Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

I believe that if you're interested in competitive speedrunning, it's best to use the recommended compatibility so everyone is on same grounds. ZDoom-based ports for Boom maps aren't right as there's lots of changes giving significant advantages to the player over good old Doom/Boom. Another disadvantage of using ZDoom-based ports is that it desyncs with every new version.

For Speed of Doom, you'd ideally want to use Boom, PrBoom or PrBoom+. Per the authors themselves, the recommended engine is PrBoom+ (complevel 9).

Of course, you're free to use whatever engine you choose, but be aware that the interest for speedrunning in ZDoom engines is close to nil. Outside of rocketjumping maps in ZDaemon and the occasional ZDoom-specific wad, not many demos are recorded for it.

In my opinion, it's also best to mention which category you're competing in, and the time. You might also want to use the attachment system provided by the forums, it's faster and more reliable than clunky filehosts for quick demo sharing.

Nice. You are fast for the first attempt. And this map was designed for First Demo Attempt Contest on iddqd ru :) Do not remember times, but you would win :)

(Baker's Dozen FDA)
Cool. Your reply inspired me to have another go at it, so I tried Map02.

I... wasn't so successfull this time. :)

3 deaths, 4th run finishes in 9:42 with 100% kills, 40% secrets. Total time is about 25 minutes.

bd02fdaphml.zip

Since I haven't noticed anyone else doing it, I've made a run of Whispers of Satan level 7, demonstrating how to push a switch through a barrier, thus skipping a big chunk of the map. By doing this you can avoid having to kill any mancubuses or arachnotrons. You can also complete a no-monsters run this way, and since I'm a wimp, that's exactly what I did. See attachment for the underwhelming but mercifully short run.

ws07o056.zip

Baker's Dozen
FDAs for Map03 to 06

Total times :
Map03 ~6:50
Map04 5:30
Map05 ~6:34
Map06 ~10:12

Also tried Map07, but... It's just too embarrassing to show. I didn't even manage to finish it, the cyberdemon always kills me. :)

bdfda3to6phml.zip

(Speaking about Baker's Dozen FDAs)
The whole point of first demo attempts is to start recording without any previous knowledge of the map. ;)

Time was actually ~6:50, I was looking at the wrong text file.

DoomHero85 said:

Anyone else think there should be a separate category on the sda for perfect runs?

I think all necessary categories are there

Expert (DOS executable: iwads and 'classic' pwads)
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/36101-compet-n-et-al-incoming-links-and-discussion/

Misc (any port: any levels)
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/23669-miscellaneous-demos/

First Demo Attempts (any port: any levels)
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/49306-first-attempt-demos/

DoomHero85 said:

Anyone else think there should be a separate category on the sda for perfect runs?

[complaint]
There is a notion here that the players claim they have "no skill". Sometimes they are such fine players it is close to ridiculous. But I'm fine with it (though I haven't heard Kimo Xvirus or Time of Death saying they have no skill).

Now we have the opposite: a forumer registered in 2010 who claims his recordings are perfect. For those who haven't bothered to download his newest Scythe 2 .lmp creation, you were right: it's a 2:00 UV Max. But I suspect this particular member wants attention and knows how to catch it.
[/complaint]

In addition to what Entryway said, some popular WADs such as Scythe 2 have separate threads.

entryway said:

It's impossible to recognize Barker's Dozen demos after merging. Please, edit your posts.

Good point, thanks for the heads up. Edited mine.

So I tried Baker's Dozen Map13. Yeah, that's a tough one ; took me over half an hour, and I didn't even get 100% kills (killed Icon of Sin too soon). I'm glad I didn't die at all.

It's not a "real" FDA though because I remember IDclipping through this map to check it out when the wad was updated on the archives. That said, it was only sight-seeing and for all of two minutes, and in this demo it shows as I'm completely confused as where to go most of the time.

bd13fdaphml.zip

Here's a pack of demos I did for "Mini-level Megawad" (mlm12.wad)
Demos are for maps 1, 2, 4, 8, and 14. All UV-speed.

Enjoy!

What do u guys think of these demos? Are they pretty good? Any suggestions on increasing speed in any of them?

mlm12speeds.zip

Here is my next entry in the quest to record on every level in idgames/levels/doom/. This time, it's a set of demos for a full episode replacement which includes an extra "special deathmatch" level. More details in the text file.

DKWD-TGH.ZIP - UV max demos for DickWad (DICKWAD.WAD) by Warren Racz, Mark Rempel, and Vinzez Barut

• D3K1-110.LMP - E3M1 in 1:10
  • D3K2-319.LMP - E3M2 in 3:19
  • D3K3-649.LMP - E3M3 in 6:49
  • D3K4-712.LMP - E3M4 in 7:12
  • D3K5-511.LMP - E3M5 in 5:11
  • D3K6-539.LMP - E3M6 in 5:39
  • D3K7-529.LMP - E3M7 in 5:29
  • D3K8-107.LMP - E3M8 in 1:07 (WARNING: requires original, registered Doom v1.9, or PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 added to the command line; see text file for details)
  • D3K9-235.LMP - E3M9 in 2:35
  • D1K1-451.LMP - E1M1 in 4:51

Enigma MAP04 (Gulch) - UV Max in 9:33. Grazza seems to like this map, hope he'll like my demo as well. Anyway, a map with 11 light amplification visors has to be more than crazy!

en04-933.zip

some sunder demos i did a while ago

uv-max
map01 4:17
map02 10:23
map05 16:28
map06 15:15
map07 18:23
map09 33:08
map10 40:42

nms100
map04 5:35