Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Kimo's Cyberdreams map02 demo reminded me of something I'd noticed a few years back. A simple enough trick, but a bit awkward to execute thanks to the rockets being pumped into your ass the whole time.

Cyberdreams map02 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:04 (zip also includes a few failed attempts)

cy02p004.zip

sunder map 10 UV-max in 54:11 (run via GZDoom 1.4.8)

my first thoughts?
HOLY SHITSKYS I DID IT!!!11!ONE!1
well on the other hand, it's full of mistakes, and also having wrong compatibility on. At least this prooves that even amateurs can win this.

sundermap10-uv.zip

TimeOfDeath said:
yourmom.wad max 12:05

That WAD has some kind of venereal disease. It kills Boom, which apparently doesn't come with a condom, with segmentation violations (it even froze my computer doing so once) and shows occasional "screen static" flashes in PrBoom+ that display things in other areas. The first such flash to occur showed a bunch of hell knights in another room and seemed like some sort of Lovecraftian "other world" vision...

dang, 12:08 max on yourmom.wad
I get the same weird screen static, but assumed that was known and maybe due to some walk through wall weirdness or something somewhere (never froze on me though). I kind of like it just because its weird/unique.

yourmom-01-cl9-uvmax-1208-ggg.zip

lols myk. Sorry for the freezing. Yeah, that static effect was intentional, except I didn't know about the looking-through-walls part of it until testing the map. I only noticed it in Prboom/+ (doesn't happen in zdoom). It happens when you cross a line that separates two sectors. I don't know the exact details or anything, but one of the sectors is 384 units tall and the other sector is 16000 units tall (I made the brighter sectors 16000 tall and didn't give the upper walls textures so that the ceiling would still be dark but the floor/monsters would be bright). I don't remember what the limit is (I think I posted about it in the sunder thread), but it's like 8000 something, and I only got the static when the two sectors had different brightnesses.

ggg - Nice demo. Cool infighting between the barons and mancubus, and then shooting the switch before killing the cyber heh. And you lost the perfect amount of health before falling into the pit so that you didn't have to wait.

Grazza said:

Death Tormention II E3M9 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:10

Nice one, you made getting pass the small hordes of Lost Souls too easy.

Thanks, but waking them by firing the chaingun helped a lot in that respect.

One could wake them earlier by avoiding picking up the chaingun and firing the pistol, but I found that hard to do without losing time, and it didn't seem to improve the chances of a clean run sufficiently. I would have kept trying for a 0:0x, but the final caco was proving a bit random.

Thanks for reminding me about this wonderful wad, btw.

Grazza said:

Thanks for reminding me about this wonderful wad, btw.

No problem Grazza cause I like this wad too :)

Anyway decided to release some demos of jukenukem3d's Vile Fury that I made a couple of weeks ago and was going to UVmax all 6 maps but lost interest after doing maps 1,2 and 6.

Map01 Tyson 1:14
Map02 UVmax 1:57
Map06 UVmax 0:54
exe: Zdoom 2.4.1

vfurydemos.zip

TimeOfDeath said:
Sorry for the freezing.

Heh, no problem; it was my idea to use Boom with it, after all. The effect in PrBoom+ is kind of neat.

Phml said:
PAMPLON.wad NM Speed in 1:05

There are two versions of that WAD... that one has corrupt REJECT and BLOCKMAP lumps (allowing only PrBoom+ demos that play back only in PrBoom+). The fixed one, one day newer and uploaded by Grazza in '06, is here.

ggg - Nice one. no need to be surprised, what about tom19 map04,05,07,13? :)

I was going to do some uploading to /idgames soon, but I'll wait if you're still recording on yourmom. Btw, do you still have that recent demo you recorded on reality03 map02 where you got under 6 mins but forgot a couple imps? I did download/watch it, but my laptop died a few weeks ago and the demo was on that and now the link is dead. I wanna put it in the reality03 zip for /idgames.

Philnemba said:

A couple of quick demos of two old obscure wads.

Chess E1M1 Pacifist 0:11
MONSTERS Map01 UVmax 0:21
exe: Chocolate DooM v1.3.0

I do apologize, but this inspired me to record on these two levels. Hope you don't mind! X)

CHES-TGH.ZIP - Demos on CHESS.WAD (both recorded on Ultimate Doom.exe v1.9)

• CHES-112.LMP - UV max in 1:12
  • CHES-008.LMP - UV speed/pacifist in 0:08
  • NOTE TO ANDY: The filename on idgames/ is dmches.zip.
MONS-TGH.ZIP - Demos on "Monsters" (MONSTERS.WAD) by Neil Ryan Bonner (both recorded on doom2.exe v1.9)
  • MONS-010.LMP - UV max in 0:10
  • MONS-002.LMP - UV speed/pacifist in 0:02

The Green Herring said:

I do apologize, but this inspired me to record on these two levels. Hope you don't mind! X)

I have no problem of you beating my times :) Also I figure that it would be possible to get under 10 seconds on Chess.wad so nicely done on that.

Yeah, and it's clear the cybie wanted to see a sub 10-second time too, by the way it smacked him with a rocket from behind.

belial's speedmap 1 (sp1.wad) uv max in 5:03

1st exit. jeez, what am i doing recording a max? i should know better.

edit: oh fuck, i recorded on the first version and it desyncs halway through. gaaahhhhhhhhhrrr...

sp1-503.zip

Try posting it again; something must have happened to the attachment.

For a while there I was thinking I'd record a UV speed for every (non-hub) level in equinox.wad. I might not finish all of them, but... here's the next one.

MAP06 UV Speed in 1:37

Recorded with CDoom 2.06

eq06-137.zip

Here is the demo (hopefully attached). I have no clue what exactly happened to the last attachment.

This demo was recorded on my old computer (which has a mouse) because I cannot stand all keyboard...I'm about a minute slower with everything that way although the demos turn out really smooth. Enough bitchin'

I think I'm going to take a break from speedrunning now...

Enjoy.

pe-903.zip

Alright! I've climbed one more rung of the ladder!

equinox.wad MAP07 UV SPEED in 2:57

Recorded, of course, with ZDoom 2.0.47i, also known as "ZDoom: Rampage Edition."

I also found a neat shortcut, which, unfortunately, is unfeasible when there are monsters running around, so the zip also includes a -nomonsters demo in 2:14, recorded with Sonic Robo Blast 2.

eq07-257.zip

equinox.wad MAP09 UV SPEED in 1:25

This is a table-filler, even though a NM SPEED has already been recorded on the same level. That may make you think that by running the level on UV, I'm just taking the easy way out, but it's still tricky. Trust me.

Also, scroll up and watch eq07-257 if you haven't yet. MAP07 is a good level for speedrunning, and it's one of the better runs I've recorded. (I actually recorded it in simple old PrBoom-plus; I was trying to troll the demo-format purists by claiming otherwise but I don't think it worked.)

eq09-125.zip