Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Master Levels WADs? I can't find the disc anywhere to buy...and since they originally were custom levels found on the internet, I figured that they could still be circulating around out there somewhere. I looked through a lotta different archives and sites and couldn't find any. Does anyone know where they are? If they're even out there at all...

Master Levels is like Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (for Hexen), it only has levels, but levels that are not available (at least not in a legal way) in the internet for free, the only diference is that they are designed by authors selected from the comunity.
The cd also includes a poster (a really cool one), and Maximum DOOM, a collection of "over 3000 levels" (less that 2000 wads) from the internet, all of them can be downloaded for free, and just a few have really good quality (still the gameplay and nostalgic feel is there).

The Master Levels, imo are better than the maps of DOOM 2, they don't have the architecture of the best maps of today, but they have a nice gameplay, they look good and play very good.
Overall, is a nice package I bought years ago, and sometimes I still play them and Maximum DOOM.
If you consider yourself a doomer, you'll not repent if you buy it (sorry, I don't know where can you do it).

Just to clarify: the Master Levels were created specifically for this product (or at least had not been previously released - see the bottom of the page), and were not made available for free on the Internet either before or afterwards. Most of the text-files include statements of the type "This wad is the property of Id software and may not be distributed" (the wording varies), while Sverre's and Dr Sleep's simply lack any text permitting distribution.

The CD also included (as Vegeta says) a bunch of levels - "Maximum Doom" - that were available for free online. In this thread I made some comments about Maximum Doom, including how to access from the Mac disk if you have the id Anthology.

The Un-Official Master Levels for DOOM II FAQ by Henrik Larsen, courtesy of the Internet Archive.

Most of them is rather average. Just plain maps withs some action, nothing fancy though. I couldn't truly tell if there was a map I really liked. I think There wasn't. So if you want to get them - get them for collection sake. If you're looking for some really good WADs, they're not as worth as many, many, many others in the archive.

Actually, the PSX Version of the Master Levels was much much better (1st episode of PSX Final Doom). Possibly due to the uber-scary and atmospheric music and pretty coloured lighting.
Attack had awesome music, but Geryon was more atmospheric with it's beatiful night sky.

Nmn said:

Actually, the PSX Version of the Master Levels was much much better

Is there any way, I could convert them to my PC? I noticed, the PSX version uses a stange wad file format where the indivudual lumps are compressed.

i have got these wads on my harddisk,it has all the wads mentioned above.
they came with an disk called 'maximum doom' this was part of an special offer doom1,doom2 and maximum doom.
these wads where later used in psx doom version.

this are the ones:

attack,canyon,catwalk,combine,fistula,garrison,manor,paradox,subspace,subterra,ttrap,virgil,minos,bloodsea,mephisto,nessus,geryon,vesperas,blacktwr,teeth.
p.s. not every level was used in psx doom.