Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew316

Question about Doom Builder

For example, if you want to add a barrel to your map, you go to "things mode" and go under obstacles and add a barrel. Is it possible to add (for example) another kind of barrel? I don't mean to change the barrel that shows up, I mean can you add barrel #2 for example and have a different barrel show up? Or are you just limited to the list that Doom Builder has? Thank you.

Andrew

If understand it correctly: No. You are limited to the list that DB presents if you're working with an original iwad only. You'd have to import new sprites if you'd like another kind of barrel.

The list shows all the things that Doom supports. If you want something else you have the following options

1. Replace the graphics for something you don't need.
2. Use a source port which supports adding new items (ZDoom, Eternity, EDGE) Keep in mind that the methods these use are incompatible

OK, thank you. I was also messing around with DeepSea. Is there any way to do what I said in DeepSea?

I think Graf Zahl may have misled you when he said the second option is incompatible with Doom Builder. You can still use Doom Builder to put the thing in, but it won't know what it is you are putting in. You have to put in your new thing's number and Doom Builder will mark it as an unknown thing.

If you are using Deepsea, and you are using the Zdoom method of adding a new thing (you have to add a lump to your wad called DECORATE and define your new thing in there), then Deepsea will recognize the new thing and label it correctly.

I have no idea if Deepsea will recognize other port's methods of adding new things.

OR you can use Graf's first option which works in both editors and everything becomes a whole lot simpler.

Epyo said:

I think Graf Zahl may have misled you when he said the second option is incompatible with Doom Builder.

I never said that. I meant they were incompatible to each other but the rest of the sentence got accidentally cut off.

oh, ok, I noticed there was no period but I figured it was just a broken period key.

Epyo said:

You can still use Doom Builder to put the thing in, but it won't know what it is you are putting in. You have to put in your new thing's number and Doom Builder will mark it as an unknown thing.

OK, two questions:
1- If I put in the new thing's number and Doom Builder marks it unknown, will it still show up as the right thing when I play the game?
2- How do you set a new thing to a certain number?

Thank you for all your help.

Andrew

You cant make new things in doom legacy

Like they said, use EDGE, Eternity or Zdoom..personally i find EDGE the easiest one to add new items with, but lets not get into a port war..

You'll need Wintex to add new sprites, sounds, ect, and XWE is good for editing the EDGE DDF files (if you do it in wintex, when you save any changes it makes a "double entry", ie you get DDFTHING in the wad twice, and you have to delete the bottom one all the time, which gets annoying