Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Jodwin said:

Killing Adventure the Movie (map01-map30 UV-Speed 33:57).

Seeing how I've played the WAD myself, I found this to be impressive. I especially like Map 27 and how you were fighting off shotgunners with 1 HP!

BTW, I don't know if you're aware of this, but there's actually a good timesaver in Map 18, where you just need to get an AV to blast you over the exit, as illustrated in this UV Speed of the level attached to this.

ka18-009.zip

Here's an NM-speed of megaw2.wad (megawad in two weeks) map 01
in 0:28. I also included a failed NM-speed where something very weird happened. It looks like I fell outside the level after going up the lift. No idea why though.

mw201.zip

After having downloaded abattoir.wad, I'd watch them, but this is not the point. If level 1 was tedious (shotgun shotgun shotgun), 2 would be "tedious squared", I reached a room with moving platforms and after a while I said I quit (or got killed - don't remember). Level 3 is surprisingly nice, but it is essentially a huge maze with confusing teleports and grey textures everywhere. Finished the level in over 21 minutes, so a max could be below 10 minutes I think.

Anyway I was going to say your direct question to "everybody" surprised me and I thought you're recording levels you're not having fun with. This is something I never do, except singular levels in demopacks (e.g.I liked City of Doom, I didn't like MAP08, but I recorded a demo of this map to make a complete demopack), but I'm not taking the quest of recording every single WAD ;)

I'm also clearing out a small backlog of demos that I had been too lazy to write TXTs for.

1) A complete set of Nightmare! runs for Dr. Sleep's Inferno series. The first two WADs are on /idgames, the rest are part of "Master Levels for DOOM2". I put the whole set on jootoob last winter but re-recorded two of the demos last month for the final release to DSDA:

* - the achron22 NM run was actually recorded last year and is already on DSDA, I'm re-listing it here for completeness' sake.

2) A belated release of the max demopak for Espi's masterpiece Suspended in Dusk (SID.WAD) from the same winter. That has also been up on jootoob, I just re-recorded the last map to catch the elusive last secret (thank you, vdgg). These are meant more like a walkthrough, not to compete with vdgg's speedruns (that didn't exist at the time).

3) And now it's time for dessert: a UV Max/Reality for pcorf's favorite WAD, a magnificent tribute to the most overrated WAD of the decade, the crowning glory of DOOM mapping - Whispers of Startan. The time - 4:29 - doesn't really reflect on the awesomeness of these 38 exquisite levels filled with heart-pounding action, coupled with the immaculate design worthy of the famous original that inspired it. But it will have to do for now.
I really wanted to do a Pacifist, but had to give up after several frustrating sessions, one of them ending only five checkpoints (heh) away from the goal. Should be a stroll in a park for anyone wishing to prove how badly I suck. :D

Unfortunately, your demo desyncs in prBoom-plus and Choco, ToD. The map has a Reject Overflow and it looks like Choco doesn't emulate that.

BTW, you're even lazier than I about TXT files. ;) Everything crammed into the filename, but Choco won't play files with names over 8 chars automatically.

Edit: oh, so that was your comment on /idgames! It was that comment that prompted me to record my run.

Yeah, I used to justify using big filenames because of how I used a port to record on, but I can't use that excuse with Chocolate Doom. I usually don't include txt files for a few reasons: I'm lazy, I usually don't write comments anyway, and to cut down on the number of files (500 demos = 1000 files if txt files are included). :)

Thanks for the heads up. Whispers of Startan max/reality 3:31 (recorded with prboom-plus).

After uploading some new videos to YouTube today, I realized I hadn't done anything to properly celebrate the Fourth of July. And so, I decided to record a demo on my very own Fourth of July speedmap from last year. Previously, I recorded a UV max demo, completing the level in 2:49, which can be found at the DSDA. This time, I went for UV -fast.

FWRXf353.ZIP - UV -fast on The Fireworks Factory (FIREWORX.WAD) by Eric "The Green Herring" Baker in 3:53

To fellow American speedrunners and viewers... Happy Fourth!

Nice to see your latest D2R activity guys, but for me this wad is just too hard. Probably I'm softcore player, heh. I like to record demos for easy maps, like this one:

REVENGE.WAD
m14 (#3) - UV Max - 3:03
rev3-303.zip

This wad is a set of 3 maps from 95', recently uploaded into archive. First map is utter house-styled shit, second is quite ugly and dull too, but third is much better in both aspects, visual and gameplay.

A max run of Whispers of Satan, Map11 in 5:23 performed on ZDoom v2.3.1.

This is one of the maps I was pretty good at, so I decided to make an actual speedrun out of it. I could easily improve this by now. Never bothered with it ever since. D=

wosmap11.zip

Decided to make some demos just for fun(something I've never bother doing before so these are my first).

Mock2 map09 Pacifist 0:09
Mock2 map11 UVspeed 0:15

Need ZDoom 2.2.0 to run these since the latest version(2.4.1) crashes on playbacks when I try to record them. Also I took the normal exit on map11 instead of the secret exit :P

philmock2demos.zip

Vrack3 UV Max - no big mistakes, below 2000 seconds, but 30:00 seems out of reach for me; there's a bonus failed demo. Still, if you watched my 37:57 demo and wasn't too excited about it, you may skip this one.

vr3-3243.zip

Philnemba said:

Need ZDoom 2.2.0 to run these since the latest version(2.4.1) crashes on playbacks when I try to record them.

v2.4.1 works fine with demos here. Well, as fine as ZDoom goes. The crashes happen when you record in fullscreen and attempt to play back in a window. True, these crashes are a bit of an annoyance, but think of it this way - it could be much worse (system freeze, reboot or hard drive format).

Hellcore Map01 UVspeed 1:13

Unfortunately I had to record it in Zdoom instead of Prboom-plus because the red bars near the exit aren't tag. Besides that, it was a fun map to speedrun :D

Never_Again said:

v2.4.1 works fine with demos here. Well, as fine as ZDoom goes. The crashes happen when you record in fullscreen and attempt to play back in a window. True, these crashes are a bit of an annoyance, but think of it this way - it could be much worse (system freeze, reboot or hard drive format).

I wish I knew this before but thanks for the info.

hc01-113.zip

Revved said:

Nukemine
UV Max in 23:14

Thank you for the demo, Revved. I'm a sucker for movies, and these are such nice levels. After my own maxpak I can tell that carrying over the weapons and ammo from the previous levels definitely helps, especially on E1M6, where the ammo is so tight.

DoomHero85 said:

Yeah, I know I am a bit tentative in my playing sometimes.

That doesn't bother me in the least. Your map12 demo was pretty good; sure, c_h's was a bit more focused, but it's not a big deal, really. And the map28 speedrun proves that you can handle speed, too, when necessary. It was nice to see you breeze through such a large, confusing level. Thank you for contributing to this great WAD's demo chest!

I have to watch the later D2R demos, but I must say I am pleasantly surprised by this wave of interest. Thank you, everyone.

Perhaps myk or Grazza could move all the D2R posts into a thread of its own? Here is the list for your convenience:
<snip - no longer needed>

Hitherto said:

Nice to see your latest D2R activity guys, but for me this wad is just too hard. Probably I'm softcore player, heh. I like to record demos for easy maps, like this one:
REVENGE.WAD
m14 (#3) - UV Max - 3:03
rev3-303.zip

The map may be relatively easy, but the time won't be easy to beat.
I must be a softcore player myself because I found this WAD a lot of fun as well - all three maps, not just the last one. Here are three NM Speeds for all three, plus a neat death slide. Details in the TXT, as usual.

edit: removed the long list of d2r posts as no longer necessary

Never_Again said:
Perhaps myk or Grazza could move all the D2R posts into a thread of its own?

Good idea, and done, although I left a couple of non-Doom-compatible demos here.

dib28a map02 UVspeed 3:13
exe: zdoom 2.4.1

Uses the "Super Weapons VIII"(included in zip file)DeHackEd patch by Greg Lewis and crouching/jumping to hit a switch that opens a door early.

Also be sure to playback this demo in fullscreen because it will crash in windows mode due to a bug in version 2.4.1(thanks Never_Again for pointing that out).

dib28a02-313.zip