Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

TimeOfDeath said:

I'm gonna try to spam rockets at them from a distance if I try again.

For reality, might be possible to release both inner 8x vile groups right at the beginning while you have the invulnerability (plus maybe some cybers to infight them easier) before hiding in the stairs. That was very close though.

Never_Again said:
Richard Dale Carlson

By the email address and some googling, I noticed this guy was in Ion Storm, for Anachronox.

Never_Again said:

To celebrate DOOM's 16th anniversary, I'm clearing a backlog of demos that dates back to May. First, from the now-familiar "meet Maikl from the other end of the alphabet" series:

Thank you, great demos for doom's birthday.

• Christmas DOOM (XMAS1.WAD) by Yukio Ide (aka Waizu). UV Max: 2:24. You will either love or hate the new sounds.

• Uhmmm...I didn't want to remember the garbage which was made by a Japanese.

ArmouredBlood said:

4:58 UV speed of map29 of Shai'tan's Luck. Gotta self-promote a little :P

I really like this map. At first glance, seeing this much ammo and health feels completely ridiculous, but you've done a fantastic job at making it fun and challenging.

The overabundance of supplies is also great to let PRBoom newbies like me try their hand at recording... ;)

Map29 UV speed in 2:05
    -complevel 9, -longtics

I wanted to change the attachment (mistake in text file) but it didn't let me upload a new one once the first one was deleted.

sl29-205.zip

Nice one phml, your time is a lot better than mine O.o I get distracted and fight stuff when I don't need to >.<

I was considering if I put too much stuff in on UV, but then maxing it would take a lot longer. I guess it makes it easier on prboom but there's not too much difference between bfging things in boom and zdoom ;P

Phml said:
    I wanted to change the attachment (mistake in text file) but it didn't let me upload a new one once the first one was deleted.

No problem. It's perfectly fine to make a new post in such cases. Besides, it alarms people that the fixed demo has been posted by bumping the thread and adding it to the new posts list, which wouldn't happen with a mere edit.

I wanted to max SL map29, but these imps on tall buildings were so tedious to kill I gave up at 98%. Slowest UV speed ever ?

If there's any trick to killing stuff on very high ledges, hit me up. GZDoom newbie here who plays most of the time with autoaim off and free mouselook, so I'm not used to this. ;)

sl29-1656.zip

Nice phml. You forgot the mancubi in the water though ;P Auto-aim is kinda funky, it works only when you're within 1024 units of your target and seems to pull a little to the left of zdoom, or at least for me. In this case I'd say chaingun/shotty would work best on lone imps and rocket large groups, the bfg won't trace the imps in the back so you'll waste the time of 2 bfgs for 1 rocket in some cases. If I actually made the tower level with the houses and made the other 3 hollow you could have used that but adding the imps was a last day decision I should probably have not done -.- Also if you time it right you can take advantage of infinitely tall actors to splash damage the imps to death. I didn't put enough rocket ammo in to really spam it though ...

P.S. Now check out MAP28 and 30 ;P

vdgg said:

here are all the UV Max demos for Death Tormention 3, Whispers of Satan predecessor. Almost 2 hours in total.

About a textures problem. It's looks like a segs error. I know at least 2 more wads with this bug. It's Vae Victus and Deus Vult map05. In glboom-plus v.2.5.0.2 this problem was solved (opengl only):

2.5.0.2 @ 2008-May-09: GLBoom-Plus now renders per linedef instead of per seg.

I also wanted to record demopak for dt3 at the beginning of this year, but i stopped, because i think this wad needs a re-release version without all "zdoomism".
    Anyway, here's the max demos, which I have:

e3m9 -  1:35 -complevel 3
    e4m1 -  4:31 -complevel 3
    e4m2 -  5:27 -complevel 3
    e4m3 - 11:18 -complevel 9
    e4m4 - 18:29 -complevel 3

dt3-hrt.zip

REJECT

I don't really understand all that stuff ; I just use DB2. Would switching the nodebuilder in DB2 to whatever configuration I was using in previous maps work too ?

In any case, thanks for the heads up.

Edit : Followed your instructions, but I couldn't get Boom to work to test if it does. Looking at the wad in SlumpEd it has a higher than 0 REJECT lump now, here's the link : http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/documents/zip/1035_phmlspd.html

Phml said:
    Would switching the nodebuilder in DB2 to whatever configuration I was using in previous maps work too ?

For future Boom maps that's the way to go, although the ZenNode command line you just used made sure NODES and BLOCKMAP lumps were untouched (as the existing demos need them that way) while the REJECT got built as required.

I couldn't get Boom to work to test if it does. Looking at the wad in SlumpEd it has a higher than 0 REJECT lump now,

Yeah, that WAD does the trick. An alternative to Boom is PrBoom v2.02, a plain port of Boom to Windows.

The Green Herring said:

Everyone, please welcome the first demo release of 2010. This one was done at the suggestion of Super Jamie. I hope you like it, Jamie, 'cause I'm fed up with it for reasons explained in the text file.

YEST-356.ZIP - UV max on Yesterday's Nightmare (yestrday.wad) by Ray Schmitz in 3:56

Haha, I love it! Nice "jump" to get to the SSG, I didn't notice you could do that. There's only a few tiny mistakes so I think it's a pretty damn good run.

I'd never studied the level's teleports, sorry for the less-than-ideal suggestion. I usually end up walking around looking at everything and listening to the music for a few minutes after I've killed everything anyway, it's such a beautiful level :3

Good round-up, especially by going for the baron and the switch quickly.

The Green Herring said:
    Turns out, it's something even worse: there is a random chance that at least one of the teleporting pinkies will warp into the level in front of the red door, several feet up and away from the courtyard. The question I must ask is: Why? The player has absolutely no reason to return there! Why would you have a monster appear in an area that has no further use, other than to make the player waste time backtracking just to kill it? The mind boggles.

Hah, I'm guessing it was so that if someone ran back up there in poor health to avoid the hordes he'd get attacked by something. Locking the upper area up with bars or requiring a jump down after the red key bars would have been less disruptive of max kills attempts.

Thanks again myk, all good information to know. :)

go3.wad UV speed in 1:56

PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6
    -complevel 9
    HUD used

Here's a demo that actually looks like a speedrun rather than a "hey, I beat this level at all" like my previous one. :p

go3-156.zip

On December 28, 2009, I released Year 22 on Doomworld and uploaded it to idgames/ the same day. It's been in newstuff/ since at least December 31. As of today, you can now download it from the HTML frontend. To commemorate this, I recorded a UV max demo that shows the level's intended route. :)

YR22-437.ZIP - UV max on Year 22 -A Rock and a Hard Place- (YEAR_22.WAD) by yours truly in 4:37

Decided to revisit an old classic I recorded on back in my keyboarder days, Europa 3 - The Dark Side of Vrack.

Recorded a UV-Max with a time of 6:17, 40 seconds quicker than my UV-Max from a few years ago. One enemy never teleports in, hence why the HUD will show me being one kill shy before exiting.

Pretty speedy demo. Can't seem to improve it ATM despite some slip-ups here (I nearly kill myself as I escape the YK area) and a need to detour for health and armor before tackling the area behind the YK door.

Could still go ~5-10 seconds faster.

eur3-617.zip