Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

bad computer

after replacing the linksys router everything is up and running, excpet 1 computer. My dad's computer fails to show any sign of connection to the router. i get no responce from a ping, either to or from his system. the only sign is the light on the net card and router.

i have replaced everything, card cables, even tried the card in a different PCI slot.
I have reinstalled windows, drivers, TCP/IP, and settings. all other computers are working perfectly.

history about dad's computer.
recently had a number of minor worm viruses and spyware. however none of that should have survived an entire format of the hard drive.

however i just noticed today an icon on the desktop called "NetMarket!" now i am sure that is a spyware program or a part of one. without internet how did it get installed.

possibly from a game or even system drivers.

anyways could netmarket be causeing this issue.

it is one of those things where you have done everything and still nothing works

NetMarket is most definitely spyware. When you get the drivers for your system, do you visit any other websites along the way (like email, etc)? I recommend looking up Spybot Search & Destroy for that...immunize your system from that crap. Not sure if it's the direct cause of your problem, but more than likely it's a contributing factor.

thats the thing, cant get online. have not been able to at all. hell cant even ping the router. all stuff loaded was from CD-ROM. and a few games.

i am fairly sure that it was on one of the game disks. mainly C&C generals however i did not rule out the fact it could have come from the system drivers disk (mainboard)

- FORMAT.
- RE-INSTALL FROM A CLEAN (XP?) CD, NOT A THIRD-PARTY BURNED DISC.
- DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE.

Let us know if that works.

Ultraviolet said:

- RE-INSTALL FROM A CLEAN (XP?) CD, NOT A THIRD-PARTY BURNED DISC.

Why? What exactly is a "third party burned disk" according to your definition?

dr_st said:

Why? What exactly is a "third party burned disk" according to your definition?

any burned xp install disk...or maybe an iso...any non-legit maybe

Yes. And therefore by that definition such a CD can't be trusted to be clean except for that Windows virus one wants to install intentionally... :P

yea i did that, twice. i even flashed the BIOS.

things i have done
flashed BIOS
fdisk and format
installation (from clean real win2k disk)
installed only network drivers
replaced router, card and cables

still doing the same damn thing, and this is a windows problem! if i place a linux boot disk it works!

this all started when i bought a Linksys router (never never buy BEFW11S4! has serious issue and linksys really should issue a recall) i placed the original back.

right now i am doing the 3rd reinstall. before i remove all the hardware and start testing it. i remember having issues with a vid card and it was really a bad CPU.

I have never had any good things happen with Linksys routers. Now we're using a D-Link router, and everything works fine and dandy - except now, me and my brother are unable to connect to each other for multiplayer games.

Seph I am amazed how many problems you have. It's almost as if you are damned or something. I see how your title fits now :/

There is one thing I haven't seen you mention whether you have done or not.

...did you check the HCL?

EDIT: If your hardware isn't on the HCL, getting Win2k service pack 4 on a CD might help. It might contain some additional hardware support features/drivers that could be of some use to you.

EDIT AGAIN: Don't forget that any one of your hardware devices that aren't on the HCL could be the problem. Anything on the same bus as the network card could obviously cause problems, and even anything totally unrelated could concievably cause some issues. It may even be your motherboard which is not on the HCL. The HCL doesn't mean "THIS IS THE ONLY HARDWARE THAT WORKS WITH THIS OS. EVER. PERIOD." It just means that's all that's "supported," or "guaranteed" to work.

I wonder if you got your diety status over faulty hardware by not checking the HCL. You can find it on any Windows CD or online as the HCL is updated. I reccomend the latter, as the former only deals with what Windows (9x/2k/XP/NT/etc) was tested with at the time of its release, and other hardware may be supported over time.

I wonder what re-installing an operating system is like.

well the problem was rather lame. i upgraded my dad's system a few months back. the mainboard i used had onboard lan. well for what ever reason when i installed the linksys router, windows went nuts.

seems to have an issue with 2 network cards. either way i installed both sets of drivers and it worked. rather than just installing drivers for the netcard i use.

as for HCL both cards are in it. I also did update to service pack 4.

to make things easy i just removed the netcard i was useing. linux i guess would detect both but would use the one that had a DCHP connection.

Use3D said:

I wonder what re-installing an operating system is like.

I wonder if it takes as long as updating and re-compiling a kernel... hmm...

Sephiroth said:

as for HCL both cards are in it. I also did update to service pack 4.

You didn't mention any of your other hardware being on the HCL or not. Did you check?

EDIT: SCREEEEECH -- Hold up! 2 NIC's? Go to your connections window and disable one. Tell me what happens. I have this issue with XP at school all the time... they use Norton Ghost and don't properly configure for 2 network cards, so the machines they ghost with the same image as the 1-card machines tend to report that "a network cable is unplugged." For some reason they instantly try to do everything on whichever card is NOT working. Either remove one card or disable one connection and tell me what happens.

When you format, add a /u parameter. Also, do a "format /mbr" (master boot record). I've had viruses hanging out in there before. It may not help in this particular case, but it's a good way to reformat to make sure it cleans everything.

Boot from the CD drive with the win2k disk in and choose repair console. at the console, type: FIXMBR ... also format /mbr or fixboot would work from recovery console...

the issue seems to be with the 2 net cards. even disabling one didnt help. i had to install both sets of drivers and then disable.

i dont know why it tried to use a device that had no drivers.

either way i had cleaned out everything, yes even the MBR.

either way problem solved

It's not so much about whether it has drivers or not. It's just that XP/2k seems to try to ensure that all networking equipment is in working order, even if it isn't necessary, before it'll do anything.

what kind of computer is it. If it is dell or gateway and even others they come with cds that can run a test on you hard drive and all other drivers not using windows.If you need help call tech. support. Anyway if the problem doesn't show up on the tests then you know it is a windows problem. That might not help you much but atleast it will narrow the possible problems that you may have.