Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesEightBitStar

LEAST Favorite monster?

Doomworld Forums enthusiasts have dealt with the matter previously... 1 2 3

And this is somewhat related.

Thanks for the completely useless input myk. Not all posts are going to be original so please get use to the idea that some ideas will repeat themselves. I get tired of people always saying "We've had this post before" or "Someone already posted it 3 weeks ago." Not everyone memorizes every thread that is posted or even remembers half of them.

Bleh. I really don't like it when someone brings up an old argument after I clean up the thread.

S1lent said:
Not everyone memorizes every thread that is posted or even remembers half of them.

Heh. If they don't remember them, then by all means it makes sense to post links to them so they can see them, perhaps? Furthermore, what is this, do you think people post here to please your desires as to what should be posted in a thread because you started it? I'll spend the time to link to whatever I want on whatever thread I feel like doing it in. And if it makes you feel like a newbie to see that what's being said has apparently already been said, tough luck. Just face the facts.

No one is stopping you from posting, and not everyone is naïve in regards to subjects like these. If you want the latter, go post in a DOOM Forum with less hardcore/oldtime members. There's a bunch. Especially if you're not interested in the wealth of information these Forums provide.

And believe me, it's better not to be patronizing towards Forum mods, and it's wise not to retype what supermods have deleted as inadequate.

You might be new and pretty young, but in a civilized environment, it never hurts to think twice or even to be S1lent for a bit till any overbearing egoistic impulses have subsided; and then to post with a keen mind.

To avoid the "it's been said" comments, which are naturally going to come up, it's good to use the Search Forums function, read about the subject in question, and then, if applicable, post about it, possibly linking to previous threads, or giving the new one a particular twist so as to make it a worthy Forum contribution.

Okay, thanks myk.

Now, for a twist... umm... what's the best way of dealing with an Arch-Vile?

If a Tweetle Beetle and an Arch-Vile got into a fight, what would it be called? More importantly, who would win?

It seems that someone has a lot of freetime.

Heh, I liked the Pain Elemental in Doom 64 just because it looks freakin awesome. But I'd say the monster that annoys me most in Doom/Doom 2 is the Revenant. God those things suck.

okay... i'll try to be as much polite as it is possible at this moment. ekhm.

USE THE SEARCH FORUMS BUTTON
god DAMNED!!!!!

I've been answering this sort of question couple of times, though the thread was named "most hated monster" or "doom2 monster you like the least" or "game character you hate the most"

please, please, please... for the name of god

Now: back on topic...
The monsters I like the least are: Arch-viles, Pain Elementals and Revenants...

I like the design of the revenants, but their death doesnt have much of a satisfaction value as the animation is just...stupid. What is the point of killing something unless it has a gruesome, overelaborate death? Take the Manc for example.
Oh, and I didnt mind the PE at all.

The Hell Knight actually occupies a pretty vital spot in terms of being good mid-level cannon fodder. It's not as completely disposable as the Imp or Pinky, and doesn't have an attack that can be potentially overwhelming in groups like the Revenant or Mancubus. Its strength, speed and attack are good for guarding keys or weapons in easier maps, or for using in groups around vital areas and choke points. But the fact that iD was lazy enough to just palette-swap the Baron's sprite always pissed me off.

What I've always wanted to see was a modification of the Doom2 IWAD that kept the HK's stats, speed, attack and even sounds the same, but integrated new sprites for a different appearance. I think it'd help a lot to make it look less awkward and out-of-place when placed right next to a Baron.

The PE is by far the most annoying of the bunch, though. I like the design and, to a certain extent, the concept, but it wasn't implemented as well as it should have been. A close-range bite attack would have made it far better to fight, more like an actual enemy than just a dump truck full of Lost Souls. And, unless used correctly, it can REALLY destroy the flow of a level. It almost ruined map17 of Vile Flesh for me earlier today (as there's an area where SIX of them appear when you're dangerously low on ammo, and it's extremely annoying to tackle them).

The SS trooper is the obvious choice, though.

Ubik said:

What I've always wanted to see was a modification of the Doom2 IWAD that kept the HK's stats, speed, attack and even sounds the same, but integrated new sprites for a different appearance. I think it'd help a lot to make it look less awkward and out-of-place when placed right next to a Baron.

Well, the megawad Rebirth had different sprites for the Baron of Hell instead. Rebirth's Baron had great wings, bigger horns, and a much more demonic appearance in general.

I like Rebirth's Baron better than the original, in that it gives the Hell Knight an apparent inferior look.

Terra-jin said:

Well, the megawad Rebirth had different sprites for the Baron of Hell instead. Rebirth's Baron had great wings, bigger horns, and a much more demonic appearance in general.

That reminds me, I still need to finish that. But yeah, Rebirth's Baron is excellent. Having been raised on the original Baron, though, it's hard to accept anything else to replace the original. ;)

I agree that the revenants death anim is very unsatisfing. same thing with the archvile. the only reaction i get from its broing death anim is "oh thank god its DEAD!".

Ubik said:
But the fact that iD was lazy enough to just palette-swap the Baron's sprite always pissed me off.

Well, the Player was already like that. Instead of four unique ones they all look the same except for the color... and all done through an engine hack, to boot.

Essentially the Hell Knight is the same monster as the Baron of Hell; they can't even hurt each other. As you implied, they added it in to be able to use more "bruisers" without them being too tough individually.

Overall DOOM and DOOM II do a lot of reusing like that. Many texture patches are the same except for the color or some variations, for example.

And optimizations for hard/software limitations. Overall the repetitions help give the game a theme, I think.