Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Single Map or Many Map

How many maps do you like to release at a time?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many maps do you like to release at a time?

• I like to release one level at a time.
    • I like to release small episodes of levels.
    • I like releasing big huge megawads of levels.
    • I like doing all of them!

Some people like releasing one map at a time and receiving feedback. Some people prefer to make small episodes of levels and releasing them. Some people like making big huge megawad projects and then releasing them after a few years of work.

Which person are YOU?

Though I haven't released anything yet... I like making 32 level megawads, smaller episodes, or one levels.

Except for the occasional map or two, I've always released mine one episode or hub at a time.

I've always been an episode/megawad person. For some reason I don't see the replay value in single maps as opposed to episodes/megawads (that's why I have compiled quite a lot of DooM/Heretic maps into episodes), so it's no surprise that I only make episodes and megawads, never single maps. (unless it's for a community project)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

(that's why I have compiled quite a lot of DooM/Heretic maps into episodes),

Good to see I am not alone. ;-)

If I'm working on my own I release a one level wad, if I'm in a project, I make a wad for a megawad.
T'all depends.

I prefer megawads myself, but I sometimes release my maps for feedback to help improve my megawad. The /newstuff reviews really give me a hand on making my maps better. If you want to see some nasty stuff, just ask me and I can send you a Doom episode of 9 maps that are my very first ones.

It takes me so long to build a level that I have to release them one at a time (otherwise I'd never release anything).

Damned Megawad making addiction. I like making the big olde 32 leveled Megawads but also enjoy making single maps...

I make my maps one at a time and release them one at a time, if I did an episode it would take forever, because I'm a slow mapper.

it depends on the project... some maps I make are intended as stand-alone and others need more than one map (or I plan on it)

I like doing both single levels and working for projects. But lately I've been more keen on doing solo things... that being because I hate signing up for a project that never gets finished.

Chris Hansen said:

I like doing both single levels and working for projects. But lately I've been more keen on doing solo things... that being because I hate signing up for a project that never gets finished.

/me whistles innocently...

Sorry, I'm beginning to regret having taken DE from Nami, if I don't hear of any progress soon I'll probably just drop it and you can release that sexcellent map of yours stand-alone or however you wish. I have two maps myself for that project that haven't seen the light of day.. by the time people see them they'll seem obsolete compared to my newer works.. the first was made completely in DoomCAD long before DB was available, and the second was done 90% in DoomCAD and then retouched and finished in DB. Though I still think they're fairly good :P

I always have respect for self-knowledge! ;) I can comfort you, that I wasn't just implying about DE.

It's just a sad fact that you see to much these days, I think... way too many projects have too long work periods.

Yeah, I agree... when I finish something... I want it seen, criticized, etc. as soon as I can, and a lot of projects never reach fruitation... or take far too long to get to it.

Exactly! You're touching the essence there... as a designer you feel that you cannot move on before someone has cast some sort of verdict on your latest work. Preferably a good deal of active community members. Levels that lie dormant on some project leader's harddrive, just doesn't bring the nessecary feedback to the designer. Of course, experienced as I am, the problem isn't really that big for me anymore, but I can imagine any not-so-experienced designer and a newcomer to a team could feel a little frustrated. I know that feeling from my trip around Doom Millennium... oops, touched a dangerous subject there...!

I do the best of both worlds. I do 10 map megawads, but I also release public betas every time a map or two makes it in.