Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesEightBitStar

LEAST Favorite monster?

Okay, so what Doom/Doom2 monsters did you hate MOST?

For me, my least favorite monster is the Arch-Vile. Not only does he resurrect other monsters, but his flame attack is near-impossible to dodge and does a whallop of damage. Honestly, to this day I can not beat one without resorting to cheat codes (but I'll keep trying...).

When you see those yellow flames, hide behind something, a pillar, around a corner, whatever (hiding behind sprites won't work though). He cannot hit you if there's a wall between you and the Arch-Vile.

Pain Elemental. But I use them anyway, they're good in the right places.

The Arch Vile is fucking awesome.

I think all the demons have their good qualities to be honest. Least favorite I guess would have to be the pain elemental though, probably.

Pain Elemental, because it spawns Lost Souls, which are known for being extremely irritating.

Pain Elementals are annoying but at least the idea of one monster spawning another has a degree of originallity. It can be taken care of with little fuss using the Chaingun.

Hell Knights are almost pointless and ID were lazy to use them instead of creating a new monster (reminds me of the various multi-coloured ninjas in Mortal Kombat). However, I like to use them when making WADs as it's nice to battle a bunch (herd?) of them and fairer than using Barons. They're like the imps bigger brother!

I as well have to say pain elemental. They sort of feel out of place in the way the disrupt the flow of the game. But that just could be me.

Pain Elemental. It doesn't do anything except spew out Lost Souls (which are the most annoying of all the demons). It doens't attack you, it doesn't shoot you, it doesn't DO anything. I find it to be the most worthless demon of all the others.

Perhaps the Pain Elemental would've been better with a bite attack like the Cacodemon's.

My least favourite monster is hard to pick, because I like them all. However, I guess the Nazi is my least favourite, mainly because it has no proper attack frames (no seperate angle sprites). It feels very incomplete that way.

The Pain Elemental, after it's had the chance to spit out 5+ Lost Souls. You have to put away your rocket launcher to fight it (unless you want the splash damage from a Lost Soul frying you) which can be dangerous in areas with plenty of other demons. I don't like to waste cell ammo unless it's absolutely necessary, so I end up using a Super Shotgun against the PE, usually. By the time you've killed one Lost Soul, it spits another out, an so on.

The Pain Elementals are fine in small hallways though. At least there they can't spawn the last three Lost Souls when they die.

I'll admit, I've always hated the Lost Souls except for the fact that I find them rather easy to deal with. But they're annoying in large groups.

I guess that, by default, makes the Pain Elementals my second least favorite monster (I place them above the Arch-Vile because, even though I know HOW to deal with the AV, I'm not particularly good at IMPLEMENTING that knowledge).

In order from most tolerable to least tolerable: Lost Souls, Arch-Viles, and Pain Elementals. If using Nightmare Squad, the shotgunners take the cake (especially on UV - INSTANT KILLS no matter what!)

Pain Elementals have always made me go, "Oh crap! Die now! Before you bring those damn souls! Die now" So they never last long enough to give me trouble (unless I am dealing with something else).

But Arch-Viles take the cake. They are creepy, fast, take a lot of shit, deal out even more shit, ressurect hard-killed enemies, and they are creepy. I always go "OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!" *runrunrun*
*turn*
*sneak*
OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT!
*run*
*finally kill it*

Lost Souls. At least you get some credit for killing PEs on the stats screen...

Pain Elemental. I find the PE to be the reason that Lost Souls are so annoying. Lost Souls were fine in the original Doom.

Who could forget the Chaingunner? Man these guys are HIGHLY annoying, especially from a distance.

DooMBoy said:

Who could forget the Chaingunner? Man these guys are HIGHLY annoying, especially from a distance.

Commandos you mean?

S1lent said:

Commandos you mean?

What do you think? What else has a chaingun?

Terra-jin said:

However, I guess the Nazi is my least favourite, mainly because it has no proper attack frames (no seperate angle sprites). It feels very incomplete that way.

Yep, I think most people have forgetten about the nazi soldier.

Lutrov71 said:

What do you think? What else has a chaingun?

Spiderdemon?

Pain elementals and zombie chaingunners. Very annoying, but I wouldn't want Doom without them either.

Pain Elementals, especially in large numbers because then I have to go "Ahhhhhhhhhhh crap! Them's a lot of Lost Souls! Die you stupid Pain Elementals! ACK! Stop attacking me from behind you other Pain Elementals with your Lost Souls! ... RUN!!!! *BFG*, bastards..." and others of the like.

Pain elementals. Not only are they an annoying monster, their very existence makes the formerly loveable lost souls seem annoying :(