Find results in...
Dron

Quake and Quake 2

Quake or Quake II?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Quake or Quake II?

• Quake
    • Quake II

Which game do you think is better "Quake" or "Quake 2"? After thinking long and hard IMO Quake wins by a short thread.

I found Quake 2 really dull. Walking back and forth between hubs with few enemies to kill wasnt much fun at all. So I vote quake 1.

Quake 2 is one of the best FPSes of all time. It brings back so many great memories.

Hard to say. Neither really captivated me, but I didn't dislike them, and I don't have any strong criticisms of either of them. I played both games through just once (and enjoyed them, but didn't feel the need to replay them or seek out custom levels).

I felt Quake 2 featured nice enhancements over Quake in terms of graphics and concepts (as you'd expect), but without doing anything truly revolutionary.

So for me, it's a dead heat.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Quake 1 has the gameplay, Quake 2 has the looks. Tough one to call, so I say keep them together.

Oh shit. I forgot to put a "both" option. Everytime I make a poll I forget some options funny eh?

well, I suck at both... but I'm much better at Q2, so Q2.
but I could also watch Milton and Mrlame play checkers and be captivated, so 1 vote for Quake too. :)

Quake for many reasons, the biggest one is, of course, Team Fortress.

Quake 2 has much smoother multi-player, where you can develop more tactics than just run & gun (camping was perfected with the rail-gun!). I'm a sucker for dreary, atmospheric games.. PS Doom, Nightmare Creatures.. Quake 1 has my vote, I was kinda hoping Q4 would be a sequil to that storyline, bah.

I never really did like the first Quake's atmosphere much, and also didn't like Quake 2 at all 'till just recently. But after playing both, I'm more of a Quake2 fan. Quake2 was the first game I played Instagib on, and being that Instagib is the only form of online FPS play I do (minus DM in Doom), that memory also contributes to my love for Quake2. That and I generally focus on single-player more anymore.

If you say Quake 2 was dull then try a harder difficulty setting.

I didn't care much for Quake, but Quake 2 just didn't offer anything original at all. Well, except the railgun and god I hate that damn thing. So Quake it is.

ravage said:

If you say Quake 2 was dull then try a harder difficulty setting.

On the hardest setting, a plastic spoon was less dull.

Yeah, Quake 2 must be the easiest FPS I've played, especially the endboss since at that point you'll probably have 6 quad damages and 5 invulnerabilities stored up.

sargebaldy said:

Yeah, Quake 2 must be the easiest FPS I've played, especially the endboss since at that point you'll probably have 6 quad damages and 5 invulnerabilities stored up.

That's the problem with inventory. I ran into the same situation playing Heretic or Hexen. You can store so much goodies that the last level will be the easiest one of all.

It wasn't as big an issue with Heretic and Hexen since they smartly decided to limit you in what you could carry on to the next map.

sargebaldy said:

It wasn't as big an issue with Heretic and Hexen since they smartly decided to limit you in what you could carry on to the next map.

???

In Heretic, they did (only one of each item could be carried to the next level). Quake 2 had a limit on top skill too (only one of each item at a time, IIRC).

I'm suprised so many people said they like Quake 2. I thought I was the only one who liked it. Whenever I mention the game, I get attacked by six other people who say I'm retarded for liking it or something.

Quake because of its superior theme and entertaining hardcore simplicity (it spawned the SDA, even.) Quake II is ruined (relatively speaking) by sporting a washed out DOOM-like theme, and because of added realistic elements that, overall, make it less convincing and less fun.

Danarchy said:

I'm suprised so many people said they like Quake 2. I thought I was the only one who liked it. Whenever I mention the game, I get attacked by six other people who say I'm retarded for liking it or something.

I'm surprised so many people think Quake 2's gameplay is more dull than Quake's.

Yeah, I like Quake 2 better, much better. It has cooler weapons (though I admit that I dislike the railgun in all game modes), more variety in the environment (Quake got boring fast because of lacking variety in the environments), it has a sort of "ingame storyline" due to mission objectives, which alongside the distant battle sounds and spacecraft flying overhead provide a really sweet war atmosphere and your eyes aren't constantly assaulted by brown shit (its dominant colour, orange, is nowhere near as dominant).

Even the multiplayer is better, because Quake's is only fun if you get the rocket launcher, plus killing opponents in Quake 2 feels a lot meatier and satisfying imo.

Quake's enemies, however, are more interesting and memorable, but the weapons you have suck (except for perhaps the rocket launcher and grenade launcher).

Edit: I can understand why someone can like Quake 1 better than Quake 2 (because Quake 2 does have its flaws and it's not scary), what I don't get is that people think Quake 2 is more dull.

At times the inventory system seems like a good idea, except when considering the all powerful artifacts like invincibility and increased damage... Hexen and Hexen 2 puts this situation in perspective when you arrive at the end of the game expecting to actually need all 10+ invincibility artifacts you had stored up. ;)

I used to say Quake2 had the better single player while Quake1 had the better multiplayer... I don't believe that anymore, since Quake1 is far more suited for speedrunning and is simply a faster single player game overall, even if it was disappointing on some level. There's some quality addons available as well, like the mission packs, Seal of Nehahra, Rapture, Beyond Belief, Zerstorer, OUM, Soul of Evil, etc.

EDIT: to kill any misunderstandings, I do like Quake2 and think it's a solid gaming experience, I just have another preference to it. :)