Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

Legacy water problem

I'm making a map for a megawad that started out as a vanilla-only project, but now is supposedly to use legacy features. By this time I had already done some fake water in a passage (the kind of fake water that's made with self-refrencing lines). When I heard it was going to be a legacy wad, I deleted the self-refrencing sector and instead created a dummy sector to fill the sector with legacy-created water. When I play the level, the water LOOKS fine... but when I get in, I fall to the deepest portion of the pit and hear a splash. I can't swim out; I just jump and hear another splash when I land.

I checked out this wad versus a wad I made a while back with the same effect. Everything is the same. It's like this:

Sector A: -64, 72, tag 6
Sector B: (Dummy sector) -64, -8, no tag
One of the lines in sector B: Type 301, tag 6

Anyone else had this problem before? I keep thinking I forgot something, but it's EXACTLY the same as in my other wad.

Do not give the target sector the FWATER1 flat for its floor.

Huh... that's strange. Why does that only happen with the FWATER flats? I guess I can't have a water-looking effect painted on the floor anymore, but I guess if I color the sector, it doesn't much matter. Thanks.

One more thing. I'm also working on another level for that same wad, and there's a HOM in the sky that I can't explain. I just started on this one and it's really small, so I uploaded it here. It's map11. I think it's just Legacy being buggy again, but I wanted to ask first to make sure. To see it, go to the end of the first hallway and lower the gravity, then jump.

netnomad312 said:

Huh... that's strange. Why does that only happen with the FWATER flats? I guess I can't have a water-looking effect painted on the floor anymore, but I guess if I color the sector, it doesn't much matter. Thanks.

Because it's Legacy.

Blame the retarded implementation of terrain types in Legacy for this. FWATER is hard coded (yuck!) to be water terrain, no matter how the texture actually looks. What's worse, it overrides any 3D-floor terrain effects!

Frankly, this is one of the most pathetic bugs I have ever seen reported for a source port. How can something like this ever happen... :-(

Are you saying I can't put a 3d sector above that water sector of mine? I fixed it though, by changing the FWATER back to SLIME13 (what I was using)... I guess that means I can use 3d sectors, right?

EDIT: Hah, of course it does. I recall now a level that I never released (it was a video game tribute that I made just for the sake of making it) which had such water... you just have to have the dummy sector's flats be both FWATER you get the same basic visual effect, but no bug. And I had bridges floating above the water too, so that does work.

Can anyone tell me the source of the HOM in that other wad I linked to, or is it just Legacy being... well, good old buggy Legacy again?

Graf Zahl said:

Because it's Legacy.

Blame the retarded implementation of terrain types in Legacy for this. FWATER is hard coded (yuck!) to be water terrain, no matter how the texture actually looks. What's worse, it overrides any 3D-floor terrain effects!

Frankly, this is one of the most pathetic bugs I have ever seen reported for a source port. How can something like this ever happen... :-(

Yes it is retarded - I didn't know it overrode any 3d floor effects though. The Legacy Team should really start using sf.net's bugtracker properly :/

I did notice it not only effected the player but other things as well. Make a map with a large amount of 3d water, if you shoot a rocket into it, you hear about 4-6 splashes, one for the rocket, one or more splashes for the smoke sprites - depending on the angle (implement a particle system!) and then repeat for when it hit's the bottom of the water.

netnomad: There's a bug with using sky's in software mode - but work fine in opengl. I'll download that wad tonight and have a look.

Alot of these bugs, however, are going to be gone with the new c++ version of Legacy, which will also have a new renderer.

Planky said:

Alot of these bugs, however, are going to be gone with the new c++ version of Legacy, which will also have a new renderer.

Which will be released in another 5 years.

MasterOFDeath said:

I don't get it, why didn't the Legacy team just make it C++ in the first place?

Doom was written in C. So all source ports also started in C and not all of them have converted their source to C++.

There are even some which are still C, like PrBoom or Eternity.