Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

Dumb Palette Question

I never knew much about Doom 2's palette, except that it's kind of weird. Anyway, I know that the entry PLAYPAL or perhaps COLORMAP has something to do with it... but I don't know how to properly view those entries. Has anyone created a bitmap or something with all of Doom's palette colors on it?

XWE Will help if You want to view the pallette. It view both Playpal and Colormap. To have total control in editing the pallette and colormap use DeePSea.
The colormap (if I'm not mistaking) is a serie of 32 pallettes where colors darken to achieve the effect of light changes in Doom and to properly view the textures with it.
If You want to see the colors of the pallette-view the playpal lump.
The pallette isn't bad or weird. It's meant for Doom2 and it's sprites/textures, for example, the pallette lacks Aquamarines, but there is no textures or sprite to use that colour. If You want to start a new TC and Your graphics can't cope with the pallette You have to make a new one.

Open up a DooM bitmap in Paint Shop Pro.
Go to 'Edit Palette' in the Colors menu.
Press the screen grab (print screen key).
Go to 'Paste as New Image' from the Edit menu.
Save it as a bitmap.
Edit it if you wish, to remove all the surrounding stuff.

(I do have a bitmap that has all the colours in one line, but this one is easier to understand IMO, especially if you're after the palette entry numbers)

Not really, I'm actually after the colors themeselves... I have a program that's designed to make easy games... but it also has a good paint engine which includes a transparency mode, so I use it sometimes in place of MS Paint for graphic editing. When it grabs a color for use it shows the RGB values on the bottom of the screen... anyway, thanks a lot. I knew PSP would come in use for SOMETHING I could understand. :P