Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

DM Maps for Doom3

Personally I'd love to see the old Dwango maps done for Doom 3. Especially the Danzig maps, those were absolutely wonderful.

Myself, I'd like to do a general new rendition of E1M4 from Ultimate Doom, since it has the size and spacious rooms to accomodate the claustrophobic atmosphere and fast pace of the new game. Not to mention, I could also re-position the monsters to have less proximity to each other to optimize the performance, whereas in a map like E1M1 it would be a little more tricky (though possible).

Anyone else got a thought on these maps?

P.S: Although the spacious rooms and claustrophobia may not go together well, the corridor area in E1M4 would be great for sneak attacks while some of the larger areas could provide some great pursuing action otherwise.

Fast paced? From what I've read about Doom3 the impression I get it will be much slower than the previous Dooms and more of a sneak around and hide in the shadows type DM.

Highlander

I think Doom 3 needs a totally new style of design in its deathmatch maps.

If you try to remake old favourites, chances are you'll have to alter a lot of things to be successful. If you do them faithfully, they're bound to suck.

Generally, Doom 3 has a very slow pace (where did you get the idea that it's fast paced?), the design of the engine is much more fit for a sneaky type of dm so to make good dm maps for it, you need to keep the sneaky aspect in mind.

People will make mods in the future. Probably some map makers will add crazy ass light so it'll feel like the original.

Also you don't have to go at a slow pace in DM. You could go fast pace, but you're bound to die faster.

Nunez said:

Also you don't have to go at a slow pace in DM. You could go fast pace, but you're bound to die faster.

Fast pace in Doom 3 = a lot of really annoyed people because the per-poly hit detection makes it really hard to hit opponents.

Just my $0.02

Whoops. Wrong word.

Obviously anything I did would be re-sized and re-scaled, but it would provide for some fun maps. I would never really make e1m4 with the same dimensions taken exactly from the original. But if I did do one, that'd be it.

cadaver said:

they are speeding the pace up in multiplayer.

Compared to the single player mode yes, but Quakecon impressions of the Doom 3 dm made it clear that it was still pretty slow for a dm game.

In my opinion Doom3 deathmatch won´t be that different from the deathmtach of the Quake series, despite the sneaky aspects that come with the lighting engine. If the rules are still deathmatch (that is immediate respawn after being killed, roam the map to collect weapons, ammo, armor, being able to restore your health by picking up medkits), the gameplay won´t change that much, and because of this a good deathmatch layout from another game can provide a good layout for Doom3 DM, if the scaling etc is made from scratch.

If they want to incorporate the "hide in the dark" features in a more substantial way, they would need to include something like round-based respawn rules and more slow-paced tactical game modes (as opposed to the fast action skill oriented deathmatch rules).

This is probably the wrong place to post this question, but I was unsure where the correct place is.

Is deathmatch and the other game types for Doom3 only available for online play?, or is there someway to play offline against bots like in UT2004?

So once you finish the Single Player mode, that's it? Nothing more to play? That's pretty shitty if you ask me, I expected more from a FPS game of this caliber. :mad:

Or am I jumping to conclusions?, and there is more?(other then online play I mean) :???:

By the way, how do you activate smilies?

you play a game. And when is over, is over man. You want more? Make a level, ID give to you an editor to make whatever you want.

You dont want to make it? Then wait. Doom3 is a very new game.

And no smilies here! ;)

After you've beaten the game you can:

-Play online
-Mod the game
-Play mods for the game
-Replay the game :P

I'm personally big on modding and playing mods, so to me there's still plenty of value left after beating the game.

Smilies have always been deactivated on Doomworld. There is no way to activate them.

Edit: Moved to doom3 multiplayer forum.

Naitgoulf: Not completely true, in UT2003 & UT2004 after you beat the single player game you can play all the Instant Action matches you like in Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Onslaught etc. So a practice option where you fight bots of demons or what have you would have been nice. As to modding, it would be nice to do stuff like that, but I neither have the know how or the desire to do that. Besides it's limited to online use, and I rarely have the time to mess about with online play, that and it would have to be free as I cannot afford multiplayer fees.

Amaster: You make valid points, there is still value replaying if I increase the difficulty level and whatnot. Also there is plenty of places in the game that I did not get to, so that helps. I have no talent for modding, nor the time to be honest. That's why I like UT's Instant action games, I don't have to look around for a game, I can just play one when I have the time.

As to smilies, I was just asking as there is a pop-up box with various smilies on one of the boards pages(don't recall if it's the reply form or in member options.) I am new to DoomWorld so did not know that they were always disabled.

Re: Doom 1&2 as well as the early iterations of Quake, will they play okay on a P4 box? UT1999 the original Unreal Tournament has crappy FPS on my system even though UT2003, UT2004, Painkiller, and Doom3 all play just fine on it. I don't have that great a system, but it is sufficient to enjoy most games, and I upgrade it when time and money allow.

P4 2.4Ghz (533Mhz fsb)
640MB DDR RAM
240GB Hard Drives(over three drives)
GeForce3 Ti 200 64MB (latest forceware drivers and Artic Cooler heatsink)
DVD & CD burners

Redjack said:

So once you finish the Single Player mode, that's it? Nothing more to play? That's pretty shitty if you ask me, I expected more from a FPS game of this caliber. :mad:

yep, and considering the SDK still isnt out theres no mods

if the single player had any replay value it would be ok, but it doesnt

wouldnt matter too much if there were bots anyway, the maps that ship with the game suck... horribly and theres only 5 of them (only 4 are orgiginal)