Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Beat Doom 3

I was thinking of the comparison between an instantaneous turn with S50 throughout and an instantaneous turn dropping to S40 for just that one gametic.

Sometimes a "curve" is undoubtedly the fastest route - when running along the outside of a "curved" wall, for instance.

I'm not completely sure about how the acceleration works within each gametic - i.e. whether the acceleration is in the direction you were going before the turn, the direction you're pointing after the turn, or some combination of the two. Edit: I experimented a little bit to try to answer this, and ... it's clearly not at all simple.

And the silly thing is, with modern games like Half-Life, UT, Morrowind, et cetera, the movement physics have almost disappeared. This instant-start, instant-stop movement is quite primitive and not fun at all.

Pretty much every first-person shooter can be finished in less than a day. That's just how it is these days, and I don't see an effective way of solving this without throwing huge amounts of extra content in.

They said it would take experienced FPS'ers a weekend, i'm not an experienced FPS'er and find most modern ones too complicated and hard to even bother with, so it will probably take me months..which may not be bad heh

Scabbed Angel said:

That has to be somewhat depressing; create a game over the course of 4 years only to have it completed in a weekend. Damn.

Yeah that is a downer, i bet they aint bothered though, just glad to get it over and done with and shut peeps like us up lol.

But then again even if you do beat it, like me you can look forward to the deathmatches, mods and the whole remaking of the old doom wads to look forward to.

Grazza said:

14:41, but that's TAS, and with an altered exe to give S50 even when turning. 26:09 is the quickest standard Doom2 UV Speed movie run.

Ah thanks you.

Scabbed Angel said:
That has to be somewhat depressing; create a game over the course of 4 years only to have it completed in a weekend. Damn.

Just think about a bottle of fine wine, and how long it may be stored in a cellar before it's consumed in a night's feast.

Times have sure changed, old games couldn't be beat in a weekend, or even 17 years, I still have yet to beat Beamrider, it was made in 1985 by one dude.

I count myself as an experienced FPSer, even if nowhere close to being elite.

I completed Deus Ex 2 in about a week and Far Cry in about a week and a half's worth of admittedly non-steady play, even though I played nothing else during those time periods, and yet I have met many FPSers who I also count as experienced and are nowhere near my own level of skill.

Doom 3 just as all games before it will provide varying levels of challenge to different people. Don't take the "weekend" estimation too closely to heart.

It all depends on what skill you play it on.
In hard it would probably take a long time.

hell, i beat Max Payne 2 in 9 hours. 9 hours straight in one day hehe. far cry took me i cant remember, but maybe like 12, thats a rough estimation

I really woulnd't say it's depressing, for a game designer, the games they make are like artwork to them, and just because someone beats the game, doesn't mean it is lost forever and can never be played again. Not to mention all the money the game will make and the number of people who will play it. Kindof like a music artist spending hours and hours a day to write, compose, and then record a 2 minute song.

On the topic of skill level, I think the whole "choose your skill level" thing in general is a bad system. It should be up to the game itself, not the player, to determine how skilled they are. The more skilled the player, the better areas they get to visit, or something along those lines. There really hasn't been an adequate replacement for the point system.

I've never cared about game lenght that much. If there is enough fun in just shooting monsters, I won't care if it'll take two days for me to beat. As long as it isn't as short as Blue Shift...

AndrewB said:

On the topic of skill level, I think the whole "choose your skill level" thing in general is a bad system.

That depends. I think it's perfect in Doom.

In the live interview with ign at E3, ID said it will take around 30-40 hours to complete the game.

I find it hard to argue with a live interview, but still-- you can't spell "ignorant" without IGN.

I'd say someone who isn't interested in the visuals or enjoying the story and whatnot could finish it in a day. That would be <18 hours. Of course, I won't be playing it that way. With all that extra exploration involved, I can't see how you couldn't extend your playing time to over 40 hours. And of course there'll come a time when some stupid puzzle or something gets in the way and we have to come to Doomworld...

Ah, fuck it. It's 3AM, I'm going to stop pretending I have a point to make and go to bed.

Goat said:

far cry took me maybe like 12

WOW. I only have time to play maybe 1 hour a day. And it is taking me lets say 20 hours allready and i'm only half way. I call myself an experienced FPS-er. But i don't cheat and use the savepoint system and I don't play on Easy(not implying that you do). I will play DOOM3 at the one below the hardest diffuculty setting. It must be enjoyable as well.

Anybody who will try the hardest difficulty setting, when playing DOOM3 for the first time?

My first play-through was on medium with AI-adjust (dunno what that affects, personally).

I just finished up another run on medium, and I'm gonna try challenging in a couple of days when I'm done with my semester.

Arioch said:

medium AI-adjust (dunno what that affects, personally)

It means that if you fuck-up the AI will downgrade itself to easy. It will never upgrade to better AI.

Tetzlaff said:
They are not Legend Entertainment and the game is not Unreal2. id´s leveldesign has never been simplistic and straight-forward.

Heh.

that an experienced fps player could finish it in one weekend. How much hours of that weekend they do not say, but that would imply an average probably 20 hours...

Sanjay

Seeing that while playing the alpha I had to stop every once in a while because sometimes I was almost too scared because of strange noises coming from around the corner, I'll play it considerably longer than elite players. I'll probably take even longer since I usually take my time to enjoy the scenery as well.

Mordeth said:

Heh.

What? I´m serious (but I´m not talking about the visuals, only about the level layout and flow of id´s SP maps).

It has taken me like 35 minutes at the minimum to find all 100% of the stuff in the levels of doom. sure if you run through and dont enjoy the game then sure it would only take a little bit of time. A game is really what you make of it. I have beaten Doom2 in like a 3 hours with cheats so it is just how much you want to have a good game and not ruin it.

Actually Carmack said in a plan file that the game would be around 25 - 30 hours. They made the decision to make the game length that well...length bassed on the idea that the market is leaning towards shorter games. But that is probably without exploring like said earlier. When I find the plan file I will put up a link.

The idea that the market is leaning towards shorter games is bullshit IMO. Every game that is not long enough get´s critized for this in the reviews. Where does the idea come from that people would like short games?

Tetzlaff said:

The idea that the market is leaning towards shorter games is bullshit IMO. Every game that is not long enough get´s critized for this in the reviews. Where does the idea come from that people would like short games?

It's just a lie perpetuated by developers. I've never heard anyone complain about a good game being too long.