Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dutch Doomer

great wad?

what would an wad have to offer to be classified as an great wad.
im just wondering what you guys like in a wad, and of course what you don't like.
you see i build wads too but i don't know if im as good as i think i am.

- impressive architecture
- outstanding connectivity
- perfect thing placement
- excellent use of textures
- flawless texture alignment

Not to forget:
- playability. Unless, it's a joke wad, which doesn't nessecarily requires this, though this should be pointed out in the text file then.
- performance. It's rediculous, having such an old game requiring much more power than Unreal or Half-Life just due to some excessive thing placements or overdone scripting. Just because the limits are removed does not mean, your level mustn't run on anything slower than 4 GHz.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Not to forget:
- playability.

I think when boris mentioned connectivity and thing placement, he more or less covered that, as these are key gameplay ingredients. At least, I don't recall too many maps with "outstanding connectivity" and "perfect thing placement" that had bad playabilty. :)

LogicDeLuxe said:

- performance. It's rediculous, having such an old game requiring much more power than Unreal or Half-Life just due to some excessive thing placements or overdone scripting. Just because the limits are removed does not mean, your level mustn't run on anything slower than 4 GHz.

I agree.

It has to be for Vanilla DOOM, or BOOM, tops.

Then why do you think ZDoom is so popular in this doom editing scene? I disagree with you. Although a map can be good when it is made for standard Doom/Boom, it doesnt mean that it cannot be good when it is made for another engine. With a few exceptions, the engine doesnt really matter and good map quality is definitely not restricted to standard Doom/Boom.

• powerful æsthetics
  • original details, avoid copy and paste crap, once you've seen a detail once you don't need to see it again
  • nonsymmetrical, somewhat chaotic design
  • nonlinear design, but not to the point of complete confusion
  • good gameplay balance
  • a consistent texture scheme, or one that flows nicely from one area to another
  • ORIGINALITY is the real overall key for me, be experimental

sargebaldy said:

nonsymmetrical

It depends strongly on what the map is all about, I would say. Eternal is great and there are some maps featuring a lot symetrical stuff. Sure, if you're building some mountains or caves for example, they really shouldn't symetrical at all.

dutch devill said:

then i am good thanks boris

While it's good you're confident of your abilities, it may be wise to allow others to critique your work.

LogicDeLuxe said:

It depends strongly on what the map is all about, I would say. Eternal is great and there are some maps featuring a lot symetrical stuff. Sure, if you're building some mountains or caves for example, they really shouldn't symetrical at all.

i just find symmetrical boring and repetitive, kind of goes along with my comment on copy&paste detail.

youre wright mancubus II i would love too, but i don't know where to start.
i have some good wads, can you give me some advice how i place them on the internet.

manny thanks if you reply.

You could make a temporary account on Geocities, Freewebs, etc. (If you so desire), or you could send them to the /incoming directory on archives.3dgamers.com via an FTP client. Both are decent ways of receiving feedback...good or bad.

how do you do that, i dont know.
i tried 'archives.3dgamers.com' but i dont know where to start when i am there.

please please please need some more info thanks.

Connect to archives.3dgamers.com using an FTP client (not your web browser)
Change to the /pub/idgames/incoming/ folder.
Upload your wad (and text file) there.

Just in case Ultimate DooMer's concise instructions aren't sufficient, there are more details here (user-friendly, and note the DOS method if all else fails) and the official version is here (includes instructions on what is and what isn't allowed). You'll also need to use the template for your text-file.

Good atmosphere, nice lighting, plenty of detail, but not too much, nice layout, good thing placement

boris said:

- impressive architecture
- outstanding connectivity
- perfect thing placement
- excellent use of textures
- flawless texture alignment

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Connect to archives.3dgamers.com using an FTP client (not your web browser)

I'm lazy and I used Iexplorer to upload files several times.

A good map needs to feel original, which at times can be hard to do. Many people get ideas from other maps. Found out who you are as a mapper and what tendencies you follow; then build on them. From that, your maps will have their own style; your style.
It has to flow well, there shouldn't be akward moments when you are playing it. I don't know if it is the same for everybody, but I can tell if I map is good or not from how it flows. Experience will give you an edge on this.

I think layout will make or break a map like others here. Flow is like the same thing as map layout. A bunch of uber-detailed compartments stuck together by hallways doesn't make a map good. A sense of continuity and progression in the level is where it's at.

I also agree with music being important. The right song can make a map very memorable, like cchest map25 for example.

thanks guys for your help, i will start uploading them.
if these wads are correctly uploaded can you get them from this website?,or an other one im just wondering where they will end up.

p.s. thanks thanks thanks.

Once you have successfully uploaded your wads, then, assuming they are approved by Ty Halderman, they will end up in the Doom Community Archive. The master archive is at ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames and there are several mirror sites (both FTP and HTTP). People will also be able to find your wads using the idgames database here at Doomworld. Note that Ty has just gone on vacation, so it might be about a week until he is able to approve any uploads.

What sort of problems have you had when trying to upload? What method have you been using. Note the DOS method that I mentioned above - if you follow the step-by-step instructions, there's really no way that can fail (uh, as long as you know how to bring up a Command Prompt :p ).

The DOS prompt/Command Prompt method works fine in XP. As do other primitive DOS-based internet commands like "PING" and "FINGER".

heh, the 'DOS prompt' in XP/2000 isn't DOS at all, it's just a command line shell. Likewise, commands like 'ftp', 'finger', 'ping', 'tracert' and so on are native windows programs (console programs) and have nothing to do with DOS at all.