Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Man, with the HR-related posts moved to the HR thread, now it's going to look like I'm quadruple-posting... Oh well. :p

Anyway, I've got two new demos. Both of them are for what appears to be the earliest level designed by Daniel Norman, creator of The Gathering.

LTDY-TGH.ZIP - UV demos for Light of Day (LITEODAY.WAD) by Daniel Norman

• LTDY-143.LMP - UV speed in 1:43
  • LTDY-355.LMP - UV max in 3:55

Been awhile since I posted some demos, but I did a small pack of demos for Diet32in24. Going to try to complete every level UV-fast style if possible.

Did the first 3 maps in that style. Times...

Map 01- 1:11
Map 02- 2:14
Map 03- 1:21 (Almost matching my UV-Max time!)

I'll be doing more tomorrow. Maps 4 and 6 oughta be simple enough to record. Map 5 isn't going to be pleasant however. Map 7...well, I'm not even sure I'll be able to survive the cybies :P.

Attaching zipfile now.

32dfdemos.zip

Did 6 more UV-fast demos for Diet32in24. Map 5 was indeed a tricky one, but doable.

Map 7...never again. Yeah it was possible, but I didn't like it (Then again, how I did this on my 3rd time that I reached the cybies...luck I think).

Times for the demos...

Map 4- 1:45
Map 5- 3:28
Map 6- 2:16
Map 7- 6:13
Map 8- 2:15
Map 9- 1:05

Attaching zipfile now.

32dfdemos2.zip

Oh, God, I'm quadruple-posting again! :O Here are demos for two ancient wads from the days where you couldn't build your own nodes. Both wads are on the DSDA.

AGH1-TGH.ZIP - UV demos for Argh! Level 1 (ARGH!_1.WAD) by Joe Pantuso

• AGH1-042.LMP - UV speed in 0:42
  • AGH1-133.LMP - UV max in 1:33
DKNS-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DARKNESS iN HELLsinki (DARKNESS.WAD) by Pasi Nikkanen
  • DKNS-003.LMP - UV speed in 0:03
  • DKNSn003.LMP - NM speed in 0:03
  • DKNS-112.LMP - UV max in 1:12
  • DKNSs021.LMP - NM100S in 0:21

FCDM6.WAD UV-speed in 6:42

Thanks to Hitherto's post I fell in love in this level.
This is UV-"speed". The demo follows the route from Hitherto's max run for a while (of course a few monsters are skipped). The demo has some lame moments and I am sure it would be easy to beat it.

fds-642.zip

Nice work, Andy, but I should note that Lost Souls are ignored by Doom's kill counter, and thus, they can be safely ignored when going for 100% Kills. ;)

Anyway, here are two new demos. One is for a level by a certain famous PWAD musician. The other is for a rather pointless edit of the level by another author. Only watch the latter if you want to witness an interesting bug. ;)

MKMN-342.ZIP - UV max on The Lost Mines (MKMINES.WAD) by Mark Klem in 3:42 (WARNING: spechits overflow)
CSW2-240.ZIP - UV max on Chainsaw Man (version 2) (ChainSw2.wad) by Sam Dickie (based on the above) in 2:40

One day before my birthday and I decided to do a demo at random.

You know how I mentioned in one of my old diet32in24 txtfiles that any level that uses Megaman X3 music seems to almost always be a real kick in the pants in terms of difficulty on UV?

This demo was done on a level that has MMX3 music playing on it, coming from Toxic Seahorse's stage.

Yeah, a little visit to an old favorite from Community Chest 2, map 23, "Death Mountain". UV-Max isn't that painful honestly.

So how do I make it tougher? Turn it into a UV-fast run.

Yeah, this level is borderline not suited for playing on UV-fast. Meager weaponry to start out with + luck based crap + tight fighting quarters + bull demons & spectres on -fast = What the christ is this person doing a UV-fast on a level like this?

The answer...I don't know. I think I'm really crazy at times.

Anyways, the time for this UV-fast demo is 22:26. Could go faster, but I'm not going to try anytime soon. This level is just so painful on UV-fast.

Now then, I'm posting this, then going to shower, take some aspirin, and lie down because I'm all spent after this demo. Took me the better part of my afternoon to get this exit.

Demo will be attached now.

c223f2226.zip

Did another Community Chest 2 UV-fast this morning, but this time it's for map 17. Unlike the demo I did yesterday, this one didn't make me want to toss a pillow.

Time for the run is 6:40. Still could be improved in a couple places, but otherwise a pretty good time.

Attaching now.

c217f640.zip

Any interest in doing map 24? :)

That's my favorite map from that wad. There's still no max demo due to the switch bug, but there's been a patch for a while now.

Holy crap! Talk about a blast from the past. Yes, the design sucks, but the whole thing was basically me experimenting with editing(hence, no cohesive theme). I look back on that sometimes and think, "How could I have released such a bad level?" Unmarked secrets, teleporters with the linedefs facing the wrong way. But then I remember, "Hey, at least I got the gameplay right." :-)

To keep myself occupied for awhile until Claustrophobia 1024 comes out, I did a quick UV-fast for Community Chest 2 map 14, Shadow of Evil. Time is pretty good, 6:27.

Attaching demo now.

c214f627.zip

Never thought you could get an exit on MAP02 that's less than four minutes... nice! And I agree: MAP07 is a bitch and a half. Hell, I haven't even completed it yet!

In any case, here's more Fiffy action, after a long delay. Just a max demo, though; I'm not sure I want to try UV speed on this. ;p

FIF2-530.ZIP - UV max on REoL TOUGH: Satan's Castle (FIFFY2.WAD) by George Fiffy in 5:30

For additional entertainment, read the WAD's readme file. ;)

More Fiffy action to come later.

Following a thread on alt.games.doom I recorded a max demo on sewv12r.wad from dmsewv.zip in 26:33 EDIT: link removed, see below It's more or less a first exit (well, second exit) It is mildly cheated - I had the map cheat turned on. I also mistakenly recorded it with the wrong compatibility level (Doom2 v1.9 rather than Ultimate Doom v1.9). A command line similar to

$ prboom -iwad doomu -file sewv12r.wad -playdemo sevw12r-2633.lmp -complevel 2
should play it back.

EDIT: made another version, 21:35. The old link was removed, but the contents included in the zip. This version was deliberately recorded in Boom complevel, for bugfixes to allow 100% kills.

Well, it's not really the wrong compatibility, just not what we're used to sharing; DOOM instead of The Ultimate DOOM.

Insane Trip 1 by darkdave1985 uvspeed in 1:14 (zdoom 2.2.0)
Dominion of Madess by Mechadon - uvspeed in 2:49 (complevel 9)

I assumed jumping is illegal in itrip, but I couldn't play it any other way and darkdave said to use ZDoom and didn't mention anything about not jumping...
There are a bunch of glide spots in Mechadon's map, but I couldn't do them so I just went the normal way.

two demos on coopbuildlm by Toke (zdoom 2.2.0)

map02 max with deaths 6:36
map19 max no deaths 32:02

This wad was intended for infinite ammo and deaths, so no heckling plz. The map19 demo was also supposed to be reality, but I got hit and almost quit.

coopbuildlm dmflags: -host 1, no jumping, no crouching, no freelook, lose entire inventory after death, weapons stay

entryway said:
heh

Well, it should just say 'advanced' Boom compatible on the top, in my opinion, perhaps with a "(see below)" after it. And even if 2.5.0.2 were totally required, as opposed to being the optimal choice, it's easy to miss the detail of a minor version number. And "Core2Duo" is probably rather more than enough, as even on my system it's not that much slower than Nuts (unlike I thought it would be).

The 'advanced' Boom compatible requirement seems to be a fact, as in Boom, all the submitted demos desynch. I also tested it in Boom on UV (but with iddqd and superwep8) and while everything seemed to work (aside from visually, that is), Boom just froze when I walked over the exit line. I tried it twice, and the second time I noticed the screen melted slightly (I mean the screen transition effect) at the top and on the status bar. Is that some sort of memory overflow?

Here's a max demo on my recently-released 4th of July 24-hour speedmap. It was recorded on an updated version (fixing the inability to get 100% Kills in Boom) which is currently sitting in idgames/incoming/, so until the update is accepted and applied across all mirrors, it'll be included with the demo. (The WAD should be dated July 6, 2009, 11:26 PM, and have a CRC32 of 50993BDE.) Read the WAD's text file and play the WAD first before watching it. ;) If you want to record a demo on it yourself, please use the included version.

FWRX-249.ZIP - UV max on The Fireworks Factory (FIREWORX.WAD) by Eric "The Green Herring" Baker in 2:49

• FIREWORX.ZIP - updated version of FIREWORX.WAD, required for playback

After nearly a month, here's more Fiffy action, as promised. I would have done FIFFY3.WAD next, but its description directly referenced FIFFYWAR.WAD, which isn't on the idgames archive. Thankfully, I managed to find it on cd.textfiles.com, allowing me to record on it. E1M1 was his actual first level (or a "remake" of it, anyway,) rather than FIFFY.WAD, and E1M2 often has so many monsters (and, occasionally, ammo) on the screen at a time that it overloads Doom's visible sprites limit, à la NUTS. E1M8, meanwhile, is an edit of Doom's E1M8, which is probably why the WAD's not on idgames. Check the demos out.

FFWR-TGH.ZIP - UV demos on REoL TOUGH: The Total War package (FIFFYWAR.WAD) by George Fiffy

• F1W1-004.LMP - UV speed on E1M1 in 0:04
  • F1W1-143.LMP - UV max on E1M1 in 1:43
  • F1W2-052.LMP - UV speed on E1M2 in 0:52
  • F1W2-826.LMP - UV max on E1M2 in 8:26
  • F1W8-131.LMP - UV speed on E1M8 in 1:31
  • F1W8-545.LMP - UV max on E1M8 in 5:45
More Fiffy action to come.

I did UV-max runs for Espi`s Back II Basics.

e2m1 in 6:39 e2m6 in 11:18
e2m2 in 9:23 e2m7 in 10:21
e2m3 in 6:23 e2m8 in 3:59
e2m4 in 6:05 e2m9 in 2:52
e2m5 in 8:39

b2b_lmps.zip

I managed to greatly improve my "silent pacifist" run of longdays.wad, by trimming it down to an incredible 5:29 (considering that I had to awaken monsters only by my presence, as firing is not allowed at all in "silent" pacifist).

Try beating that under the same conditions ;-)

I recorded it with GlBoom+ 2.5.0.2 -complevel 9.

Yeah, I know of the 2.5.0.3 issue but I was too lazy to discover where the download for that is.

lodap529.zip