Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Failed run of holy hell map 5. I'm just putting this here as a reminder to stop wasting my life trying to accomplish such a pointless activity, on a level that isn't even that great.
only got maybe half way. I've been to the end cybers before but that was probably an expired file hosting link.

holyhell-05-uvmax-fail-ggg.zip

Well that's certainly an overly ambitious feat, when taking into consideration both the difficulty and playing time, I'm curious to know how you dealt with the inner chapel fight on 02 - The one with rows of seats and a megasphere laying at the end as a sign of an impending bloodbath, that one in particular seemed quite ridicolous with the addition of AV's and no cover provided. Same could be said for the blue key area if the player didn't anticipate the trap.

Have a failed run of 01 myself but don't have the desire to upload it at the moment, got around 1/2 then died rather embaressingly, I was really just pissing around having no thorough practice beforehand. 01 mainly tests your ability to weave in and out of hordes within the very congested surroundings making it my favourite map, while the inexorable hordes are ludicrous which could easily create a repetitive experience, the lack of space within the main building keeps the action constantly hectic.

Eh, fun slaughter WAD but had potential to be alot better.

I don't really mean to trash the wad (i just felt like complaining about something), but after multiple failed attempts on a long wad you start to count the number of hours spent neurotically replaying the same sequence and wonder if there are better ways to spend life, lol.

The part with the row of seats: just run to the star, then run all the way back out to the hall before everyone warps (I think the warp lines are w1 or something so they soon stop warping).

the part with a key in a pit and enemies slowly warp + 2 viles at end: you can strafe 50 out the door and leave them warping to deal with later

Lots of the traps have exploits like that (when you start in the center of surrounding walls that lower when you walk over lines, just walk over the furthest lines, not the close ones).

DoomHero85 said:
UV-max of axe2.wad in 9:19

I did a speed run in 0:29. I remembered the Axe series from years ago. I think I played them in 2000 or so.

axe2-029.zip

TimeOfDeath said:

Nostril Caverns max in 151:31 (2:31:31)

Last night I died with 2 cybers left on the highest mountain, just before the exit switch, lols (the exit would've been 152:xx, so oh well).

Holy crap...was this demo recorded in one sitting? I almost fell asleep half-way through the demo. :) I mean, amazing playing, but damn, just too long. The beginning hexadecagonal area is just too repetitive, except for the cyberdemon rooms.

Qaatar said:

just too long

A nice thing about Doom demos is that you can watch them in chunks and use fast forward, etc.

Grazza said:

A nice thing about Doom demos is that you can watch them in chunks and use fast forward, etc.

Even with that, it was just too repetitive. After a while, you just get tired of using "+" and "*" all the time.

Edit: I'm not knocking TimeofDeath's play, which was sublime...just the map.

Never_Again said:

Fixed that for you. ;)

Well, which serious demo watcher doesn't use prboom/glboom+ to watch demos? I can't even imagine my demo-watching life without the efficient launcher and the other capabilities like speeding up/slowing down, pausing, time-skipping, perspective-changing, etc. I have over 300 megabytes of demos (just demos, not wads) alone on my HD from years of collecting...watching that shit without prboom would be a nightmare.

I liked nostrils, it's a fun endurance challenge. Such repetitiveness doesn't make for super interesting demos, but playing it is a different thing, although I have to admit in my own playthrough I dozed off multiple times past the 30 minutes mark, and didn't even get further than the big lowering pillar with the invul sphere (~70min).

Anima Zero said:

Did a bunch of demos for Doomworld Speedmapping Compilation #024.

Map 05 UV-Max in 1:35
Map 05 UV-Pacifist in 0:50
Map 06 UV-Max in 3:58
Map 08 UV-Max in 0:54
Map 08 UV-Pacifist in 0:15
Map 09 UV-Max in 2:59
Map 09 UV-Speed in 0:46
Map 11 UV-Pacifist in 0:31
Map 14 UV-Max in 5:24

Awesome demos Anima Zero! Never thought it would be possible to pacifist my map.

Qaatar said:
Well, which serious demo watcher doesn't use prboom/glboom+ to watch demos?

I use Doom and Boom whenever possible. One advantage from this is that I can then be aware of, or report, any incompatibilities I find. I resort to PrBoom+ if the demo requires it, to check on parts of demos or if I need extra data.

I "watched" all the Nostril demos, although I must admit I left the screen quite a few times on some of them. Fast forward may be useful, but one can also go do some housecleaning or the like when a demo takes too long :p

The first one I watched, Anima's FDA, was the most fun, and I watched it all the way, as it was spontaneous and got him pretty far nonetheless.

DoomHero85 said:

Armadosia map 01 UV-max in 11:17.

skepticist said:

Armadosia map01 UV-max in 5:35.

heh

Well, ToD... If I publish my demos at the WADs forum and give temporary SpeedyShare links, this usually means I don't want them in the archives... But it's OK. I attach text files corresponding to my 2 demos for Eternal Memories.

Oh, a lovely AV 6:58 demo BTW, I'll watch the newest one soon!

em116txtfiles.zip