Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

brood X

do any of you happen to live in an area where these insects will be emrging? well i do, even the normal yearly ones are bad. i cant imagine how bad this will be. these things are loud and big. atleast it is only for 2 weeks.
around here they expect
50-100 cicadas for every square yard!

We get some here. But you barely ever see them. Not like some of the overpopulation horror stories I've heard about other places.

When I was small I used to collect their husks. They were all over the place.

Mmm cicadas. Giant flies. They hibernate inside trees for 17 years then invade millions at a time. What lovely fun.

Here in Australia about once every few years millions of milipedes come out. You put em in buckets and throw em out.
They're annoying as well, specially when you're out barefoot. ;)

I don't even know what these bugs are...

Biggest thing we have here are probably water beetles.. or june bugs.

Cicadas rule.

They're 1"-2" (in North America, anyway), have beautiful patterns over their body and wings, and make a huge racket in the summer. And they suck tree sap.

And speaking of beauty, I don't think there's anything more beautiful than a cicada newly out of the husk, wings and exoskeleton yet to fully harden. The colors are simply magnificent.

its gonna get warmn in 2 days, back into 80's. chances are that is when they will come out.

yea they are fairly colorful. a shinny green. some even got orange and red.

they are about 2" long, very large for this area. they will be everywhere. if you think june bugs or japenese beatles are bad... these are worse. however they dont cause any large scale destruction.

Today I walked out into my backyard to discover that 9 or so cicadas were on my house. I freaking hate bugs

Ah the old days when I lived in Mt. Isa. We used to get locus pelages once a year. What made it fun was my hyper active puppy-dog! I'd throw a ball at where locus where sitting, causing them to take flight and the dog would try to eat them. He’s usually get about 5 before they flew off. One day the dog figured out that he could get them to fly off just buy running around, so every time I’d go out side, he’d charge down the yard and clouds of the bloody things would rise up.

Good times. Good times.

Arioch said:

want large-scale destruction? two words:

<font size=72>gypsy moths</font>

Damn, I was going to mention them. We've currently got a plague of them going on. I havent seen the caterpillers in a day or two, so I think they've gone into their pupal state. I guess we'll be seeing swarms of moths here in a week or two. I hope it was nothing like a couple years ago, when there were so many that there were absolute clouds of them. I remember going to this punk club/skate park with a friend and while we were stadning outside, we could see a huge swarm all over the lights of a nearby car lot. Durning the day, they were all over the sides of everyone's houses, sleeping.

Anyway, the current swarm has decimated out cherry tree, the cherry tree across the street, and our flower bush outside. I hope that bush survives. It still has about half it's leaves so I guess it's fine.

Oh yeah, and I live on the side of the Rocky Mountains that isn't getting cicadas this year. :P