Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tormentor667

[Ideas] HowTo?

I'm just interested:

- What do you do to get some new ideas for your maps?
- How do you develop new scenarios?
- How to you motivate your creativity?

My inspiration comes from everywhere...books, films, games, places etc. and at any time - even a trip out somewhere can give a little spark of inspiration, which often leads to more ideas and eventually something concrete is formed.

(which happened to me not long ago - a trip to a stately home led to 2 maps and a cool start and finish being mentally formed for my future Hexen project. All from looking at a single picture, too)

Of course a strong imagination and desire to do something different comes in rather handy...

Fredrik said:

Try every possible combination until something decent comes out.

Rubix Logic!

Most of my ideas are randomly coherent and coherently random.

Often i get ideas from thinking about places i have been, i rarely get inspiration while i am at places (st michael's mount being an exception, though i havent made a map of it yet), i later half-remember the layout of the place and cool-ify it, and make that into a map, then alter things to make it techbase/hellish (For instance map 3 of Ultimate hell is based on my old college, complete with 3D bridges over the main corridoor, an area of map 2 is based on Ely swimming pool, the rest of it is based on what i imagine one of the alpha maps to be like after reading a single line about it heh)

I develop my ideas generally by starting to create a 'more-or-less' accurate representation of the area to start with, then add in sections that arent there in real life..for instance in the 'my college' map, i added a small room where there is really a courtyard in real life, and shrank the courtyard and removed a section of it so that it is ..not a courtyard. For the 'alpha-based' map it said that "sections of the level we know and love are stuck on the outside of a wheel-like structure", well i copied sections of the original crappy level and stuck them to the outside of a wheel-like structure, then added all new sections in the middle of it like a swimming pool, stairs and a railway station, then i raised up most of the old sections so they where on the second floor above the wheel structure, and added 3D bridges over it to get to them

How do i get motivation to work on maps?..er..i dont...thats why i'm talking about half-finished ones here

I avoid ripware and cheap solutions; that keeps me motivated, as I have to resort to my own skills or to the fresh contributions of other people, as opposed to adapting to existing crap and trying to impress people with what I barely did.

My ideas come from the shit im learning about in architecture school. (composition, space, blah, blah, blah)