Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

@DoomHero85:
Don't rely so much on us. Some may not follow your demos, so they cannot say anything about any progress. Some may not see progress and stay quiet (they don't want to sound rude or something).

The demo was pretty nice, definitely better than the garrulo one, but I can't say much more because I don't know this map at all. I liked you skipped the green armor and I believe you put some effort into your demo, that's cool.

But there's a way for you to benchmark your progress. Download both requiem demopacks. Pick 10 maps and try to record your best maxes. Don't be discouraged if you find you're constantly slower than rquvlmp2 players: they were top class players back then. See if you're better than the older generation (requvlmp players: Donner, Kai-Uwe, Istvan Pataki, Jason Henry, etc.) Write down your times (you may improve your max demo if you feel you can do better). Calculate <your time: requvlmp time> and <your time: rquvlmp2 time> ratios. Repeat the whole process after 2-3 months, you may pick the same maps, you may pick different maps.

It should work with Memento Mori II, as well. If you're faster than Migru, it's cool, if you're faster than Peo/Henning/Anders or if you're 5-10% slower, you are already pretty good Max runner.

Last year I did such an experiment with MM2. All 32 maps. All my records were faster than Migru's, all my records were slower than Scandinavians (some MUCH slower, some just a tiny bit slower). Now I'm faster than the Scandinavians in 2/3 of the maps, so I can tell I improved quite a lot.

A suggestion DoomHero85; please add an URL or link to the WAD. The less well-known a WAD is, the more necessary this becomes. Optimally, there's an URL in the text file and a link in the post. One allows people to find and identify the WAD played by just having your demo on their HDD, the other lets them see what it's for while browsing and deciding on what to download.

I'm guessing your demo is for this WAD, although different WADs sometimes have the same name and without a link one isn't certain whether to look for it at idgames, the DSDA or elsewhere...

Congrats on being the first to actually post proof of beating this. ;)

Looks like it was an half-FDA too, wasn't it ? (you obviously knew where to go at first, but spent a lot of time wandering around near the end) I planned to use the same strategy as yours - except I pick up the red key the first time and lower the soulsphere secret while on my way so I can pick the soulsphere faster when coming back.

Here's a TAS UV Speed for cesspool in 1:05. Up until 0:50 it's legit, then I decided to use it as a base to see how close I was to making it. Two savestates used, no additional TAS features.

cp-105.zip

ha, that was a good idea to leave the columns up.
4mer did a faster/better uvmax before me in the wads/mods thread (at first I thought his was hurt me plenty).

Oh, my bad. Link doesn't work for me (and I also assumed it was HMP). Did he use any different tactics compared to you ?

Nice, thanks. Getting the two archviles at the chokepoint up there seems to be key, but I'm not convinced killing stuff in the beginning is all that useful (I've had the two archies come there while using a route similar to yours).

Okay so two things that are a bit questionable in nature.

Firstly last week I fixed my old demo sewv12r-2135 so it plays back properly. From the text file

UPDATE (2010-10-28): Hacked the header of the demo to run with player
bobbing on. I am the only person in the world who plays with it switched
off, apparently, and there was an old misunderstanding in rboom and
PrBoom (fixed in PrBoom-Plus) which thought player bobbing was an MBF
option and forced it on in pre-MBF complevels. However the demo header
was still written as if the option was turned off, leading to a desync.
I know entryway added a workaround option to PrBoom-Plus but I figured I could fix the demo by changing one byte with a hex editor so why not do it?

Secondly here's a Boom complevel speedrun of NDCP 2 map02 in 0:39.

The reason I put it under a "questionable" heading is because basically I cheesed it by abusing Boom's little-known ability to completely disable friction effects. Again, from the text file
There is a widely-held belief that recording in Boom compatibility level
is somehow more "fair" than MBF, since the latter gives you the ability
to pick and choose bugs and features to make recording easier. Thus MBF
is "not a level playing field" or some such. Well it turns out the same
is true of Boom! That's why I recorded this demo, which isn't meant to
be taken seriously. Another player could, I am sure, replicate this demo
with friction turned on - it would just need unbelievable luck.
So, yeah, a curiosity, not a serious demo. Just something to be aware of I guess.

Here's a UV Max for Cesspool in 6:52.
Recorded with GlBoom+/Comp Level 2 with the *HUD*.

The main difference between this demo and ggg's is that it's not a semi-fda, and I was luckier with the archies. Route is the same, and infighting is key (as always).

In other words, it still uses rather lame peek-a-boo tactics, and until Sigvatr (or anyone else) can prove otherwise, I refuse to believe that this map can be played conventionally.

cp01-652.zip

@Qaatar - following your post, I decided to use savestates to check how realistic a "conventional", not speedrunny/exploit route would be. I started a new segment whenever I died, without optimization. End result : 7 segments and probably about 30 deaths, most of them occuring during the first archvile (no deaths/saves after the red key). Took more than ten minutes and of course I ended up with a ghost demon following me around.

Even then, I'm still somehow exploiting the map rather than playing, by going into very specific spots so monsters run/gather a certain way.

... Yeah. I could say more, but let's stay civil for now.

... I'm not talking about the *map* either. Actually somewhat fun in a "hit your head at a brickwall repeatedly" sort of way. ;)

ludicroustasmaxforcesspool.zip

Phml said:

... Yeah. I could say more, but let's stay civil for now.

... I'm not talking about the *map* either. Actually somewhat fun in a "hit your head at a brickwall repeatedly" sort of way. ;)

Maybe placing a ssg and a box of shells in the medkit secret would go a long way to making the map playable in a conventional way. Otherwise, well...not much more needs to be said.

vdgg said:

If you have ideas what to record from 1996 (excellent WADs without many demos are ideal candidates), please let me know.

Well that's a tough one. Most of the following have demos, but they haven't received as much demo exposure as the likes of MM2, Icarus and Final Doom:

Darkcvnt
AllHell
AOD-Doom
Osiris
Trooper's Playground (ttp103)
System Vices (aboosysv)
dyst3