Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Memfis said:

Is this somehow related to BLOCKMAP?

Yes. This post, and the links given in it, should explain why this is the case.

Paska said:

Watching that demo, it seemed to me that it should be possible to do in 6 seconds, but I can't do it :( I got six times 7.00 and I just can't shave the last tick.

Sure, 6 seconds must be possible. I got a highish 7 on my second attempt, and felt that it would be tricky (for me, at least) to knock that second off.

Regarding quick start, are you doing this in vanilla or prboom+? (Not that I'm any sort of expert on this.) I'm aware that in vanilla, you can get some odd movements in the early tics. In prboom+, I generally just press the forward key (or a turning key) down just before the game starts, and then adjust direction a few tics in.

The older compet-n superstars (e.g. Adam W) can probable shed a lot of light on this, but they don't drop by too often here. There may have been discussion in the compet-n forums. I recall that the way key-presses before the game starts may be handled differently by different operating systems.

regarding quick start, if you swing your mouse during the wipescreen effect, you will be turned already in (during?) the first tic. it is not hard at all to learn the move and start in an angle that will let you sr40/50 right away.

Heh thanks Grazza, I checked compet-n forums (with the waybackmachine), but my mind was wandering so I read only all the speedrun posts :))

dew said:

regarding quick start, if you swing your mouse during the wipescreen effect, you will be turned already in (during?) the first tic. it is not hard at all to learn the move and start in an angle that will let you sr40/50 right away.

Thanks, that did help. Although I still face two problems. If I press forward and strafe left (or right) while the game is loading (moving mouse doesn't matter in this case), I do get the quick start but I THINK the first and the second ticks are virtually always like this:
Case one:
First tick: Move forward
Second tick: Move forward + strafe left

Case two:
First tick: strafe left
Second tick: Move forward + strafe left

So I never get move forward and strafe left to the very first tick so my movement takes curve and the acceleration isn't optimal, although I'm not sure if this is really the case.

Demo shows the curve in the beginning. After the curve I move my mouse very little to the left and the aim warps back to the default angle for no reason. (Maybe dew answered to the latter problem already, but I'm still confused with the curve, unless it's normal)

curve.zip

Here's another demo of Project Awesome E3M8 to match Paska's, 7.00 seconds.

The start is slightly different, it should be possible in theory to open the door and fire the BFG each one tick sooner but I can't get it.

Quoting Pashka's next post:

You got the BFG at 0.31 seconds and I got it 2 ticks later at 0.37 seconds :)

I did a quick turn like Dew mentioned so I could get better acceleration. But I can't get a better time, unfortunately.

pjawe_007_verty.zip

UV-Maxes for MAPs01-09 of Simplicity - Because Complexity Sucks. Recorded in ZDoom 2.5.0.

1      Aegis Power Plant         1:35
2      Waste Processing          2:03
3      Hazzard Storage           2:39
4      Mechanical Labs           3:23
5      Cargo Transfer            3:30
6      Research Center           5:04
7      Complications             2:14
8      Central Security Grid     3:07
9      Manufacturing Plant       3:07
I wanted to make a UV-Max demopack for this wad, but after few days I found out that some maps doesn't work correctly in zdoom 2.5.0. The biggest flaw: on map10 the boss doesn't appear!
Now I will work with Zdoom 2.1.7 and Ultimate Simplicity instead. But I can't just throw those demos into garbage, so here they are. Some of them are pretty good and some are just crappy first exits. Enjoy!

sp_simp01-09-uvmax.zip

j4rio said:

Yippee :))

plutonia map 16 in 2:32

Wow, congrats on beating Hegyi!! The demo was very fun to watch and probably very fun to record to. :)

Hock said:

Doom 2 map 02 nomo run in 0:16

Same as the one in nomonster-thread, except you removed TAS note from txt.

xepop said:

Same as the one in nomonster-thread, except you removed TAS note from txt.

Oh oops! I saved two txt files of that demo and placed the wrong one in the zip file. I forgot about the post in the other thread I will delete this one!

Every time i record demos on my computer it has an internal error for a second so i need to pause the game to prevent prboom from shutting down

Okay, I promise this is the last time I'm spamming with killing adventure. :P

Last time I posted bunch, I didn't know if I'll get back to it. Now it's done, each time of ToD beaten (except map 5 which is only a few ticks faster) as well as a few of my older embrassing runs. I'd like to ask Andy to delete all maxes I've got in killadve.wad at dsda and just put there these ones so it'd be a little less of a mess there (hope it's not too much of an annoyance).

Obviously most are far from optimised, but that's not what I'm too good at, more like dew's material. At least I tried.

Anyways.

Map 1 - 0:12
Map 2 - 0:47
Map 3 - 1:19
Map 4 - 1:32
Map 5 - 0:39
Map 6 - 0:58
Map 7 - 0:45
Map 8 - 1:41
Map 9 - 0:46
Map 10 - 0:32
Map 11 - 2:54
Map 12 - 1:28
Map 13 - 3:36
Map 14 - 2:08
Map 15 - 1:06
Map 16 - 1:59
Map 17 - 1:12
Map 18 - 1:29
Map 19 - 1:31
Map 20 - 0:46
Map 21 - 2:17
Map 22 - 2:32
Map 23 - 1:39
Map 24 - 1:18
Map 25 - 1:00
Map 26 - 1:23
Map 27 - 2:14
Map 28 - 2:52
Map 29 - 0:30
Map 30 (fast) - 1:43
Map 31 - 4:03
Map 32 - 0:06

(What's up with ToD anyways? Quite awkward to see latest doomgod disappear.)

killingadventurepack.zip

Out of boredom last night (and possibly done as a result of watching old demos), I did a UV-Pacifist for map 2 of sbspd021.wad. Clear time is 0:54. Not too bad, not too hard (Only 2 spots really feature an element of luck in getting past, one of those comes right away at the start), but still could go a pinch quicker (2-3 seconds).

sbspd21-02p054.zip

AFTERDOOM 2 by Virgil the Doom Poet
MAP05 UV-Max in 9:01

I'm not a big fan of such straightforward slaughter maps (I'm not good at them), but that was fun.
Watch with IDMUS09 for Dream Theater music. :)

adsp05-901.zip