Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

New Id Game

http://www.forbes.com/business/commerce/newswire/2004/05/12/rtr1369735.html

In an interview with Reuters on the sidelines of the video game industry trade show E3 here, Todd Hollenshead said that the game in question was new intellectual property, and was not a "Doom," "Quake" or "Wolfenstein" game.

He offered few details on the style or content of the game, other than to say the id team would start serious work on it in short order, possibly a matter of days, after moving on from the PC and later Xbox releases of the new "Doom."

I thought there was still another game in development. But i cant remember by whom anymore Gray Matter or Nerve?. Did they say that for their new game they did't want to have such a long development time? So 2006 must be achievable.

EDIT:
These pictures here are old concept art for a game cold The Quest.

See more here: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=de_en&url=http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/action/16272/

Thanks to: http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=15958

Many have sought the endorsement of Carmack, but Hollenshead denied claims that his blessing could be bought.
"It is a technical meritocracy," he said.

Nvidia?

What does "new intellectual property" mean? Do they base the game in a setting that is "intellectual property" of someone, meaning based in an already existing and known fictional world? Or do they want to create something completely new?

He offered few details on the style or content of the game, other than to say the id team would start serious work on it in short order, possibly a matter of days, after moving on from the PC and later Xbox releases of the new "Doom."

"Possibly a matter of days"? Hmm, that leads me to think that Doom 3 is right on the doorstep of going gold for real. The "summer release" might as well end up being really close if we're lucky.

In the book, "Masters of Doom"(The paperback version) talks about John Carmack making a new 3d Engine for a completely new franchise.

The only thing that dissapoints me is that John Carmack said it might be another shooter. I was hoping he was going to make his RPG game that should have been Quake.

Nunez said:

The only thing that dissapoints me is that John Carmack said it might be another shooter. I was hoping he was going to make his RPG game that should have been Quake.

That course of action doesn't surprise me in the least - I remember reading an interview with an Id employee long time ago in which he said that Id does what Id does best, which is making first person shooters.
Also, first person shooters are what have made Id truly popular, so backing down from that is not gonna get everyone's approval.

dsm said:

Id does what Id does best, which is making first person shooters.

Agreed, i love ID's FPS games. It would be nice to see another game type/genre from them, but i doubt many people would go for it (unless they sell out and make "doom online rpg") Just pray it doesnt happen lol.

dsm said:

"Possibly a matter of days"? Hmm, that leads me to think that Doom 3 is right on the doorstep of going gold for real. The "summer release" might as well end up being really close if we're lucky.

Or it could mean that they'll begin work on the new game a couple of days after releasing Doom 3 (after binge drinking celebrating its release).

Which doesn't necessarily mean Doom 3 will be gold in the next couple of days.

the lone crouton said:

Only a matter of 89765486578465746378056475634566568395 days until the sun goes out.

More like 2000000000000.

dsm said:

Also, first person shooters are what have made Id truly popular, so backing down from that is not gonna get everyone's approval.

Yeah, I just hope we aren't still seeing the same kind of game id for the rest of the company's lifespan. It'd just be nice to see some gameplay innovation from them, rather than all graphical.

Saying that though, there still hasn't been an id game I've actually disliked.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Saying that though, there still hasn't been an id game I've actually disliked.

Isn't that all that really matters?

Laguna said:

Isn't that all that really matters?

It is, but it would be nice to say them produce something really amazing and fresh. There's different degrees of like, and I haven't played a single player game by id which I've really, really rated since.... oh... Doom.

Scabbed Angel said:

Shit, and still so much to do!

Who wants to make bets on which way the world will end first? Naturally or due to man? (man causing natural disasters doesn't count as natural either)

Scabbed Angel said:

Shit, and still so much to do!

oh well. you and I will be dead by then.

Melfice said:

Who wants to make bets on which way the world will end first? Naturally or due to man? (man causing natural disasters doesn't count as natural either)

Man. The world is a cesspool. We are its cancer.

Nunez said:

Quake? can you think of a game that would make a worse rpg?

Why that? Quake´s story background with all the Lovecraft inspired realms and creatures would make a great setting for an RPG (or at least for an Action Adventure with RPG elements).

I would definitely have preferred Quake as something more akin to what the original concept was planned to be - I thought the early Quake screenshots looked interesting, but I really lost interest when it became clear that it was gonna be similar to Doom in so many aspects. The final game turned out to be worse than my already low expectations had suggested, namely because the shotguns weren't nice, meaty and powerful like the Doom shotguns (I had at least expected that a single sb shotgun blast would send the lowest enemies flying backwards - no such luck!). Gotta admit that some of the monsters surprised me in a good way though, and I liked the gren launcher.

The original concept seemed fresher (though perhaps not particularly original and maybe even a bit cheesy) and the idea of using an array of magic weapons a la HeXen's kinda appealed to me. I dunno, I've no clue how it could've turned out if Id had gone with the original idea.

Who wants to make bets on which way the world will end first?

With someone saying "Oh my god don't press that but-"