Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goliath

Daisy!!!!! (Pet Rabbit)

You have to be a real fan to remeber Daisy, "my pet rabbit" from the first doom. It is those little things that stick in your head. I know that they probably won't put Daisy in Doom3 but can anyone think of something cool that is insignificant but you would like to have in Doom3 or atleast have tribute to.

E1M1, maybe some tributes to old-school stuff like the firey inverted cross in E2M1, and heck, I'd love to see Dopefish make his mark once again.

I'd like to see some deceased barons of hell chained to the wall, in honour of the great cyberdemon lord when you eventually get to fight it.

Use3D said:

hud face :(

If I ever saw that thing in a current game I would freak out and wonder wtf I'm playing knowing its Doom yet wondering what that hideous thing is doing on my screen....

The infumous grey walls with rust.

maybe a poster of the lush mountains from the original episode one. it could be in the office of a chinese guy. who's name is engraved on a metal thingy on a table. and is the name of the asian guy working at id, which would be another easter egg :D

Wolfenstein3D easter egg... like in doom2.

that would kick ass.

or a remake of map08

Jehar said:

that would kick ass.

No it wouldn't...

A cartoon doodle of an octopus giving you the finger 8 times that is stuck to a refridgerator with a magnet that says "Mommy Look What I Did!"

What about all monsters showing up after the final boss, that can be killed by keypress and have their names underneath them like in Doom2?

Deathmatcher said:

What about all monsters showing up after the final boss, that can be killed by keypress and have their names underneath them like in Doom2?

No that would be awfully disappointing. Maybe as a cheat through the console or something for people who wanted to look at the monsters for fun, but certainly not as a reward for finishing the game.

I remember how disappointed I was when I finished Doom II and all I got was that crappy screen. Sure it was cool paging through them and seeing their death frames, but I expected a bit more after killing the Icon of Sin (big graphic showing the full beast itself and it's "thrashing limbs" would have been nice).

EDIT: Sorry, actually since this is about easter eggs and not just endgame scenarios, I would agree and say yes that would be cool (after a proper cutscene or something).

Jehar said:

that would kick ass.

That would be the most messed up thing in history. Wolfenstein with Doom3 lighting, physics, graphics, gameplay, etc would just look weird as hell

Dron said:

That would be the most messed up thing in history. Wolfenstein with Doom3 lighting, physics, graphics, gameplay, etc would just look weird as hell

ownage

off topic, but i just hope that they put both doom and doomII cds with doom3, I lost my doom2 :(

Dron said:

Not if based on RtCW

Someone said : off topic, but i just hope that they put both doom and doomII cds with doom3, I lost my doom2 :(

I saw at Wal-Mart just yesterday a Doom special release. It had Doom, Doom II, all the expansions and "special movie footage" of Doom 3. Almost bought it but didn't. It was only $10.

Goliath said:

You have to be a real fan to remeber Daisy, "my pet rabbit" from the first doom. It is those little things that stick in your head. I know that they probably won't put Daisy in Doom3 but can anyone think of something cool that is insignificant but you would like to have in Doom3 or atleast have tribute to.

Heh, "Daisy" wasn't even Id's idea - their involvement in adding the fourth episode in Ultimate Doom was minimal at best.

I'd like to see the twitching marine corpse on a stake rehashed and made even creepier in Doom 3. I remember the first time I played Doom on a, at the time, non-shitty computer where the frame rates were perfect - damn, those twitching corpses became a whole new experience.

dsm said:

Heh, "Daisy" wasn't even Id's idea - their involvement in adding the fourth episode in Ultimate Doom was minimal at best.

Whose idea was it then? IMHO id did the episode themselves. (Unlike the Final Doom levels)

Deathmatcher said:

Whose idea was it then? IMHO id did the episode themselves. (Unlike the Final Doom levels)

I read an interview with Id quite a while ago in which they were asked why they didn't put a new boss at the end of E4 instead of the same spider mastermind.

The response was something along the lines of Id itself having had very little to do with the making of the Ultimate Doom (they made Doom 1, the original three episodes, UDoom was released in 1995 as an enhanced version of Doom) - some of the Idders made a few maps but that was really it.

Also, there's the writing style of the last scrolling text sequence as compared to the other three. The first three scrolling text messages seemed to have more depth and more thought put behind - generally, Id's small story blurbs, how insignificant they may be, usually have an air of seriousness in it and give the impression that whoever at Id wrote the passages didn't just pull it out of their asses.
Even Doom 2's text messages seem a bit more professional than the last little blurb at the end of E4. Call it a hunch, but it really gives me the impression that somebody else did the last story bit.

I really need to find that interview.

Edit:
Not the interview I was looking for, but this one will probably do.

Carmack interviewed by DW.

Doomworld: Who came up with the idea of Ultimate Doom?

Carmack: Probably GT. It was never a real focus at Id.

[...]

Doomworld: Some of the Episode 4 levels are great, but why no new boss at E4M8?

Carmack: Again, Ultimate DOOM really wasn't a focus at Id.

[...]

Doomworld: Who's idea was it for the "The End" bunny scroller at the E3M8 ending, and why was it kept around in Ultimate Doom?

Carmack: I think that was Romero's idea, but I'm not sure.

Again, Ultimate DOOM involved a lot of recycling.

But then, Id could of course have come up with the little endgame tidbit themselves, but personally, I doubt it. Again, just a hunch.

@dsm: Maybe it was some GT Interactive guy (the publisher back then)
I think id had a hell lot more to do for Quake back then, than worrying about their former games.

dsm said:

I'd like to see the twitching marine corpse on a stake rehashed and made even creepier in Doom 3. I remember the first time I played Doom on a, at the time, non-shitty computer where the frame rates were perfect - damn, those twitching corpses became a whole new experience.

You can still see Daisy in the picture of earth after the 3rd episode. So that would be ID's creation.