Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Okuplok said:

some sunder demos i did a while ago

that's all? just like that? yeah, just post it in misc demos like no big deal. i'm gonna cry. :) this shit is insane, ridiculous, inhuman. oku is made of god and impossible.

I have to echo dew's sentiment here. sunder 7 and 8 are prob. my favs. they have been kicking my ass real regular recently. so they just get dropped here like nothing. HOLY crap. I can not wait to see these. Yowzer! Thanks for these.

Okuplok said:

some sunder demos i did a while ago

I was impressed by your insane skill :)
awesome demos !!!!

by the way
the file sd06-1515
it's level 5 UV-Max in the zip file, not level 6
please fix it

I gotta agree. These are just so smooth and clean. More than impressive!

deaffink said:

beyv1.wad e1m1
skill 4 speed 1:17
skill 5 speed 1:29

Heh, nice one. I didn't know it was possible to squeeze past the crates.

Side glide (32 unit hole with alignment support) after little practice become a childish trick. Straight glide (for example PL08P019) is far more difficult.

Scythe2 MAP26 UV Max. I used -complevel 9 for a reason unknown to me. The demo is fine, though.

EDIT: it obviously cannot be run under Vanilla, but forcing -complevel 2 does not cause out of sync problems. May be moved to scythe2 thread if admins find it appropriate

s226-554.zip

The reason it doesn't desynch is because PrBoom+ ignores your attempt to force a compatibility mode for a different engine behavior. You can force compatibility modes only when they still coincide with the demo version (such as in 2, 3 and 4.) I'll leave it here since it's for Boom and the thread is for Doom+ demos.

Well, here's my batch of idgames/levels/doom Quest demos for this week. One crappy WAD, one boring WAD, a deathmatch WAD with a broken REJECT, a short but fun WAD by a familiar name, another crappy WAD, and a decidedly average WAD. Hopefully, the "short but fun WAD" should make up for the rest. Note that I skipped DIETRYIN.WAD, even though it's located between the deathmatch WAD and the short WAD, because it's a misplaced Heretic level. Maybe if there was a "miscellaneous Heretic demos" thread, I could record demos for it. Oh, well, enjoy.

DIE-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DIE.WAD by Jonathan DeValentine

• DIE-347.LMP - UV max in 3:47
  • DIE-119.LMP - UV speed in 1:19
DFST-TGH.ZIP - Demos for DIEFAST! (DIEFAST.WAD) by Jawed Karim
  • DFST-140.LMP - UV max in 1:40
  • DFST-041.LMP - UV speed in 0:41
  • DFSTp043.LMP - UV pacifist in 0:43
DSCM-116.ZIP - UV max on DIESCUM.WAD, author unknown, in 1:16.49 (NOTE: The level has no exit; the time is the exact moment the last enemy dies.)
  • DIESCUMF.WAD - DIESCUM.WAD with a rebuilt REJECT; required for playback
  • DIESCUMX.WAD - Alternate version of DIESCUMF.WAD with music that works in all source ports (see text file for details)
BTBW-TGH.ZIP - Demos for BITEBWAD.WAD by Andy Leaver
  • B1W1-028.LMP - UV max on E1M1 in 0:28
  • B1W2-105.LMP - UV max on E1M2 in 1:05
  • B1W3-138.LMP - UV max on E1M3 in 1:38
  • B1W1-018.LMP - UV speed on E1M1 in 0:18
  • B1W2-025.LMP - UV speed on E1M2 in 0:25
  • B1W3-044.LMP - UV speed on E1M3 in 0:44
DILL-TGH.ZIP - Demos for The DILLY wad (DILL.WAD) by Dan Dorn
  • DIL1-257.LMP - UV max on E1M1 in 2:57
  • DIL21037.LMP - UV max on E1M2 in 10:37
  • DIL2-BUG.LMP - UV -nomonsters demonstration of a nodebuilding error (!) in E1M2
DMGT-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Dimension Gate (DIMGATE.WAD) by Martin Rice
  • DMGT-833.LMP - UV max in 8:33
  • DMGT-136.LMP - UV speed in 1:36

I found okuplok demos here and on youtube pretty fishy, he barely takes any damages and looks way too easy. Even godlike players like anders, vile or gusta don't come out of big fights totally unhurt.

I suspect use of TAS, yet I understand I may be wrong :)
Check out on youtube, he has plenty of demos not released here that look way too easy.

To me, it just looks skillful. He plays methodically and very efficiently. Nothing strikes me as odd in his runs.

I'm just not seeing it. There's no hitscanners and within each group, monsters are mostly of the same kind (= same projectile speed). Nothing in there seems impossible, just very good, and I have seen plenty of demos from other players doing such amazing feats.

I hate to speak because of this issue. I perfectly understand Phml's point of view and Vincent's point of view. I watched the particular demo (first 4:30 minutes) and if we compare it to this:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21646623/nochancegggFAILallkeys.lmp
(gggmorks' No Chance failed run, hope gggmork won't be angry at uploading this fantastic demo), the difference is so striking I am inclined to say that unfortunately, Vincent's version is much more plausible. Of course, two different players, two different styles, but still... Seems like the only thing we can do is to judge it everyone by themselves and treat the demos as non-TAS as we have no proof of cheating.

i have to say i also wtf'd over that video. not a single hit taken in the middle of such a huge and chaotic battle seems very, very improbable. in particular the micro-dodging to avoid shots i haven't even seen until the last moment and never getting blocked by random monster behaviour resembles slo-mo tas demos. all that in mere hours of a recording session, it seems... also incredibly accurate archvile handling - woah @ painchance intuition in map21 max when boxing them.

although i'm not ruling out the possibility i'm just spewing acid cause i'm jealous. and because he makes vile look average, and that ruins my world perception.

It's certainly no surprise to feel such boiling envy when viewing Oku's ability, having spoken to him myself he spents an arduous amount of time recording demos - an average of 2-4 hours no matter the length. For the most part it seems he's simply very aware of his surrounding environment, watch his Sunder 07 and 10 demos and you'll notice he comes very close to the brink of death. Analyse SOD's "Path to Hell' closely and in all earnest it's quite easy to avoid taking damage considering the amount of space provided, your never forced into a claustrophobic area with large amounts of projectile based enemies.

Although these allegations of cheating are certainly hilarious.

i have to say i also wtf'd over that video.

Heh, funny to see that come from you, because in my previous reply I was almost about to say "there's some (other) demos that sometimes makes me wonder if it's really legit, but I realise some people are just that skilled" - and some of your UV speeds was what came to mind and prompted me to almost say that.

I think there's a lot of speedrunners who are used to run "classic" levels, and only a few who like slaughtermaps ; and because of that many doomgods who are awesome in normal dooming haven't reached the same perfection level against hordes yet, and might be surprised to see what other people can do.

As for vdgg's comparison, it doesn't sound very fair to me. No Chance is an insanely hard map, while SOD map20 is relatively easy. Yeah, both have high monster counts, but other than that there's not many similarities. As Krypto mentions, plenty of open space and while it's still impressive to avoid getting hit for so long while killing stuff, it definitely looks possible.

Going to go with "not guilty" here ; hopefully Okuplok sees all of this as a backhanded compliment - "you're so good you must be cheating". :)

Krypto: allegations of cheating? Vincent, dew and me are expressing doubts mixed with amazement. What's wrong with that? 2-4 hours? Of course, I'm from an inferior league, but my last Scythe2 Max took me about 30 hours.

Phml: you may be right, I'm really not into these maps and the comparison is a bit unfair.

I don't use a mouse, so some of my movement, like normal turning and 180 turns look different. That nochance demo was before I could 2-bfg-shot kill cybers very well. Nochance had modular parts so a route could be perfected with saves before recording the final demo which then comes down to luck/many attempts.
Probably the best players I know of are timeofdeath,okuplok,skogs,vile,belial, and others I might be forgetting but hard to tell when some don't share many demos anymore. Some are skilled in a unique way, like lost heretic is really good at first demo attempts, dew does weird speed tricks, tod does insane rocket jumping.
Skepticist and lost heretic own me at first demo attempts, and on hr2 32, my only chance of beating TOD or okuplok was to find a better route probably. Being able to strafe and turn at the same time is probably quite useful, heh.
But I highly doubt TOD cheats and he's as good as okuplok probably so making legit demos like that is likely possible and I doubt okuplok cheats. For all anyone other than me knows, I might be cheating (unless there's some technical/software ability to tell for sure). I don't by the way (but I might be lying so that statement's useless).

i had a bit of a rant prepared, but okuplok removed all of his youtube videos, so i'm not sure what to say anymore. i can only assume it's a response to this thread, a strange one if you ask me. there's 3 guys playing x-files here, and at least the same amount defending, it's not the inquisition tribunal. i don't know if i should feel guilty or whatever...

As with all amazingly skilled Doom videos, I considered briefly whether these were TAS or not, but there were none of the telltale signs of them being as such so I dismissed it pretty fast.

Even so, I don't see this thread as accusation, just discussion. I hope Oku hasn't removed the videos cos of this, that's a sad loss for all Doomers.