Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Borgod

Doom3 Multiplayer?

How many of you are buying Doom3 For the multiplayer aspect of it? From what I have read its gonna be soley focusing itself as a single player game. I heard the multiplayer is only for 4 players. 4 player deathmatch or 2v2 would get pretty boring pretty fast. I have heard once the mod makers get there hands on it they will be able to break that barrier. My question to you guys is.. Will doom3 be a competitve multiplayer game such as the likes of Quake3Arena or CounterStrike Or CallOFDuty etc. Or do you feel its just gonna be like a resident evil, and just scare u in a good single player campaign?

I'd probably get it for the Single Player part, although 4 person DeathMatch most certainly isn't boring, in my opinion. I find playing with more than 8 people to be more annoying/cramped than fun.

Well, Doom was originally made as a single-player game. There will be a pretty cool MP but it will only hold a few people (remember, it's deathmatch). To compare it's multiplayer to CS or CoD isn't really fair considering those are TEAM BASED online games (though most people don't really play it like one) whereas this is just head 2 head all out Deathmatch. Anyways, I think that it will be more known for it's amazing single-player rather than it's multiplayer. Although there is a very good chance that Doom 3 may have addons, patches, or updates that would change the MP in some ways. But like I said earlier, it will be known for its SP story and gameplay (because that is what Doom has been known for since the day it came out). And to compare it to resident evil is insulting to ID....Resident Evil makes you jump, this is going to make you crap your pants.

Borgod said:

How many of you are buying Doom3 For the multiplayer aspect of it? From what I have read its gonna be soley focusing itself as a single player game. I heard the multiplayer is only for 4 players. 4 player deathmatch or 2v2 would get pretty boring pretty fast. I have heard once the mod makers get there hands on it they will be able to break that barrier. My question to you guys is.. Will doom3 be a competitve multiplayer game such as the likes of Quake3Arena or CounterStrike Or CallOFDuty etc. Or do you feel its just gonna be like a resident evil, and just scare u in a good single player campaign?

Multiplayer is the main reason I'll play DOOM 3. id has moments in the company's history where a game's multiplayer is SO well designed, it's just crazy-good. For instance, DOOM II and Quake III.

Now, when I say well-designed, I mean the weapon balance is SUPURB. Every weapon is very useful in certain situations, and the player movement speed/damage/and reload times are all very well-matched. Not to mention id always has the most fun player physics to play with. DOOM felt better than Duke, Quake III feels better than Unreal, etc.

I expect it to be very well designed, that's why I'm going to play it. It could turn out to be their best designed multiplayer ever, even if it doesn't have thirty vehicles and 80 weapons and 9000 maps and gameplay modes.

Original doom was limited to 4 players as well and it was damn funny.
I know, it doesn't really compare to the new doom (map size, movement speed) but I just want to say that it won't need a higher player limit to be good if its well done.
But i don't care much about the doom3 multiplayer. I have Q3 for multiplayer action. Like mje already pointed out, its AWESOME in terms of weapon balance and player movement.

I don't think weapon balance is all the important. In quake one, the rocket launcher was THE weapon. Just because everyone went for it, didn't mean that you couldn't jack someone up with a super nail gun. I think it was better that way.

They should make a threewave 3.5 mod for doom3 :) no mod to be downloaded, just a grappling hook, flags and runes. Man.. those were the days..

mje said:

I expect it to be very well designed, that's why I'm going to play it. It could turn out to be their best designed multiplayer ever, even if it doesn't have thirty vehicles and 80 weapons and 9000 maps and gameplay modes.

I agree, i have a stong feeling that the multiplayer will be a lot better than id expects

think about it, Doom was originally a SP focused game, and yet its multiplayer was excellent. Quake ahd deliberate MP focus, and yet a lot of it became a race to rocketlauncher with very little fun.

Quake II on the other hand, was a much more SP focused game (it was released with NO multi maps) and yet the weapon balance was WAYY better than Quake, and the maps a big improvement

AgentSpork said:

I'd probably get it for the Single Player part, although 4 person DeathMatch most certainly isn't boring, in my opinion. I find playing with more than 8 people to be more annoying/cramped than fun.

I totally agree. I've always preferred smaller scale deathmatches.

I know Doom 3 will have fun multiplayer, but it probably won't be my favorite. I I will probably be playing Wolfenstein until a version of it is released with the Doom 3 engine.

So for me, it's the engine I'm excited about, more than the game.

Bring on Return to Castle Wolfenstein Deux!

-Endureth

I'm buying Doom 3 for the single player game - I really long for a single player game that stands out from the rest and I hope Doom 3 will be it.
I mean, I remember Doom 1 as the perfect single player game back in the day.

But I gotta admit that I'm getting excited about the deathmatch - the slightly tactical touch and the player limit really appeals to me, because I'm sick of those goddamn 32+ player circuses that drive me crazy. Oh yes, and part of it might be spite towards multiplayer geeks who whine about how boring the four-player limit will be. They need to learn to accept changes from the norm.

AgentSpork said:

I absolutely agree. I've never been a fan of masses of players, and nore, generally, maps that are too vast for the pace of gameplay, like I found with the Battlefield games for example.
Yep, Doom 3 multiplayer will rock. It's just a big shame that the PC version won't have co-op *sob*...

dsm said:

because I'm sick of those goddamn 32+ player circuses that drive me crazy. Oh yes, and part of it might be spite towards multiplayer geeks who whine about how boring the four-player limit will be. They need to learn to accept changes from the norm.

I completely agree. Personally, I don't like Halo DM on X-Box that I have because everyone loves to try and do 16+ players. I hate it. To me a 4-Player DM is perfect.

well i for the most part agree, i like a smaller dm or mp game but i think 4 is just a little small. 10 would be perfect but it all depends on how they do it. ie server or just lan lines

If you consider the CO-OP as multiplayer, than yes, it's one of the top reasons why I'm going to buy Doom 3.

Needing your flashlight so often is the part of the game that least appeals to me, mainly because the monsters 'can smell your fear' thus will not miss the chance to take cheap shots on you in the dark. With CO-OP, my friends and I can take turns being the flashlight boy. :)

Yep multiplay is gonna be classic, shadow hunting, stealth with big bad weapons. Plus the lag issue will be minimal with only 4 players.

invaderNny said:

wobbo you're an idiot

Elaborate sonny

Wobbo said:
Doom was originally a SP focused game, and yet its multiplayer was excellent.

No, Doom's multiplayer was liked because it was there. Almost everybody dropped it the day Quake became available. And face it, more people still play Quake DM then Doom DM. Not because it uses better technology (if that was the case, they'd be playing Quake 3 or Unreal 2004) but because Quake is a better Deathmatch game.
I mean, it takes a very particular kind of person to still like Doom DM nowadays.

So to answer the question rased in this thread, I'll buy it primarily for the singleplayer game. I probably won’t even get to try multiplayer. I generally don’t play online, and LAN parties are too hard to set up.

invaderNny said:

wobbo you're an idiot

While it's not totally impossible that you're right to some degree, you had better give us some reasons to back up your claim so that you don't look like an idiot yourself...
Idiot.

Wobbo said:

Quake ahd deliberate MP focus, and yet a lot of it became a race to rocketlauncher with very little fun.

only an idiot that doesn't know how to use the rocketlauncher would think that it isn't very fun.

invaderNny said:

only an idiot that doesn't know how to use the rocketlauncher would think that it isn't very fun.

How about an "idiot" who prefers ... now what was that word?...ah yes!...variation in the use of offensive means ('offensive' as in 'attack-based')?

dsm said:

While it's not totally impossible that you're right to some degree, you had better give us some reasons to back up your claim so that you don't look like an idiot yourself...
Idiot.

dsm said:

How about an "idiot" who prefers ... now what was that word?...ah yes!...variation in the use of offensive means ('offensive' as in 'attack-based')?

My use of the word idiot was to "back up my claim," what's your excuse? huh? idiot? HUH IDIOT? IDIOT!

invaderNny said:

My use of the word idiot was to "back up my claim," what's your excuse? huh? idiot? HUH IDIOT? IDIOT!

My god, you ARE an idiot, since you apparently didn't understand my backing and even failed to see it. Sheesh.

Edit: Well, since you can't read between the lines, I'll try and make it simple for you:

1. The problems start when Wobbo expresses his own opinion on Quake, which is that he thinks it's boring.

2. Then you happen to stumble into the forum with a drunken remark about how Wobbo is an idiot - because apparently, you don't agree because you like Quake's multiplayer.

3. Then I step in pointing out that it's dumb to just call people "idiots" unless you back it up right away and support your claim and to emphasize this, I jokingly called you an idiot (shoulda been marked as being a joke more clearly, but since nobody else seems to mark their jokes clearly here, why should I?).

4. Then you, at last, put your slow ass together to back up your claim with a really poor reason: "Only an idiot who doesn't know how to use a rocket launcher would think Quake is boring", I'll get to why it's a dumb reason in a minute.

5. I respond with an implication that perhaps there are people who prefer a more varied gameplay in which you use different weapons to bag your opponent rather than constantly going for the rocket launcher and largely ignoring the rest of the weapons, such as myself and probably Wobbo as well. So saying that only "idiots who can't use the rocket launcher" would find it boring is blatantly close-minded as it ignores basic differences in personality traits that people commonly have.
You like Quake? Fine, but there ARE people who don't like Quake, because they prefer a play style with a greater variety of tactics that a more well-balanced weaponry offers and calling those idiots just because they don't like your all-time favourite multiplayer game is downright chauvanistic.

6. And here we are now, with the idiotic comment you made to which I'm now responding. I won't say that I'm better than you, since I've called you an idiot too, maybe I'm not the right person to advise you here, but I still suggest you take a careful look at people's posts, think about what you're saying - here at DW, newbies usually become targets for verbal abuse from the senior Members and since I don't recall having seen your nick for very long time, I consider you a newb.

uh, moron, you and I are talking about word variation. Since when did you have an opinion on Quake 1?

In my previous post I made the comment that just because the RL was the best weapon, didn't mean that as long as you have skill, you can't easily take someone down with a super nail gun or even a shotgun.