Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathz0r

doom community story!

The ability to breathe normally gradually comes back to you, but the pain from the latest impact you've suffered won't go away, dull, aching, ebbing pain in your kidneys. The hallway lighting is playing havoc with your eyes, you see things that aren't there. You actually let off a shot at what is only an imaginary Revenant... Get a Grip! you shout at yourself. Choking. You hear choking. Kia, oh my god. Nothing hell can muster can equal your scream as you charge down the despicable passage to where the nightmare noises came from...

You charge through the dimly-lit hallway, screaming your lungs out, and then screaming some more. There is nothing that can stop you--you are death, coming for whatever has taken Kia. Tears form in your eyes, blurring your vision, but you don't bother to wipe them away--your hands are too busy slapping two shells home into your DBS. Your rage manifests itself in front of you, the image of a burning ray of crimson light streaking down the hallway to get revenge against the ones who killed your comrades and are now torturing your only love in the world. Kia keeps screaming your name, and all you can hear is her calling,
"Russel! Russel!" over the constant 'tik-tak' of your steel-toed boots.
The hall seems to only get longer, and as you think you are close to the end you see another mile stretch before you. But Kia sounds like she is only feet away from you. Your heart sinks with despair as you run for what seems like miles, but you never reach the end--and Kia.

Your legs are tiring out. Your lungs are burning. It doesn't seem like you can't go on. Panting like a dog, you sink to your knees and weep, your wracking sobs ringing off the walls and echoing down the hallway. Tears fall freely onto the filthy, blood-stained floor.
The world is not worth living in without Kia there to back you up.
She is still screaming your name, her sobs filling the hallway and drowning out your own lamentings.
You failed Kia.
You failed your race.
You failed yourself.

The tears stop. The sobbing ends. It's time to face the music. You unholster your pistol, aim it at your forehead. With one last thought of Kia, you pull the trigger.

And then you wake up.

"Russell! Damnit, wake up!" Kia is busy shaking you awake, and from the looks of it, she's been trying for a while.

"Just five more minutes..."

"Damnit, Russ, we don't have five minutes. Now look around and tell me what you see."

You take a quick inventory of the area. Yes, it's the atrium you remember being in, complete with the balcony hanging over into the center. Then you remember what happened. Kia was busy shouting at you from up there...

"So how long have I been out?"

"Damnit, do I look like a clock?" she fumes. "It's been at least half an hour, though. We need to get moving, and quick. I think there's more crabs around here... and worse, along the same lines."

Colonel Adam Boon stepped out of the shuttlecraft that had made it's way from Mars the minute they heard about the trouble. Boon would have been a veteran of the Earth invasion if it wasn't for the interesting adventure he had - he was stuck in an under-construction UAC base doing guard duty at the time of the invasion. Acting on his survival instincts, he uncovered a few secrets and managed to wind up on Phobos - but that's another story. Needless to say, he cleaned up what was left of the Phobos base, and that was enough to earn him countless commendations and a promotion.
"Smith, Wilkinson, with me, the rest of you in teams of 3. Move out!" he yelled to the 11 marines that accompanied him.
The first thing he noticed was the pile of bodies and the mass destruction. The second thing he noticed took him a bit longer to work out.
"Uhhhh, where are all the living demons and humans?"

(Note from Goober - Adam Boon is a character in my Doom Chronicles project. The WIP you can download has you playing him. No one kills him off, got it? :)

"Colonel Boon, this is Sgt. O'Riordan. We've found... something."

"Well?"

"It's not anything we recognize. Looks like a cube of metal, but it keeps shaking like a cube of Jell-O."

"Soldier, tell me when you find something more important than that." He switched out.

Danielle O'Riordan, along with her "team", Rick Anderson and Damian Kendall, kept searching, as the metal cube finally changed shape...

In what seems like an abruptly discordant and almost painful movement, the cube leaps three feet in the air and begins spinning rapidly. A furious whine fills the air, forcing the marines to shield their ears from the noise. Soon, a piercing light fills the bay. After what seems like an eternity in the cacaphony of light and sound, the marines realize that all has gone harshly quiet.

Quiet, that is, until the three floating monstrosities pivot to see them.

After hearing the sharp report of gunfire and the tersely yelled orders, Colonel Boon decides that the cube was more important than he realized. "Jordan! Holland! Get down there, on the double!"

DC

Life was hard being an imp. Being one of the lower grunts of hell, he wasn't given the ability to speak, so whenever he had a message to take to his masters he always had to go through a painful telepathy session. This served their master's purposes well: the imps had no telepathic ability of their own so they couldn't communicate with other imps and organise a revolution; and the pain of his master delving in to his mind kept him in line and further enraged him to kill.

The imp's master finished with the imp and sent it back to where it came from. So, someone else had gone up to Phobos. The crabs were attacking. No need to send anything else, he thought, as the crabs would finish them off. Besides, we have that Cartwright creature, the one who caused our plans to disintegrate all them years ago. And we have leverage over him with that Kia thing he holds so dear. No, we won't kill him now, we will torture him a bit more, make him sorry he even stood up against our might. He WILL pay, and humanity will finally be ours...

I hate to deviate from the storytelling, but

WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!!!!!

First we have a strike team land, which doesn't really have anything to do with anything, then we have an Imp that's torturing the main character! This is madness! I hate to sound the pessimist, the story has obviously taken a left turn into the realm of outright craziness. I don't mean to be mean or arrogant, but maybe we should just stick to Kia and Russel.

Uhhhh, I thought I made it perfectly clear that the imp wasn't torturing the main character... the imp was going to his master with news, and the only way the master can find out news is with telepathy which is painful for the imp... the second paragraph is the master speaking (hence the double line)... and then I put stars after it so whoever continues it can continue whatever plot line they wish... I was hoping someone would pick up on the idea that Russ and Kia aren't really free of the demon's grip at all ("No, we won't kill him now, we will torture him a bit more"), but hopefully this post will clear things up somewhat, and if not I edited the post above to say the imp's master finished with instead of He finished with.
EDIT: And why not make Boon's storyline mean something to the story? I didn't start another part of the plot just to have other people say "it has nothing to do with the story"... after all, that's just how Kia started in the story, a separate plotline...
EDIT 2: I'm working on a WAD right now which includes Kia as an NPC... it's for ZDoom v1.23b28 and I want to have it finished by next Sunday's newstuff. If you've seen STARBOX.WAD which I provided a link to in the Skyboxes thread in the main forum, it's an extension of that WAD.

Uhhhh, I thought I made it perfectly clear that the imp wasn't torturing the main character... the imp was going to his master with news, and the only way the master can find out news is with telepathy which is painful for the imp... the second paragraph is the master speaking (hence the double line)... and then I put stars after it so whoever continues it can continue whatever plot line they wish... I was hoping someone would pick up on the idea that Russ and Kia aren't really free of the demon's grip at all ("No, we won't kill him now, we will torture him a bit more"), but hopefully this post will clear things up somewhat, and if not I edited the post above to say the imp's master finished with instead of He finished with.
EDIT: And why not make Boon's storyline mean something to the story? I didn't start another part of the plot just to have other people say "it has nothing to do with the story"... after all, that's just how Kia started in the story, a separate plotline...

Ok, my opinion on the issue:
I don't like giving the demons the ability to talk as they'll seem too much like a sort of "comic-aliens" in my eyes (sorry Gooberman). I prefer to let the demons remain "dumb animals", unholy creatures formed of pure evil with only one thought: "Kill, kill, torture, eat...kill, kill, torture, eat..etc.

Frankly I would've contributed to this story, but the imp-part drove the story too far away from my preferred way of story-telling. Well, going back to before the imp-part could *perhaps* yeld a contribution from me.

That's the thing, the imp CAN'T talk, which is why it's master has to search through it's mind for the information it wants...

That's the thing, the imp CAN'T talk, which is why it's master has to search through it's mind for the information it wants...

Still, I prefer to see things from only the human point of view.

Anyway, I've got a contribution to the story, but it's following up on the stuff BEFORE the imp part (sorry Gooberman).

The three marines rushed around the corner of the wrecked building, only to see their last comrade getting killed by the scorching ball of lightning that the red floating thingie had launched from it’s monstrous, teeth filled mouth. There were three of them. Boon could see that one of them was covered in a sticky blue substance, flowing from several wounds in it’s slimy, scaly skin. The thing was badly wounded, which meant that it had taken hits, before the last of Boon’s boys were fried.

He reacted by sheer instinct and pulled the trigger on his chaingun, letting loose a short, but deadly burst at the monster. The thing let out a strange bubbling sound and crashed to the ground with a heavy splattering *thud*. The two other immediately turned to face the three soldiers.

"COVER!" he roared at his comrades as the remaining cratures hissed at them in rage....

Two blasts of crackling lightning balls flew overhead, and exlode on the wall. Boon had ducked before the attacks and had his weapon ready for fun.
A barrage of 2-inch long bullets sprayed out the end of the chainguns barrels, the red floating wraiths shrieked and 'popped' apart all over the floor. Kia then suddenly fell to the floor as she held her head in pain. "Get out of my head!" She screams as tears trickle down her cheeks. "Kia! Kia, answer me!"
Kia rose to her feet, but something was strange about her, she was a zombie, purely evil, too. Her eyes were now a pasty white and her skin turnt pale. "Boon, don't fire take her weapon." Colonol Boon quickly snatched the weapon from Kia's now undead grasp.
"I am no longer Kia, I am the force of Baphomet, the force that drives these mindless monsters to kill and maim. Soon I will sent my Arch-Viles to kill and re-animate you. Your Earth and people will belong to us, do not bother to resist, you'll fail." A demonic, deep, brooding voice echoed as it exited Kia's once human mouth.
Then, as suddenly as she started to levitate, she fell to the floor. Her flesh returned to its peach-tan color, and her eyes turnt back to their original color. Slowly she got up, Russel and Boon were still in a shock-like state. "Russel, Colonol Boon, what's wrong? Why do you have my gun?" "What gun?" "I'm not sure. I thought I had a gun." Kia said in confusion.

Right, time to spell things out.
OK, imps are generally regarded to have simple minds. Just like all animals, they see things and they remember. And just like all animals, they can be trained. The imp got the word to go back to his master. Now, since imps have very simple minds, and the mind entering the imp's mind was vastly superior and more complex, the imp's mind freaks because it can't understand what's happening to it and as a result causes it immense pain.
Now, the part about the master speaking about torturing Russell and using Kia as leverage... who remembers a few posts ago when Russell nearly killed himself because he thought he'd failed Kia? Yes, he woke up, but think about it in regards to my post up there - the demons were giving him a mind-fuck. It never happened, but it seemed real to Russell at the time. The mind-fuck is a form of torture, and if the demons give him enough mind-fucks it might have the same effect as any normal torture.

EDIT: Now for KingKill33's part I'll say what the fuck... Boon is on Phobos and Russel/Kia are not...

*STILL OFF-STORY

Where did Kia and Russel suddenly come from??? I thought they were much deeper into the complex or somewhere entirely different.

It's ok to let Boon rendevouz with the two other heroes, but for Pete's sake wait a bit longer, huh? And please make things seem a little more coherent - making Kia and Russel come out of the 'blue' now, doesn't make much sense.

Can't we just make a new 'topic' for discussing these things in future? I'd like to keep the flow of the story without having it being interrupted by discussions about "wheter something fits in the story or not".

Now can we please just continue the story?

Yes, back to the story, following on from dsm's last post...

The first demon Boon had ever seen was one of those red things - now two instead of three - floating towards the cover position. The military had named then Cacodemons. What a weird name. Then again, what a weird creature. They still died just like every other demon though, as was evidenced by a hand grenade thrown around the corner, killing off one of the Cacodemons. All of a sudden, the hissing of the Cacodemon stopped. Boon looked around the corner to be confronted by the dead Cacodemon and a puddle of metal on the floor.
"O'Ridoran! Tell me some more about those cubes!" he barked.
"Well sir, they was metallic, not quite solid yet not quite liquid, and they turned in to Cacodemons."
Boon was almost puzzled by this. "It seems the demons have been busy since they were defeated all those years ago," he said out loud. "But why has it turned in to a puddle?"
"Don't ask me sir," O'Ridoran said, mistaking the distant look Boon was giving in his direction as being directed at him.
Boon came to a quick decision. "Jordan, Holland, Wilkinson, keep an eye on that puddle. Smith, see if you can access the surveillance camera network. I want to know exactly what's happened so far. Three of you, come with me, and as for you last four, secure the perimeter. I want contact with everyone every minute without fail. Let's move, people!"

An animal-like growling sound nearby made Kia and Russel stop dead in their tracks. They had been running down a dimly lit hallway, where only a few lights still worked. They both stood still, their weapons in firing position, looking cautiously around in the darkened room they had entered. There was an open doorway to the left and a glass-pane to the right. A smashed computer panel at the end-wall was what caught Kia’s attention. It almost looked like a rocket launcher had blown the panel to bits.
Russel stepped forward.
"Russ, stay here!", Kia hissed under her breath.

Her warning came just seconds too late.

A huge form crashed through the windowpane, leaping towards Russel. Thankfully, Russel had just turned his face in that direction and had noticed the thing coming. He swung the shotgun around as fast as he could and pulled the trigger, emptying two shells into the form.
The lifeless shape crashed into him, its enormous weight sending him to the floor. Utilizing all his strength and with the aid of Kia, he was able to push the body away and climb out from underneath it.

They both looked at the thing.
It had strange pink skin and bull-like horns protruding from the sides of its big head. All four legs were muscular and seemed immensely powerful and in general the thing reminded Russel of a small bull, but this thing’s mouth was filled with ugly, sharp teeth.

You look at the horid beast and something in your mind snaps. You rush at the creature and start to pummel it with your fists, its screams of pain add to your anger as you beat it to death...

OK, imps are generally regarded to have simple minds. Just like all animals, they see things and they remember. And just like all animals, they can be trained. The imp got the word to go back to his master. Now, since imps have very simple minds, and the mind entering the imp's mind was vastly superior and more complex, the imp's mind freaks because it can't understand what's happening to it and as a result causes it immense pain.

Someone read/watched too much Lord of the Rings :)

Each thud of your fist against its vile flesh makes your eyes widen. Behind you Kia screams "COME ON RUSS!" but you ignore her, wanting only to take your anger out on this monstrosity.

The demon dies slowly, gurgling, its thick red blood pouring in droves to the ground. Suddenly the blood begins to float, as do you an Kia...damnit! They took out the primary gravity generators...FUCK!
"Russ, we have to get to the secondary generator NOW"! Kia yelled. The oxy was still on...for now.

"What the..." Boon exclaimed as he and his three troops lifted off the floor and began to float.
"What happened to the damn gravity?!" Private Frost yelled in surprise.
"Someone's fucked up one of the gravity generators!" Corporal Hudson hissed out of the side of his mouth, floating just beneath the ceiling of the gloomy hallway.

The four soldiers had just entered the main complex, when they had suddenly become weightless.

"Oh shit!" Boon whispered hoarsely. "The bastards likely intend to shut down all gravity processing on this damn ball o’ rock!"
"You mean make the whole of Phobos unbreatheable?" Hudson asked, his voice barely audible.
"More than that. It'll uproot the whole damn base as well! We need to take control of all the three remaining gravity generators and keep those critters from..."
The Colonel was interrupted by a radio call from Sgt. O'Riordan
"Sir, we're in deep shit! Gravity is gone and we've got company!"
"Are the critters affected by the gravity too?" Boon asked, gritting his teeth.
"Some of them, Sir. But those floatin' cacofreaks don't seem to have any trouble at all! Situation is getting critical! Wesley's down and more of those bastards are coming!"
"All right! Retreat into the damn station, try to get to the remaining gravity generators, we'll go for number three, number four is closest to your squad, so we'll deal with it. Call up the rest of the guys and tell them to go to number two, move out!"
"Acknowledged!" O'Riordan replied and signed off.

Boon called up Smith to hear if he could see anything on the camera system.
"Private Smith, this is Delta-Foxtrot, do you copy?"

There was no reply, only static.

Than you notice the dopefish is trying to eat the station, so you pour salt ALL over the station so he can enjoy his meal.

"There's the problem solved there." you say

Does it get a side order of coffee? :P

*ahem* I'll add to this story soon, gotta think of somethin to add to it....