Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

I normally dislike watching long UV-Speeds, but this was definitely a pleasure. Ostensibly, nothing seems overtly difficult, but reading your text certainly yields some deeper insights. Awesome run!

Qaatar said:

I normally dislike watching long UV-Speeds

Maybe it's because many of the multi-minute UV Speed demos are just messy, unimpressive half-maxkill tablefillers, as there aren't many people who are interested in pulling out a crazy task of making a truly sporty speedrun through a heavy, fierce map which doesn't provide cheap shortcuts.

Needless to say, Creaphis' demo is something very unique -- it's rare to see such a smooth and snappy, Compet-N-quality speedrun of such length (on a single level). It would be nice for classic PWADs like Requiem/AV/HR to have more similar well-done Mega-Speedruns on levels like AV28 or MM2-28 (these two are undone yet).

Here is my UV pacifist and speed run demo for Demon Aquarium. It's my first speed run demo of any kind, so I just tried to copy what other people did with their .txt file.

At first my route had me going through the whole map for a time of 1:27, but I realized that I had been blind to the obvious shortcut at the beginning of the map, so my final time is 0:09. The long route exit left a lot to chance, as it required you to teleport either behind, next to, or inside of a cyber demon.

I'll probably go for a UV-max demo next.

Edit: Added nightmare speed in :10 and Nightmare 100% secrets in :41

da09.zip

For a first speedrun these demos are pretty good. In fact, I'd say they are better that the WAD they are recorded on. ;) It is nice that you included the original long UV Speed. A few players, including myself, like to record "intended route" demos, so I would hardly call your 1:27 run garbage. Failed runs can be pretty amusing as well.

A couple of recommendations on demo recording:

• Use appropriate complevels. Before posting your demos check that they were recorded with the correct complevels by playing back the demo in prB+ then checking the G_DoPlayDemo: line at the end of stdout.txt in your prB+'s folder. "playing demo with Current PrBoom compatibility" there means the demo was recorded with no complevel.
  • In prB+ go to Options -> General, third page, Demo section and set Use extended demo format to Yes. Alternatively, you can edit glboom-plus.cfg (or prboom-plus.cfg if you run prboom-plus.exe) so that it has this line:
    demo_extendedformat           1
    After that any demo you record can be played straight from a ZIP manager's window without any need for frontends, command lines, shortcuts or registry hacks.
  • Unless easy playback with vanilla or Chocolate DOOM is your primary goal you can use more descriptive filenames, all modern ports support filenames longer than 8 chars.

A couple of demos of my own. A few days ago I picked another WAD from /newstuff:
OLD HELL SCRAPER by Walter "Daimon" Confalonieri and did two UV Maxes for it - MAP31 in 12:40 and MAP32 in 12:45. If you hate Wolf3D stuff in DOOM levels and super-cramped maps in general, you're better off without seeing the demos or the WAD. :)

Never_Again said:

Before posting your demos check that they were recorded with the correct complevels by playing back the demo in prB+ then checking the G_DoPlayDemo: line at the end of stdout.txt in your prB+'s folder.

I'll just insert a [fairly obvious?] comment here: you don't need to play the demo to the end to check this. If you start the demo playing and quit immediately, this info will be in the stdout.txt. You don't even need to have loaded the correct wads - you can exploit this to determine the format of an unknown demo in a few seconds.

Mycyber UV -fast in 0:39
Exe: Chocolate Doom v1.3.0

Was trying to go exactly 38 seconds matching Dugan Chen's regular max demo but after an half an hour worth of attempts I gave up. At least I actually have the motivation to make a demo on Doom's birthday.

cyber-39fast.zip

skepticist said:

SUNDER MAP02 UV-MAX in 7:31

Just a quick improvement with more aggresive approach to the ending part.

Awesome! Finally some new Maxes for Sunder! After I finish plugging the holes for the CC's, I'm planning on doing MAP03 and MAP08 (I know Oku has them on Youtube, but he never bothered to share the lmps).

Edit: I'd love to see your Maxes for those two, as it'll probably take me a while to do clean runs for the holes in CC.

Endgame.wad maxez.

I was suprised there's no demo for map03 at DSDA, so here's a tablefiller.

MAP01 in 1:29
MAP02 in 1:20
MAP03 in 6:57

2 Qaatar: i love Sunder, i rly do, but it's so f***ing hard to play (HR/AV/SD/KS seems like a piece of cake compared to this wad). I'll try to record map03 demo aswell, but cannot promise anything. I'm not as skilled as you or Okuplok. :)

endgame.zip

Awsm map 2, finally a working way to take out those revs

I was trying map 10 for a few days, my old run on DSDA is quite fail. I died twice at *cough* last bridge *cough*. I guess running through it in one go wasn't such great idea

skep, you shouldn't worry about your demo quality SO much, it's not a sin to release runs that are still humanly beatable. :)

dew said:

skep, you shouldn't worry about your demo quality SO much, it's not a sin to release runs that are still humanly beatable. :)

Ignore this shiz. We need moar peepz with the mindset of Skep and SAV.

Qaatar said:

Ignore this shiz. We need moar peepz with the mindset of Skep and SAV.

well, skep said the perfectionist mindset kept him from recording demos, so.. shut up. :)

Well, more i practice easier it gets. Still very hard, tho. But what puzzels me is why the switch that opens two doors from YK-section is set as S1 while there's two separate lines that closes them... I got trapped in one of attempts because of that.

Here's my first exit. I'll probably try to improve it, but as for now i need some cooldown... A minute shaved off, anyway, good enough for the start.

I dunno if i lost some revived monsters behind, looking for them carefully in whole YK area costs a plenty of time.

SUNDER MAP03 UV-MAX in 13:15.

su031315.zip

Chyeah, son.

Dunno why I'm using pathetic ghetto ebonics, but this is getting me excited. Looking forward to more!

j4rio said:

Awsm map 2, finally a working way to take out those revs

I was trying map 10 for a few days, my old run on DSDA is quite fail. I died twice at *cough* last bridge *cough*. I guess running through it in one go wasn't such great idea

here is my eventual try on sunder map 10

uv max in 39:49 (9 missed monsters, I think oku missed 7 :[ )
I couldn't risk going rapidly through last bridge, I'd most certainly fall

I hope you enjoy this one

:)))))

sundermap10-uvmax.zip

skepticist said:

Well, more i practice easier it gets. Still very hard, tho. But what puzzels me is why the switch that opens two doors from YK-section is set as S1 while there's two separate lines that closes them... I got trapped in one of attempts because of that.

Here's my first exit. I'll probably try to improve it, but as for now i need some cooldown... A minute shaved off, anyway, good enough for the start.

I dunno if i lost some revived monsters behind, looking for them carefully in whole YK area costs a plenty of time.

SUNDER MAP03 UV-MAX in 13:15.

You're right about the YK area Skep, however if you do trigger the other line, you can just head into the Baron room and hit the switch again. (I made sure it was set to SR, not S1.)

Probably the last set of Killing Adventure maxes you'll see from me because I don't want to do Map 31 and Map 30 doesn't have enough ammo to kill all the arch-viles.

Map 9 UV Max in 1:07
Map 10 UV Max in 0:47
Map 12 UV Max in 1:53
Map 14 UV Max in 2:39
Map 19 UV Max in 1:38
Map 23 UV Max in 2:41
Map 28 UV Max in 3:44
Map 32 UV Max in 0:07

ka-rev3.zip

more killadve goodness

I hate to say it, but this wad is more fun to speedrun than a good heap of serious projects out there :S

map 2 max in 0:47
map 3 max in 1:30
map 4 max in 1:33

killadve_maxes.zip

Revved said:

Probably the last set of Killing Adventure maxes you'll see from me because I don't want to do Map 31

well I have a run of it lying around, I didn't realise no max of it had been done

killadve-map31max.zip