Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Game boxes

Does anyone remember what year and what month around the smaller game boxes started coming out?

I still remember the huge boxes.

What do you guys think of them. I guess I like the new small type.

I was just wondering because I just bought the Doom - Collectors Edition on e-bay, and the seller said that it was in a mini-box.

The DVD boxes are a fine idea. I mean really, what is the point of having 20cm x 10cm boxes that contain one paper slip with a CD and and registration form?

to answer the question, I first saw them early last year.

I never really have taken the time to look at the boxes my games come in.

What I have noticed though is that the game boy games don't come in those little cases anymore...

lol. Yeah, I still have a few gameboy games with a broken old-school fat-thick white gameboy. Some of the games have those nice plastic cases.

I haven't played gameplay in a real long time. What kind of case, or if there is one at all, do the new gameboy games come with?

Skeletor said:

I was just wondering because I just bought the Doom - Collectors Edition on e-bay, and the seller said that it was in a mini-box.

The current release of Doom: Collector's Edition comes in a CD slip case type dealie.

A few years ago, games started coming out released in DVD cases. They soon dropped this idea and then went back to big boxes. Some time last year, smaller boxes with DVD cases enclosed inside them started to show up. It's quite ironic that PC gamers (and, back in the day, Amiga gamers) will complain about boxes, but they don't seem to buy anything that doesn't come in a box...

Skeletor said:

I haven't played gameplay in a real long time. What kind of case, or if there is one at all, do the new gameboy games come with?

I bought Pokemon Crystal (Yeah yeah, the tv show sucks, but the game itself is fun to play sometimes) on sale and the cartridge came in just a little plastic slip cover.

No more little plastic cases. :(

Hmmmm, for regular games I'd prefer the DVD-sized box, but for collector's editions and so forth I'd prefer the huge box.

Arckra said:

I bought Pokemon Crystal (Yeah yeah, the tv show sucks, but the game itself is fun to play sometimes) on sale and the cartridge came in just a little plastic slip cover.

No more little plastic cases. :(

Yeah...

*pours a fo'ty for the little plastic cases that kept me entertained for hours on end*

Trasher][ said:
Yeah...

*pours a fo'ty for the little plastic cases that kept me entertained for hours on end*

:D I never could get them opened. It'd take me forever and a day to do it. Oh but how safe they kept my games.

My young eyes are still virgin to these cases you speak so well of...

I prefer DVD cases. They're easier to keep organized and sit nicely next to my XBox games.

I don't give a mouse's tiny ass about whether it's a "tiny" box or a DVD case, as long as it's not a big box.

Big box = waste of space.

Oh and regardless, getting a new game is always equally satisfying, regardless of casing.

I personally think that even DVD cases are needlessly large, all games and DVD's should come in CD cases. But actually it makes no difference to me in terms of storage space as I throw out all the game packaging and stick the games in a CD wallet.

Personally I think dvds, cds, and games alike should all come in those slime jewlcases they sell for you to put cds without cases in. Very compact, small, and light.

I don't like slimline cases. I would like everything to come in DVD cases, so that way there's enough room for a couple of CD's and a decent-sized manual.

Screw the case/box idea, they should just tie the price tag to the CD using a piece of string.
Except for games with large manuals, they should sell all PC games in a CD case. Or maybe even those cardboard sleeve type things that are used for demo CDs and the like.
It doesn't really bother me though, I haven't been near a game store for several years now.

Skeletor. I really wouldn't have recommended buying it on ebay considering you can buy it at WalMart for 5 dollars. But if you did thats fine too I guess. Anyways, I like the new "smaller" boxes. They don't take up as much room and they are easier to carry etc.. If you ever noticed, in the big boxes there was always a lot of room for the CD's, manuals, etc to bang around in, whereas in the new ones, it's just the right size ;-) I don't like PC games being in teh same case as an XBOX, GameCube, PS2, or DVD case though. Keep them in boxes and in plastic CD cases. Also, the Doom CE doesn't come in a "mini-box." It comes in a cardboard foldup case that has 2 CDs in it.

I don't mind the small boxes but I think games should come in standard sized DVD cases.

my grandmother could never open a old school gameboy case. those where nice cases. though new games dont fit well into them. however they are great for CPU storage

I live in a 10x15 "cell".......i want my games to be compact and space efficient.

S1lent said:

Skeletor. I really wouldn't have recommended buying it on ebay considering you can buy it at WalMart for 5 dollars. But if you did thats fine too I guess. Anyways, I like the new "smaller" boxes. They don't take up as much room and they are easier to carry etc.. If you ever noticed, in the big boxes there was always a lot of room for the CD's, manuals, etc to bang around in, whereas in the new ones, it's just the right size ;-) I don't like PC games being in teh same case as an XBOX, GameCube, PS2, or DVD case though. Keep them in boxes and in plastic CD cases. Also, the Doom CE doesn't come in a "mini-box." It comes in a cardboard foldup case that has 2 CDs in it.

I don't know where you live, but I've checked my local wal-mart many times and all they have is the new/recent games. The only id game I saw them have there was Quake III arena, which was the cd-case only no box version. It seems in my area Doom CE and other Doom games are very difficult to come by.

Damn. I had a feeling Doom CE didn't come in the new small boxes. That cardboard foldup case is probably what they meant by mini boxes. Bastards.

Oh well. I actually have a d/l version of D1, and D2, so I wanted to actually buy the games.

I'm learning to program right now, and now I can see why developers don't like piracy. Not only is it because of the money, but because alot of hard work was put in to making the software.
I wouldn't want my games to be pirated around the internet after all the hard work I put into it.

No more piracy of any kind for me.

I freaking hate stores that seem to have taken good old stuff off their shelves simply because they were still in large boxes.

I prefer the large boxes. Most of the games that come in a small DVD box come without a decent manual, and since the box can normally hold only 1 CD, if there is more than that, the additional CDs are thrown into plastic bags. That's just ridiculous. If I buy a game, instead of just downloading it, I expect a certain level of packaging.

I don't like the DVD boxes, but I do like the smaller boxes. Not the really big ones we had 5 yrs ago but the ones that all the PC games are in now.

Big software boxes blow, they take up more space and more money if not only a small amount. A box should be big enough to hold the manual, the software and accessories. I've saved the boxes for every GBA game I own (and still do) because they're nice and small, yay.

I think the smaller box size that came out a year or so ago for games is as small as they should get. It's not too big and not too small, plus it still has room for a decent manual.