Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Nice demos, great to watch someone else playing my map!

You mention how you get blocked by monsters if getting all three keys before going for the switches. Not sure if it would help, but you could get the bfg after getting all keys, as this will then be available on the column near the exit.

I decided to revisit one of my favourite maps, and improve my UV Pacifist on map04 of Enigma. The old time had been 6:30. The new time is 1:12. Ahem. Yes, I had missed a trick. It's a sloppy but lucky run, which I haven't been able to improve upon.

larsboy: I doubt it. I think going for the BFG would lose more time than it would save.

It dawned on me that the switch trick opens up a new route possibility, so:
Enigma map04 ("Gulch") UV Speed in 0:56 and Nightmare! in 0:57.

I've got mixed feelings about the NM - my previous NM demo on this map (1:34) used a horribly difficult route, and took several hours' work just to get one exit. This one took less than twenty minutes.

This was the natural one to try next...

Enigma map05 ("The Wheel"): UV Speed in 1:06, UV Pacifist in 1:16 and Nightmare! in 1:39. All in this zip.

The NM is just a cautious first exit, while the other two were the product of a bit more work. The Pacifist has some single-digit health.

Me too. Glad you like the Enigma demos. I'd like to do UV Speeds on all 9 maps, but am not sure how speedrun-friendly 6 & 9 are (haven't really looked at them yet from that viewpoint, but don't know of any major shortcuts). I've got a Speed and a Pacifist on map01, but they need improving.

I sure won't be any help from the speed run standpoint. For whatever reason, I have just never been wired that way, but do appreciate those that are.

My focus on entering a map is to simply kill everything and get out. When I run past a monster it makes me feel cheated that I didn't get to whack em'.

Silly, I know, but such is the brain of a purely max runner.

Anyway great job on the runs. Looking forward to any more you might do.

As promised...

Enigma map01 ("Mt Doom"): UV Speed in 0:41, UV Pacifist in 1:01 and Nightmare! in 0:48. All in this zip.

UV Speed and NM are pretty much the same route. I feel a bit guilty about not using the faster route (skipping the armour) for NM, but after a whole string of 0:49s and 0:5x's, I decided enough was enough. Pacifist needs an entirely different route because some imps are in the way, and I didn't see any pacifist way to remove them.

Here's one on a pwad that shouldn't require any introduction:

The Waterfront by Scott F. Crank, UV Speed in 1:06.

Note: This replaces one (1:10) that I uploaded a few hours ago, in which I had missed a trick. That demo is included in the new zip though.

A few more demos:

Enigma by Jim Flynn, map09 UV Speed in 2:24. Features a little trick to get the keys rather quicker than intended. When I played this map casually recently, it took me more than an hour, so heh.

UAC Research Vessel #1024 by Will Hackney (AKA Kid Airbag AKA Archvile46), UV Speed/Pacifist/Reality/Lemmings in 0:06. A simple key grab and then a barge past a cyber. Took quite a few attempts to get it down to six seconds.

And on the subject of very short demos, here's a silly one:
Nuclear Central Version 1.1 by Stephan Ferraro, Nightmare Pacifist in 0:08. NB: this map tends to crash some versions of prboom.

My brother send me an interesting demo. Seems I never saw before how only two demons eat cyber to death. I send the demo to Doug.

Fans of bars glides should like this one: 3 glides in 4 seconds.
Dark Covenant map10 (Research Facility) UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:04.
Same idea as Kama Sutra map32 - just here there are three bars to get past.

Might as well upload this one too:
"Queer" UV Pacifist in 1:55. Low quality demo, but maybe entertaining.

I recorded a max demo for Nilla.wad map02. Time 7:14, could be better but it's not that bad either(the time). Hope you like it. :)

I was mucking about on some old maps and noticed something odd, and decided to make a demo using it.

Proxyon Sector KGx/57 by Scott McNutt. Map02 Nightmare! in 0:30 (also includes a UV Speed in 0:19).

None of the tricks involved in this are difficult, but there's a lot of rapid fire to survive.

Edit: I decided to work a bit more on the UV Speed. It's now 0:15 and Pacifist. There's a nice 1% health finish too. :)

large maps aren't usually very demo-friendly... but quality maps sometimes makes the effort worthwhile....

Here's a tricky speedrun that involved quite a bit of work:
Thunder UV Speed in 0:58.
I finish on 1% health. Be sure to turn the music off for this one.

I found a map that featured a boss brain and could be done Pacifist-style, so I just had to go for it:
The Lord map06 UV Pacifist in 1:09. The zip also includes a Tyson (2:26), which features a cyber getting scratched to death by three imps.

These were just a bit of fun; I didn't spend all that long trying to get the times as low as possible.

I also did an NM (same wad, same map) too, in 0:16. Kind of annoying: I spent ages using a bad route, and quickly got the 0:16 I'd been aiming for once I realized my mistake.

RjY said:

I didn't think these demos were worth making a new thread. My apologies to anyone who is annoyed by bumping.

No problem at all - that's what this thread is here for.

I haven't had much time to record recently, but here are a couple of first exits that may be amusing:

Demon's Lair NM Pacifist in 0:39. Not difficult - you just need some luck at the start, and to know which linedefs to trigger and which to avoid.

OMGpump UV Pacifist in 1:12. The interesting thing here is that I allow myself to be turned into a zombie so as to avoid taking damage in the last few areas. I've wanted to do a demo like this for ages, but hadn't found a map to do it on. There are quite a number of maps where you can get zombified, but it's normally difficult to work this into a viable route. Edit: I understand that a new version of the wad, with the voodoo dolls removed, is now in /incoming, so if you want to watch this one, you'd better download the wad now before it is replaced.

RjY said:

Here's a couple of things from "the vaults"

I didn't think these demos were worth making a new thread. My apologies to anyone who is annoyed by bumping.

Thanks for the eaxt demos =) I had almost forgotten completely about those old maps that spawned so much hate when I released them :P

TVR! by Thomas van der Velden, map26 (Phragmobasidium) UV Speed in 0:29.

This compares with the time of 1:28 from my speed demo pack from late 2002. I don't think I'm three times faster now than I was then, but I'm probably a fair bit better at finding tricks and shortcuts.

And if you're wondering what Phragmobasidium means, read this.

Just finished recording Stylin2, don't know why it's in the ports section, I recorded with the original exe and didn't have any problems. Four categories: Max, Fast, Respawn, Nightmare. NM was not as easy as it could look at a first glance. Actually, it took me many tries to do it. Respawn was also tricky, I just couldn't do it faster than Max, then I decided to pretend I was doing a speedrun with 100% secrets, and came up with 1 mere second improvement over Max. Download the demos here.

I've just completed a geocities.com/bat_on/udmoN149.zip]1:49 Nightmare Run of UDM05. I've actually never played Nightmare difficulty before playing this map and now I know why - its friggen difficult! This is also my first Demo that I have released into the wild so my skills are naturally not going to be as good as say, Grazza's. If anyone has any tips on how to get faster at playing Doom, i'ld be happy to hear them.

Speaking of Grazza, I wasn't sure if there was some of kind of template you are meant to use for the text file so I just modifed one of your text files - I hope you don't mind.

That looks like a pretty good demo to me, and very impressive for your first NM.

You're very welcome to use my text-files as a template (indeed, I encouraged people to do so here). It's a fairly generic template in any case, which I just borrowed from someone else (I forget who - maybe a modified amalgamation of several).

udm05.wad doesn't require Zdoom or jDoom. In fact it doesn't really need a port at all - if you remove the unknown object at (448,-448) and run deusf over it, it works with Doom2.exe.

I've done another "improved" TVR run: map31 (Raw) UV Speed in 0:39. The glide here proved quite difficult for me.

There are a number of TVR maps where shortcuts like this are possible, but I fear that many of them will tend to lead to demos that are faster but uglier than those on the intended route (or previous trick routes). Map13 features a very easy glide, but reaching the exit from that point is quite awkward, with the swarm of revenants still to get past.