Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

<b>Welcome to the Miscellaneous Demos thread!</b>

This thread is the place to post your demos on maps and wads that haven't so far attracted a great deal of attention from the demos community.

If your demo fits into a pre-existing thread, then it is better to post it there.

Note also that this thread is for unassisted (non-TAS) demos. There is also a thread in this forum for Miscellaneous TAS demos.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a UV Max on a random map from the archive. Someone had reviewed it so I checked it out. Crappy in several respects, but quite fun to play, with a fair bit of Tyson action.

N_Mariko.wad UV Max in 6:39. Doom2.exe-format demo.

Another one, but this time the map is unequivocally good.

UV Speed in 1:38 1:32 on NewCity.

Edit: I improved it by six seconds. Still some not-very-smooth bits though.

Wow! It's illusio-pit time!

UV Speed (0:08) and NM (0:12) demos on the infamous wow.wad, modified so it plays on E2M8.

Grazza said:
I'd never realized that on E2M8, the engine did a check for the player still being alive as well as for the cyber(s) being dead. "You learn a new thing every day."

Yeah, thus at COMPET-N and whatnot you don't see ExM8 demos ending with a dying Player (which is not uncommon for Map30.)

True. I decided to do a few ExM8s (now that I have an excuse for exiting alive :P ): E1M8, E2M8 and E3M8 UV Speed demos on Rage20.

Does anyone remember this wad? It's not in the archive, and looks too good by 1994 standards to have vanished without trace.

I hadn't seen it before, and yeah, the maps are not bad. It's absence in the archive is probably due to the fact that it uses DOOM II maps as a base here and there; E1M8 is Map30-based, and E1M9 is based on Map09, at least.

I suspect its absence is most likely due to it never being uploaded, like a great many wads from that time. There are clearly a few areas inspired by and similar to Doom2 maps, but less in the way of clear-cut copying than in some wads that are in the archive.

I made a NM demo of Newcity.wad, time is 2:15. I sent it to Opulent, hope I can give a link soon :)
A nice level btw, fun to run through.

Having enjoyed Hitech, I looked for other wads by Marcus Malden. The best of them, IMO, was SKULKEEP. The text-file includes the comment "I think that the level is not playable in Nightmare mode". Begging for it... So I did a NM in 3:56 and a UV Pacifist in 1:22. Both a bit untidy, and I lacked a good strategy for handling the cyber the final room in NM. Hopefully they're entertaining though.

Here are a few demos I've done recently. All quite short and hopefully entertaining.

Dead on the Run Nightmare in 0:48. Includes a little monster-opens-door trick.

DEM.WAD map10 UV Speed in 0:30. Features some timing stuff and a shortcut jump.

Andy's WAD map10 UV Max (also Tyson FWIW) in 1:16. Lots of cybers get crushed: 2737 points of damage per second.

Also, this contains a Pacifist (0:55) and a Nightmare (1:24) on an early version of a wad that is currently in /newstuff. The version needed to play them back is included in the zip.

All these demos are Doom2.exe format (recorded with glboom 2.2.4).

Yes, compet-n has been very quiet the last couple of months too. Do people record less in the (northern hemisphere) summer?

Anyway, here are two more:

DEM.WAD map14 UV Speed in 0:51 (Doom2.exe-format demo). Features a shortcut jump. This is quite a nice wad for speedrunning; the maps look really tough until you work out where you're going. There's a more drastic shortcut jump possible in this map too, but it's quite difficult.

Snowball's Chance (currently in /newstuff) UV Speed in 3:54 (recorded with Zdoom 2.0.63a). This is more a help demo than anything else. Only worth watching if for some reason you have decided to play this wad and have hit problems working out a strategy.

Opulent said:
nice to see someone is keeping this board active. :)

Hehe, yeah. I guess I could submit more stuff but I have too much manners to clutter up this fine board with the crap I dish out... :-) Once in a while I do something I think/hope is of interest to others for one reason or another, and then I submit.

For example, now I'm playing through sudtic and obtic for the first time, and even though I could submit some max demos that are a bit quicker than the SDA demos, I see no point.

Oh, and BTW, I'm checking out Class-ep as well. Not very suited for reality running, I'm afraid. Much too many "unfair" traps made for you to lose at least some health... Maybe I'll do the first one, which is more "fair" but has a very annoying ending with the goddamn ooze. :-(

EDIT: Hmm. Just thought of something. Would there be an interest to see reality demos of sudtic?

reality demos are often like tyson -- we are interested, but sometimes they are a bit tedious to watch.
Fen: working on Endgame... I'm with you, I'm still at the learning stage on the maps. :(

I am busy making the last few maps of you know what, so I don't really have the time to record anything atm.

Kristian Ronge said:

Hehe, yeah. I guess I could submit more stuff but I have too much manners to clutter up this fine board with the crap I dish out... :-) Once in a while I do something I think/hope is of interest to others for one reason or another, and then I submit.

I wouldn't worry about clutter right now. :) Also, it is often hard to judge which of one's own demos will be of interest to others (at least that's my experience), so if you have something sitting on your hard-disk that has some quality to it, why not share it?

Anyway, here are two more quickies on DEM.WAD: map05 UV Speed in 1:37 and map08 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:46. Hope they're of interest to someone - I enjoyed recording them, at any rate.

I have a few demo projects lying around in various states of completion.

Always the last four or five maps that are the hard ones...

Grazza said:

Andy's WAD map10 UV Max (also Tyson FWIW) in 1:16. Lots of cybers get crushed: 2737 points of damage per second.

Neat. I wonder how much damage per second there is in your nightmare pacifist recording of Nuts.wad... ;)

Here's a little suicide exit trick on Exquisite Corpse (currently in /newstuff). This is the multi-author map born out of this thread.

UV Speed in 0:28 (Doom2.exe-format demo, recorded with glboom 2.2.4)

Untidy, but it took numerous attempts and a generous helping of luck.

Grazza said:
Also, it is often hard to judge which of one's own demos will be of interest to others (at least that's my experience), so if you have something sitting on your hard-disk that has some quality to it, why not share it?

I have tons of stuff (probably > 20 MB of demos); most of it is not of particularly high quality. It's basically playing sessions where I casually play through various maps in various styles. I guarantee you, it is of no interest to anyone but myself. :-)

Come to think of it, I did earlier in the summer record a full max demo pack of MM on the lower skill levels (there are good healthy reasons for this, before you start laughing. ;-D I have beaten every map of MM on UV several times...I can normally beat a couple of the times in the mmuvlmps pack also of course). Most of the demos are basically copies of the reigning COMPET-N UV max demos routes, but very much quicker because of the lack of challenge and/or monsters -- for example, map 28 in 9:39, map 18 in 7:40ish and map 21 in 7:50ish. Some have a bit different routes (which would probably work well in UV as well, for example in map 18); most have different weapons/monster handling. Perhaps they make for interesting comparisons or whatever... I made them for my own personal amusement, but if anyone wants to see them I'll wrap 'em up and upload... But basically everything else I have sitting on my HDD is not of interest to anyone but myself. Sometimes not even myself. ;-)

EDIT: Corrected grammatical errors.

Grazza said:

Here's a little suicide exit trick on Exquisite Corpse (currently in /newstuff). This is the multi-author map born out of this thread.

UV Speed in 0:28 (Doom2.exe-format demo, recorded with glboom 2.2.4)

Untidy, but it took numerous attempts and a generous helping of luck.

Nice. :) Too bad you weren't recording when you got 0:26...

I've done a few more UV Speeds on DEM.WAD. I've put them (together with the four earlier ones) here. Not terribly polished, but a fair amount of thought went into the routes and execution.

The new ones are, with comments from the text files ("I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." - George Bernard Shaw):

Map01 0:16: "Short but tricky. You pick up the RL at a very inconvenient moment, but the imp generously decided not to get in the way on this occasion. Could save some time by using a rocket on the demon at the exit, but that strategy has a high rate of failure."

Map02 0:58: "Just avoid getting blocked by the cacos. Two invulns are a bit generous for a speedrun, but in a Max they would be very welcome."

Map04 1:10: "It's tricky to climb the hill without getting blocked too much. It's a shame that the PE decided to muck me about (he got some rocket salad for his trouble though), and that I wasted a few seconds on the run to the exit. This was only the second time I reached the blue key; on the first occasion my jump away from that area got blocked. I had no luck trying to get archie assistance - he's very easily distracted."

Map06 0:50 (also Pacifist): "Just a case of not getting blocked (too much) or falling down anywhere. It's annoying that I fumbled at two of the doors here, as everything else went well."

Map07 0:36: "A fairly straightforward run. The trickiest moment is getting to the switch trick, since you're likely to have just picked up the RL, and there is a former human normally blocking the way."

Map09 2:03: "This map is quite a fight. The route required some planning. I skip the red key thanks to a little jump to get the yellow key. I take a slight detour to pick up the RL, since the exit room with all the arachnotrons is a bit of a problem without it. The first invulnerability lasts long enough to help illuminate an area that is otherwise totally dark. I had tried picking up the light amp to solve that problem, but couldn't work it into a viable route."