Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

since there is like 2 pages worth of phmlspd demos... shouldn't it get it's own thread? :)

Longdays UV speed in 2:31

PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6
-complevel 9
HUD used

Nothing to write home about.

On this map, I wonder if a glide to the exit would be possible ? It's easy to push an archvile down with a BFG blast on the side and then AV jump to the exit platform. There's at least 34 map pixels at any position between the doors and the pillars. I gave it a shot but not knowing how to glide I can't know if it's impossible or if it's just me doing it wrong.

lodas-231.zip

Posting to get an attachment for a problem in something gothic. Specifically, in prboom + 2.5.0.5, I've had a mancubus shoot through a wall (1:25 in the demo), so it might just be unclosed sectors, but I had this happen to me in another location of the same map (the little ante-chamber before the 'crypt park'), so maybe I didn't make the sectors properly. It looks right in DB2 though.

sogothuvmax2.zip

It could be "Mancubus fireball clipping" bug which is caused by Doom engine behavior. It's a bug, but it's rather common and normal (more often in -fast mode, as in -fast Hell Knights fireballs can pass through walls, too). I can't say anything about the demo, because it goes out of sync for me right away.

vdgg said:
It could be "Mancubus fireball clipping" bug which is caused by Doom engine behavior. It's a bug, but it's rather common and normal (more often in -fast mode, as in -fast Hell Knights fireballs can pass through walls, too).

Yeah, if I am not mistaken, the option to "fix" this was added to MBF, so Boom compatibility has this behavior.

For some reason, it seems that the fireballs fired at an angle are the ones that tend to go through walls. So it's best to not move away from where the straight shots will hit the intercepting wall.

Faster projectiles tend to trigger this glitch more often. This is one reason why applying very high projectile speeds with DeHackEd is not a good idea.

myk said:

Faster projectiles tend to trigger this glitch more often. This is one reason why applying very high projectile speeds with DeHackEd is not a good idea.

Heh, sounds like a funny way to make a railgun shoot through walls. Quasar explained this to me in the prboom thread in source ports, but thanks for answering here ;)

Malinku said:
reposting it here (even though its not a good time)

made with prboom-plus-2.5.0.4

I moved Anima's level 32 demo to the new thread, but the reason I didn't move yours is because it's not Boom compatible. (See tatsurd's post and this thread.) In any case, it's cool that you reposted it as an attachment, as now it'll stay on the forum.

I just did a 1:42 pacifist run for t-sp4f. Great level by the way, and unfortunately I have the bad habit of discarding text files. Anyone knows the author ?

Odd thing is, a chaingunner kills his friend and then goes back to sleep. Is this normal Doom 2 behavior ? I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to the vanilla game.

PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6
-complevel 2
HUD used

Edit : updated a zip here with text files corrected, includes the 6:41 max.

tvegasphml.zip

Phml said:

I just did a 1:42 pacifist run for t-sp4f

Considering the map's not even on idgames, you might want to include it in your demo zip, or at least post a link to where we can get it?

And yeah, if a monster infights and hasn't seen you (or sometimes if you aren't visible when it kills its foe) then it goes back into a rest state.

Problem is I don't remember where I got it. I thought it was from /newstuff but indeed it's not on idgames, so I don't know. I would rather not upload a wad without the author's permission, at least not before a few days (someone who might have/know this wad could see this thread and chime in).

UV Max demo for the same map (01)

Edit : See previous post, same zip as the Pacifist.

Sweet, thanks. Guess I'll have to give the finished wad a go then. :)

Edit : just checked it and it's pretty much the same than I played. Both demos replay correctly. I'll just update the text files then.

Okay, folks, here is the longest non-FDA demo I've recorded yet. But it's not because the level is, y'know, long or anything. It's because this level has the worst monster teleporters I have ever seen. Seriously, watch it if you want to see exactly how not to make them. They're so bad that I ended up using the automap cheat late in the demo because I wondering what was taking the monsters longer to come out than usual in this particular session. Do it yourself and you'll understand my anger at this point.

WAR51956.ZIP - UV max on REoL TOUGH: Total War V: Chambers of Death (WAR5.WAD) by George Fiffy in 19:56 (!!!)

Okay, after that veritable shitfest, here's a demo on a much better level to compensate. This was suggested by both Super Jamie and lupinx-Kassman. Little did I know that there was already a max demo recorded for it, included as an in-game demo -- by none other than stx-Vile! I've included his demo, extracted from the WAD, alongside mine so you can compare the two. In the end, I only managed to beat his record by one second! This has given me more appreciation for his skill than ever.

NETH-418.ZIP - UV max on Neith (neith.wad) by Owen "Sarge Baldy" Lloyd in 4:18

• Includes a UV max demo in 4:19 by Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore (DEMO1, extracted from neith.wad)

The Green Herring said:

• Includes a UV max demo in 4:19 by Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore (DEMO1, extracted from neith.wad)

That was great! Some of those Demons were way too stubborn vs your Berserk, loved the Rocket into the Zombies too. That's gotta be close to a perfect run, there'd only be about 2 seconds of improvement left in it.

Nice job TGH. I hadn't really thought about it until I saw the demo, but I could see people doing tyson runs on that map. It almost looks as if it were practically built for melee :P.

I watched stx' demo after that, talk about getting lucky with berserk, I think there are only 2 Demons and a single Spectre which take more than two punches to fell. Compare that to the multiple 4-punch Demons TGH fought.

Drew also seems to waste alot of time with the Cacos, and grabs a Backpack he doesn't really need. Maybe the time could be improved on by more than a few seconds, but the amount of time and skill it would take, ouch.

The Green Herring said:

Great run, GH. It is kind of an odd map, though not nearly so odd as the sequel. I just played that for the first time in years and got badly lost in several parts.

UV Max demo for E2M2 from Rip It, Tear It, Smash It by Chris Hansen.
This WAD may be very well known among veterans, but I haven't checked
it out until recently, despite its presence in "100 WADs of all time". I guess I avoided it because of its pretentious title... Anyway, the WAD has two maps, a small E2M1 and a big E2M2. The small one didn't impress me at all! The big one, however, is as good as Obituary Written by the same author, my favourite Episode 3 level from 2002ADO.

rts2-923.zip

Malinku said:

A speed run of Odyssey map 2
time: :01
found that the exit can be hit before it rises up

Has anyone experienced actual exit when watching? What I see is: the player runs to the intersection, stops, a few seconds pass, no intermission screen.