Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Lag and XP

I was wondering, if one would go for a TAS icarus run, how many times would he have to suicide ? :)

Selim > do you have a slight lag by recording under XP ?

Vincent: Usually I don't have any lag, but from time to time it happens ... like the weird movements or the locking of the forward move :x
Fortunately lags are extremely rare.

Sbastard said:

Vincent: Usually I don't have any lag, but from time to time it happens ... like the weird movements or the locking of the forward move :x
Fortunately lags are extremely rare.

Here is want I experience on my comp, when I load a game it is lagless for a couple seconds (1 or 2), then the weird slight lag kicks up.
I wonder if it's related to the way XP handles memory or video.

I remember that some keys get locked once in a while too.

Are there any emulator that could fix this lag problem ? I don't mind playing w/o sound if it's lagless :)

Well the only way to avoid lag under winXP is to turn the sound off.
I can't remember how I did this, but I think that some people here can advice you ;)

Sbastard said:

Well the only way to avoid lag under winXP is to turn the sound off.
I can't remember how I did this, but I think that some people here can advice you ;)

I did turn off the sound with setup.exe but still I get some very slight lag.

When I play in Doom2.exe in WinXP with no sound, I don't get any "lag" per se, but it does play in what feels like slow motion.

VolteFace said:

When I play in Doom2.exe in WinXP with no sound, I don't get any "lag" per se, but it does play in what feels like slow motion.

That's what I call lag :)

Vile runs doom2.exe under Win2K w/o any lag. But he told me he had lag before, but not anymore.
Do you think there might be a fix ?

VinceDSS said:

Do you think there might be a fix ?

Yes. Buy a, say, P100, for, like, $20 and it's fixed :)

yeah but I am not in this country forever... so I don't want to buy too much stuff. I could still dump it later tho...

I tried VDMSound, it's cool when you want sound, but it has more lag than playing doom2.exe w/o sound..

I also tried SoundFX2000 (which has excellent SB16 midi emulation) but it generates the same lag.
I used DosBox too, but it's completely sluggish, so no way...

Right now, I am looking for a way to get absolutely NO lag.

I think 90% of it depends upon your chipset/soundcard.
Microsoft did their part, the hardware manufacturers are the ones who don't have functional drivers.

I repeat what I said : I play w/o sound and still get a slight lag.

And my config is Athlon 2000 Mhz with a Radeon

You could be getting 2d draw drag from the video layer... just not as nasty as sound does.

vince: you could always boot linux and run using dosemu. That's how I play for compet-n now and there's no lag at all. You could probably do it from a boot CD like Knoppix, so no need to install Linux to hard disk...

The lag (im sure) is from how XP handles I/O. With DOS you have direct connection to peritherals whereas with XP it decides what happens when, so if it doesn't see the mouse as a high priority it'll do something else.

There's a large difference in how responsive serial and parallel ports are between 98 and XP. 98 is really snappy and you can get really reliable timing whereas with XP it's unpredictable.

Szymanski said:

There's a large difference in how responsive serial and parallel ports are between 98 and XP. 98 is really snappy and you can get really reliable timing whereas with XP it's unpredictable.

I never ran Doom on XP but I imagine the same lag would be there when playing back a demo; it's nothing to do with ports then since all the controls are read from a file.

AdamW said:

vince: you could always boot linux and run using dosemu. That's how I play for compet-n now and there's no lag at all. You could probably do it from a boot CD like Knoppix, so no need to install Linux to hard disk...

would be cool... but I have no idea on how to make this type of CDs.
Is it possible to mail me one ? And is Linux able to read thru NTFS partitions ? (so that I can browse thru my doom folders).

I can eventually download an ISO or CIF (EZ CD Creator CD Image) files. I cant download such big files from work, we are heavily checked, we work for a huge corporation and internet is strictly restricted. But I guess I can do that from Vono's place.

Btw, I have no idea how to use Linux ... :)

http://www.knopper.de/ is Knoppix, the biggest CD-image distro. It's one ISO, download it, write it to a CD, boot it, and you should have Linux. Let me know when you get that far and we can figure out the rest :)

Hello all,

Another suggestion is to use FreeDOS.
Anyway, I hope it works out for you, Vince. I have never experienced lag when running doom.exe or doom2.exe under XP, so something at your end sure does sound f-ed up. :-)

BTW -> I liked your and Jim's Doom 2 Coop max movie! I'm surprised nobody's registered their appreciation (or disgust ;-P) yet.

EDIT: Crap, I just saw Grazza had commented on it in another thread. Heh. As Grazza said it shows you planned your routes carefully.. You were both quite busy in all the maps, all the time. Oh, and map 30 sucked! :-P

AdamW said:

http://www.knopper.de/ is Knoppix, the biggest CD-image distro. It's one ISO, download it, write it to a CD, boot it, and you should have Linux. Let me know when you get that far and we can figure out the rest :)

ok, I could download the ISO file using a high speed connection courtesy of Mr. Jim Leonard, was very nice of him (I was not going to spend a couple months DLing it with my crappy 26K connection :).

I put it on CD and it runs perfect, so I am now waiting for your instructions since I am a complete linux dummy :)

Kristian Ronge said:

Anyway, I hope it works out for you, Vince. I have never experienced lag when running doom.exe or doom2.exe under XP, so something at your end sure does sound f-ed up. :-)

well, I am waiting for AdamW's directions on how to use linux's DOSemu, and where to find it too.

BTW -> I liked your and Jim's Doom 2 Coop max movie! I'm surprised nobody's registered their appreciation (or disgust ;-P) yet.
EDIT: Crap, I just saw Grazza had commented on it in another thread. Heh. As Grazza said it shows you planned your routes carefully.. You were both quite busy in all the maps, all the time. Oh, and map 30 sucked! :-P

yeah, you and Grazza are actually the only ones that submitted anything :(
We spent a whole lot of time on it (maybe 60-70h), but still I think many maps are rather bad/crap. And I am not satisfied with the last episode. We plan on maybe improving it later and get below the hour.

And yeah, map30 is awful, mainly my fault ... I did the jump but missed my rockets... I sucked hard.

I'm a bit far away from Doom again, but of course I'm still watching demos. And OF COURSE I've watched your and Xit's 30uv movie - and I really like it :) I'm looking forward to an improvement, and can't await your 30fa movie. Good luck with it!

VinceDSS said:

yeah, you and Grazza are actually the only ones that submitted anything :(

The lack of comments doesn't mean that plenty of other people won't have watched and enjoyed it. I watch all the stuff in /incoming and enjoy >90% of it, but probably comment on <5% of them.

Vile's 30ns just left me speechless.

The 30fa coop sounds like an interesting project. How many feasible full-game runs through Doom2 would remain undone then? 30ns coop? 30nmnet1? 30nsnet1??

Whoops, this is going off-topic (again!).

Actually we tried the 30fa coop for a short time this monday, we got to map13 in our first try. And we quitted when Jim forgot the shell box secret :)))

Nobody died but we played really carefull (a bit slow)... map15, 17 and 26 might be tougher because of the cybies we have to fight w/o invul. So the toughest is still to come :)

Grazza said:

I watch all the stuff in /incoming and enjoy >90% of it, but probably comment on <5% of them.

Then don't watch our coop -fast demos :)
They are not good at all, most of them are 2nd, 3rd or 4th exit.
Except cf03-042 which is a funnny map we enjoyed to play (but still not so good in the end:)

Grazza said:

The 30fa coop sounds like an interesting project. How many feasible full-game runs through Doom2 would remain undone then? 30ns coop? 30nmnet1? 30nsnet1??

Well, 30re, 30recoop and 30renet1 are also possible :) and 30fa coop has just been done.

Tyson (30) and pacifist (07 & 30) are not viable.