Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marky

Activation of ambient sound (ZDoom)

Hi!
I want to have an ambient sound in my ZDoom wad.
It works fine.
But now I read, that it's possible to activate the sound by a linedef action (without script, doom in doom format).

Can someone tell me the corresponding linedef action number (W1 - activate sound thing)? I can't find it.

Is there a list of all linedef action numbers somewhere on the net?
Doombuilder hasn't all linedef actions in it's list.

Thanks for help.

Marky

Change your game type in doom builder to ZDOOM(Doom in Hexen format).
I think you'll be surprised at what you've been missing.

You'll need to point it to a Doom 2 IWAD that has been converted to hexen format I think. Use zwadconv which is somewhere on the zdoom website, you'll have to wait for somebody else who knows.

Anyway, if you want a ambient sound to be off, mark it as dormant. To activate it, there's a special somewhere that's Thing_Activate. That's what you use.

Epyo said:

You'll need to point it to a Doom 2 IWAD that has been converted to hexen format I think.

There is absolutely no reason to do this. Though, you should map in hexen format, that's right.
Most of what you need to know can be found here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/

LogicDeLuxe said:

There is absolutely no reason to do this.

Except that all level editors require an IWAD in the same format as the level you're editing, so it's actually quite necessary.

Yes, but I don't want to learn scripting at the moment, because I don't have the time.
People in this and other forums wrote, that the activation of an ambient sound (thing 14001) is possible with a normal linedef action. I searched for hours in the Wiki but found only scripts. There too, I find no list of all possible linedef actions in ZDoom, Doom in Doom.

Does somebody know the action number? Perhaps it's possible to calculate it?

marky said:

Yes, but I don't want to learn scripting at the moment, because I don't have the time.
People in this and other forums wrote, that the activation of an ambient sound (thing 14001) is possible with a normal linedef action. I searched for hours in the Wiki but found only scripts. There too, I find no list of all possible linedef actions in ZDoom, Doom in Doom.

Does somebody know the action number? Perhaps it's possible to calculate it?

There is none. If you want to (de)activate an ambient sound you have to use Hexen format. But you don't have to use scripts. The activation function is a normal linedef type - number #130 (but again: only in Hexen format!) If you convert your map to Hexen format it will be in the list of available types.

Right, it's not only the script which makes the hexen format different.
The map format has action special with 5 arguments, a separate activation type parameter, a z-coordinate for things and the same fields for actions spacials as for lindefs, and some more flags.
You need those for most of ZDoom's features. In your case, it is the dormant flag you need. You can set it on your ambient sound thing and just activate it with a linedef action.

Cyb said:

Except that all level editors require an IWAD in the same format as the level you're editing, so it's actually quite necessary.

If you plan to modify an original map from the iwad, that would be the exception. Otherwise, the editor shouldn't care. An iwad stripped of all maps should even work.

Cyb said:

Sigh...

Why is this incorrect information still spread? It may be true for WadAuthor but that editor is so old that it's understandable. For any new editor to require this step would be utterly pathetic. And no, DoomBuilder does not require it!

Deepsea does and wadauthor does, so I just figured Doom Builder did too. My bad!

Graf Zahl said:

Sigh...

Why is this incorrect information still spread? It may be true for WadAuthor but that editor is so old that it's understandable. For any new editor to require this step would be utterly pathetic. And no, DoomBuilder does not require it!

Deepsea and Zeth require it as well, so it's hardly incorrect :P

(okay deepsea can live without it from what I understand, but it will be happier if you have a hexen format iwad)

And I realize they don't have to (in reality it doesn't make any sense, though deep's reasoning was it allows someone new to zdoom editing to get their feet wet modifing levels they already know in this format, which I agree with) but it's just how it's done. I just assigned my zdoom2.wad to be DB's iwad for hexen format and I never really use DB outside of texture alignment.

Cyb said:

It doesn't change my opinion that it's stupid. After all the levels aren't really needed so why convert them unless someone wants to change them?

I never said it wasn't stupid, I just said it was necessary :P

edit: okay I guess I was wrong about zeth, but it's still true for deepsea!!!

Cyb said:

I use ZETH and I always used it with unmodified versions of DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD, and I noticed no problem with it. It can even convert the original maps upon load automatically, as I just checked this.