Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jpez1432

VBDoom

VBDoom is a new source port coded completly in VB5 with no additional resources.... point being VB can do what all other programming languages can do, right now it loads the levels and whatnot, if anyone could help with the rendering engine reply to this post... expect a release soon.... oh ya, mainly its gonna be vanilla doom except with a few tweaks and of course some DM, possibly bots.

-James Pezold
-Jpez1432

Do you have a website or screenshots of it in action or anything?

Nope, all of the code was written 100% by me with the help of the doom specs... I don't have a website but once I get something going I will be sure to post it.

-James Pezold
-Jpez1432
-Jpezold@mail.win.org

Actually, I don't see a reason for this. However, since your at it, you should consider making it bsp free like the Build Engine which makes a lot environment morphing features possible as well as overlaping sectors.

And of course, when it's newly written from scratch, it can't be a source "port". It's simply a new engine.

Btw., I remember Zambony, which was just a render engine for Doom, but no gameplay implemented. It uses the bsp tree, but it wasn't very accurate. It's still somewhere in the archive, I think.

What can it do as of right now? And is it at all fast? I would think something purely in vb would tend to not be as fast as writing something in C, but I'm no programmer...

Mancubus II said:

What can it do as of right now? And is it at all fast? I would think something purely in vb would tend to not be as fast as writing something in C, but I'm no programmer...

Yes, but how fast does it have to be?

Doom's target system was a 386/486 at around 33MHz, and it ran at 35Hz cycles.

As of right now it walks the bsp tree and does frustum culling... as well as flat shaded, 180Fps without hardware acceleration... texture loaded, just not implemented, if anyone has suggestions or would like to help with the rendering engine and help would be appreciated. Technically I guess its not a port, just a new engine. Probably release a version in a week or so, still working on collision detection as well as switches and all that crap. If anyone would like to help reply.

-James Pezold
-Jpez1432
-Jpezold@mail.win.org

VB is just as fast as C.

Not as in creating a GUI, but as in rendering a scene or whatnot. I found some VB stats on microsoft.com saying it is 95% as fast as C, being how VB was written in C++. All I know is it can do everything that C can do, OpenGL, DirectX, Glide, audio. everything. Just wait till I release VBDoom before you critize VB. The only 2 main reasons why I am doing this is to prove that VB can do it, being my native programming language, as well as a learning experience. I have already written the openGL engine for it which uses the GLbsp but I don't think I am gonna include that. I just want to make a 100% vanilla doom engine, maybe a enhanched version later on, all that extra crap, mouse look, opengl. lighting and whatnot.

Jpez1432 said:

Not as in creating a GUI, but as in rendering a scene or whatnot. I found some VB stats on microsoft.com saying it is 95% as fast as C, being how VB was written in C++. All I know is it can do everything that C can do, OpenGL, DirectX, Glide, audio. everything.

Of course VB is 95% as fast as C when all it does is calling system functions. When it has to do internal calculations it will look differently. Besides, Microsoft is not a trustworthy source of information for things like this.

How can you say Microsoft isn't a valid resource, who do think wrote VC++ and VB? Think again.

Jpez1432 said:

How can you say Microsoft isn't a valid resource, who do think wrote VC++ and VB? Think again.

For exactly that reason. They're biased. Microsoft wrote it, and they sell it so obviously they're going to say it's great.

Besides, regardless of how much slower the execution speed is, why on earth would you want to use such an awful language anyway?

Dude, why is VB such an awful language. its a RAD tool, rapid application development, there are more programmers and lines of code written in VB then any other language out there, just wait until a release of VBDoom is out and then if you don't find it satisfying we can debate it longer...

I am sorry for being so unaware and that if I distract from topic, may I ask what VB is and how it is like and jazz? Thanks. :D

Fraggle said:

why on earth would you want to use such an awful language anyway?

For the hell of it... because he wants to see if it's possible... for the same reason certain people decide to make source ports. Ones which were made through hundreds of man-hours without incentive.

Oh fun :D now the VB vs (V)C++ flame wars come to this forum as well. Believe me or not, I have some nice experience in both VB and C/C++ and its not worth the flamewar. Each language (and that also counts for other languages beside VB and C/C++) is better in a different area. VB is indeed slower on, for example, memory accessing than C/C++. But who ever said you are restricted to using one language only? I use them both. Make a DLL where you put your C/C++ speed-optimized code in and do the other things in VB. I call it Best Of Both Worlds.

Anyway, Jpez1432; Im not going to code anything for you, that aint my project. But if you have a question, feel free to email me. Show us when you have something worthy to show. Although I doubt it will be close to the original doom, its an interesting attempt to build Doom from the ground up.

Nah, fraggle's right; VB is an awful language. Its redeeming features are that you only need to click around to create GUIs and that you have access to lots of libraries.

Sounds cool; porting the game yet not the code. More power to DOOM.

fraggle said:
Besides, regardless of how much slower the execution speed is, why on earth would you want to use such an awful language anyway?

He had clearly answered this already saying it's his language of choice and so on.

Plus, who cares if it's the "best language" or whatever... that's obviously not the point of the project, except in showing it's quite possible.

Anyway, to imply the pointlessness of such a project and at the same time spend hours upon hours of activity in relation to our old game, making überdetailed wads, appending extraneous features to the code, debating about impse or DOOM 3's yet inexistent gameplay, and whatnot, is a hilarious combination.

From personal experience I find that most VB applications are poorly coded (prone to crashes) and very slow compared to those in C or C++. Granted there are poorly coded C/++ programs too, but it seems to me that VB allows a novice programmer to make something complex enough that, were it being done in C/++, he would need to be an expert to do the same thing. So now you have a novice making something that he's really not experienced enough to do (yet still capable of since VB makes it easier than C/++)... and that's why (I think) a good deal of VB programs suck.

btw, CodeImp, DB in not one of those programs :)

Jpez1432 said:

...there are more programmers and lines of code written in VB then any other language out there...

I thought that was C. C has been around longer hasn't it? Oh well, good luck on the VB engine.

Little Faith said:

/me waits for Javadoom.

Java DOOMclone

WARNING: This free game has become very popular online. Translation: get your ad-blocker ready.