Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Hey, Kristian, nice to see you active again!

Revved said:
Ok, I totally screwed that one demo up, but to make up for it, I got Demonfear UV Max Episode 2 in 21:49!

Good runs. This one doesn't use dfearfix.wad, which makes it PrBoom+ specific. The third episode does use the fix WAD, although it doesn't say so in the text file (I got confused there a bit trying to play it back.)

Actually, it's possible to play a demo relying on PrBoom+'s on-the-fly REJECT padding while using Doom2 or Chocolate Doom, but it's kind of complicated:

• Get the length of the padded lump either by playing the level in PrBoom+ with REJECT emulation detection enabled, where you check for the size in stdout.txt, or by creating a 0-filled REJECT lump for the level with ZenNode (-rz).
  • Extract the corrupt REJECT lump, open it with frhed or any hex editor with an equivalent append feature, and add the difference in bytes between the corrupt lump and the longer full-size lump.
  • In a copy of the WAD, replace the corrupt lump with the padded one.
The attachment contains the map 18 and 20 REJECT lumps I used to play it back in Doom2, for curiosity's sake. The method outlined above is also recommended for fixing any levels with short REJECT lumps, as it will make using the fixed WAD the equivalent of using PrBoom+'s automatic padding feature.

Good luck with your full movie!

dfreject.zip

Drown in Blood map27 max no deaths 63:51 (ZDoom 2.2.0)

2 unkillable cybers

edit: btw, there's a dehacked in this wad that makes the imps and demons faster, but that's a mistake - they're just supposed to have normal speed. I didn't notice it until today when I tried playing the wad with the new ZDoom (that's why I used ZDoom 2.2.0, because it doesn't recognize the dehacked monsters).

myk said:
Hey, Kristian, nice to see you active again!

Hey, Miguel. I'm not really "active again" as much as I'm "not completely inactive", but thanks anyway for the kind words. I hope you are well and still as eloquent in your postings. I remember I once said that reading your posts was like reading poetry. :-)

Drown in Blood map22 max no deaths 27:56 (ZDoom 2.0.63a)

You have to use the included batch file if you watch this demo or else it will desync. I used 2.0.63a because the first trap doesn't work in newer versions (it was designed for ZDaemon so I didn't realize there was a map bug).

Even though this is a "no deaths" demo, there is one death. You must die at a certain part of the map if you want to reach the exit (this wad is intended for coop with respawning and some maps require you to die). The part where you die is a fake exit - you teleport to that area and walk over some linedefs that trigger the next part of the map (and reveal 4 megaspheres at the start), then you walk into the "exit" and die, then you respawn at the start and continue playing. Some might say this demo doesn't qualify as a "no deaths" run, but this is the only way to play this map in that style (and I don't abuse the fake exit as if it was a teleporter, I only enter it once). For a "deaths allowed" run, you could be more aggressive and die a few times while still saving time (plus I can think of at least one shortcut where a death+respawning at the start would be helpful).

Still needs work but a little better.

bump-335.zip

I think you should try it from the link on Doomed SDA which has dfearfix.wad which makes it play in sync.

I have 4 UV Max demos for Suspended in Dusk. I'd swear there were demos for this WAD, but... probably I'm the first :)

LEVEL               TIME   KILLS/ITEMS/SECRETS %

MAP01               6:20      100   100   100
                MAP02               7:43      100   100   100
                MAP03              19:58      100    13   100
                MAP04               6:18      104   100   100

Total:             40:19

sidlmps.zip

vdgg said:

I'd swear there were demos for this WAD, but... probably I'm the first :)

My god you are right. How are there not heaps of demos for SID? Good work rectifying the situation :)

newgothic map 10 max in 25:44. Used hud to verify max kills at end.
Some sort of invisible mastermind ghost snuck up behind me and tried to chaingun my head off or something at about 23:00.. oh what, the normal chaingunner did that? Taking off nearly 100% life from that far away? Just the game cheating against me like usual.

newgothic-10-2544-cl9-max-ggg.zip

You could probably use that wad and demo to plead insanity if you ever find yourself on trial for something. My first exit was like an hour and a half (before watching your demo and w/o using doombuilder).

Longdays

NM Speed in 4:47

Not a serious demo... Assuming any of my other demos can be called "serious", anyway. ;)

lodan447.zip

Another demo to try to entertain myself during the wait for the DSDA update.

Killing Adventure
UV Max
Episode 1 in 13:04

01ka1304.zip

Never_Again said:

Actually, you are not. I just haven't gotten around to writing a TXT for them yet.
Edit: I couldn't figure out the second secret on MAP04, though; thanks for showing me the way. Guess you record in high res? No way to see it @320x200...
BTW, you should turn on Extended Demo Format in Options/General so that your LMPs can be played with a single/double click from Explorer, without having to use a frontend or to write a demo pattern.

Heh, the secret was not too obvious but I remembered 2 years ago I found blue armor, so it should be doable somehow; Yes, high res. Even if I'm not the first, I'm glad of the effort put into my lmps.

gggmork said:

newgothic map 10 max in 25:44. Used hud to verify max kills at end.
Some sort of invisible mastermind ghost snuck up behind me and tried to chaingun my head off or something at about 23:00.. oh what, the normal chaingunner did that? Taking off nearly 100% life from that far away? Just the game cheating against me like usual.

Awesome demo !
At around 23:00 I think you actually got hit by the second Arch-Vile who was behind the Chainies.

Here are four demos I made today. The first three were done to continue Michael Novikov's journey through idgames/levels/doom. The last one is a Doom II demo and is for a decidedly far more recent level, just for a change of pace. Check them out.

D1T1-TGH.ZIP - Demos for dethe1m1.WAD by Frederick J. Bradley

• D1T1-018.LMP - UV speed in 0:18
  • D1T1-102.LMP - UV max in 1:02
DFAC-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Death Factory (DETHFACT.WAD) by "Steve"
  • DFAC-008.LMP - UV speed in 0:08.29
  • DFAC-022.LMP - UV max in 0:22.83
DFLW-TGH.ZIP - Demos for Death Flows Everywhere (DETHFLOW.WAD) by John Bullock
  • DFLW-154.LMP - UV speed in 1:54
  • DFLW-531.LMP - UV max in 5:31
SQIP-TGH.ZIP - Demos for squipple (squipple.wad) by goldenhog
  • SQIP-034.LMP - UV speed in 0:34
  • SQIP-228.LMP - UV max in 2:28