks, I am happy that you like them :-) I still have some runs on my to-do list so you can expect more tyson demos in the future :-)

Here's a set of demos that resulted from a recording session starting last night. They're for FROZEN.WAD, a deathmatch level by the creator of ENDOOMER with single-player elements which was also the source of the custom sky used in H2H-XMAS. It also has one of the most poorly-designed exits I've ever seen! Despite having only 34 monsters, doing a UV max of this one was hard due to a tough luck-based portion. There is both a UV speed demo, and two different max demos with the same time (although one's a few milliseconds slower.)

The map has no Secrets to be found; thus, both max demos will end with 0% Secrets if you're viewing them in vanilla Doom. In any case, here they are!

FRZN-TGH - UV demos for The Day Hell Froze Over... (FROZEN.WAD) by Zink the Dink, including:

• FRZN-005 - UV speed in 00:05
  • FRZN-051 - UV max in 00:51
  • FRZNa051 - UV max in 00:51 (alternate)
EDIT (1/21/2008 6:16 AM PST): Dates in .txt file corrected.
EDIT (1/21/2008 1:24 PM PST): URL fixed. Thanks, myk!

Good demo set. I actually added the flat from the old XmasDoom* to watch them. The Innuendo bit was annoying mostly because of the sound volume (way, way too high). Curiously it's a DM level but not really, as the author said he didn't test it in that mode.

* Both wads were for the Christmas of 1994

Well, two hours ago, I beat one of Maikl's max times again, with a speed demo added on for completion's sake. More may follow. The record was broken by a minute and twenty-three seconds. Check it out!

ADRW-TGH - UV demos for ANDREW.WAD by Kicker55, including:

• ADRW-012 - UV speed in 0:12
  • ADRW-117 - UV max in 1:17

Well, I finally went and improved my UV speed record on DM2GM2. I also recorded a UV max for it, as well as a -nomonsters demo. Oh, and I uploaded an Memento Mori MAP11 UV -respawn demo to the Compet-N incoming as well; check the Compet-N incoming/ topic to find it.

DGM2-TGH - UV demos for DM2GM2.WAD by Eric Reuter, including:

• DGM2-019 - UV speed in 00:19
  • DGM2o012 - UV -nomonsters speed in 00:12.51
  • DGM2-249 - UV max in 02:49

Cool demos, Grazza! A long map made short is always nice, no matter how much you got blocked (that Demon near the end seemed to be a particularly massive asshole.)

On Saturday, I celebrated my 21st birthday, as could be noticed in the text file for mm11r242. But did you know that I did a speedmap that day as well? It's called "Year 21 -The Vanishing Point-," it requires Boom, and it's available on idgames now. And so I did a demo pack for it. These demos are in all the Compet-N categories except for NM speed and UV pacifist. Check them out.

YR21-TGH Demos for Year 21 -The Vanishing Point- (YEAR_21.WAD) by Eric "The Green Herring" Baker, including:

• YR21-034 - UV speed in 00:34
  • YR21-102 - UV max in 01:02
  • YR21s107 - NM100S in 01:07
  • YR21f103 - UV -fast in 01:03
  • YR21r100 - UV -respawn in 01:00
  • YR21t110 - UV Tyson in 01:10

Hah, after eons I played some doom again. I happened to play The Pumping Station, an OK map, which was too easy on UV but took a few tries on NM. Comments are in the txt. I'm attaching the file, but you can download it here if you don't want to wait.

P.S. When I submitted the post, I saw some error message regarding the attached file, together with "Thank you for posting...", so I'm not sure it got attached correctly.

thpnm552.zip

I revisited my old favorite !PIPE!.WAD today. Last August, when I completed the NM100S run for it, I thought I'd never try to improve, so much seemed to be based on luck. Today I watched that demo and thought it was too slow, too cautious; so I sat down to it again. The rather large speed improvement was not surprising, the ease it yielded with was. Perhaps the level is not as hard as I imagined.

Here is the new run: !PIPE!NS.

BTW, I put up the demos mentioned in this post earlier in this thread on my webpage as well, as they are not in the SDA /incoming any longer. They are

WADPAK2: Wadpak2_na (27 -fast max runs for all levels + 2 bonus NM!)
ZAPHOD12.WAD: zaphod12_na (-fast max)
ZARNEK.WAD: zarnek_na (-fast max, load the fixed version that's in the demo ZIP to see it)
ZEUS.WAD: zeus_na (-fast max, someone had more luck than I submitting the level to the idgames archive)

Edit: kudos to Grazza for the new !PIPE! demo -auto running with his patterns list with no need to update!

Not a demo as such, but I noticed recently that all the pages on the DSF website (lmp.netfirms.com) had been overwritten by some kind of javascript virus or trojan or something nasty. So all the pages and demos have been restored.

Maybe it was a bad idea to leave the FTP password on the index page :)

Been recording some DAC demos the past few days. Here's what I've done:

dac6: UV-Max in 1:56, UV-fast in 1:47
dac11: UV-Max in 2:05, UV-fast in 2:20
dac12: UV-Max in 3:40, UV-fast in 4:32
dac14: UV-Max in 4:38, UV-fast in 6:17

Put all the demos into one zipfile and attaching it now.

dacdemos.zip

Anima's demos reminded me DAC so I looked on the maps again and recorded map02 tyson in 4:54 ... just to have fun ... don't expect much :-)

dac2t454.zip

First exit uvmax on Ruma in 7:24.
A lot of improvements to do, fun map.
(please wait the attachment)

Btw I want to know if prboom-plus is allowed for the dsda (I like his mouse behavior and it's my usual port for playing).
Because I want to optimize a bit this run to submit it for the dsda.

ruma-724-kira.zip