Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Deus Vult is done

Thank god for the multiple levels. Look really nice. I'll play through it when I have a large chunk of free time.

EarthQuake said:

What?! You broke it down?

there are two versions in the wad. Map01 to map04 are the split up parts, while map05 is the whole map in one level.

I have not yet tried it yet, I just downloaded it. I doubt I will play seriously (I can't deal with anything right now) but I want to check the map out .

Good lord!
Wow, I'm sorry I ever doubted you. This is amongst the hardest doom wad I've ever played, and on top of that, it looks great!

When I got to map02, i wondered "why the hell is it so laggy after i set my resolution to 800x600?"
so i walk forward and notice there's a two-sided wall of lava, so I walk through it and I was astounded at the sight I saw. Not long after standing there with my mouth open did I die because I was unwary of 200 simultaneous fireballs being flung at me.

This has gone a long way from your original designs, and I look forward to playing it through. :)

Jesus christ, how in the hell are you going to top THIS?

I think I remember testing this map out a while ago, and while the inital part was meh, the subsquent parts totally blew me the f** away.

And the only reason I'm not playing it right now is because its still downloading ;o. Jesus, this thing must be a monster...

Somehow, after you beat map05 (I cheated my way through it after getting my ass kicked and getting bored), it seems a little anticlimatic to just end the level. What about including a 'congratulations/credits' level in map06. :)

Yeah, I know. Nevermind.

And oh yeah, I think I noticed a missing texture in the library section...around the floating eye.

It's a shame that it is only ultra-violent, über-violent and insanely-violent. I would have preferred one difficulty setting that's a little more tame. I doubt I will ever play it this way. These ultra-hard levels are not my style. :-(

Well, what can I say? That is one awesome wad!

One question though - Did you optimize the Reject on this?

It looks good, but the gameplay isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Their is one word to explain that wad and I think we all know what is is.

*cough*HUGE*cough*

Good for a first map... got bored about ten minutes into it though, the gameplay really grates after a while. Not enough variety in the gameplay, and the inconsistency of the themes really got to me.

Well I've had a little play. It looks a lot better than some of the earlier versions I played. Whilst the earlier versions still had loads of linedefs and sectors, the detailing just didn't look very nice to me. But the finished version looks a lot better. Probably something to do with better use of textures. Gameplay-wise I am not so sure. It's just big battle after big battle, there doesn't seem to be any variation at all. Although I am sure some people will like this. The only other thing is the progression seems to be a bit random to me. Quite often you progress by walking over some random linedef or hitting some random switch which just looks like a wall texture (like in the first room), and another time you had to shoot a wall. And this sort of stuff usually isn't all that obvious and can get annoying quickly.

Still a good, and very ambitious, first effort.

This is like an extra map for Alien Vendetta that wasn't included because doom2 can only have 32 levels. Great gameplay, and breathtaking architecture.

You are, a nutcase. This map is insanely huge and has far too many monsters even on skill 1. Sure it looks great, but it has no gameplay.

1. Run around
2. Hit some random line or switch
3. Fight around 100 or more monsters
4. Repeat

It is a pretty good map, but it needs varying gameplay. I got so bored after the first section I turned on God Mode and ran around a bit more. I got so disturbed with the beginning of the second section I used "Kill Monsters". This is like a stretched out version of nuts.wad. I'm happy to see you're quite good a detailing however. On your next map make it much smaller, with fewer enemies, and possibly a consistent theme. Deus Vult gets too boring fast. But I can't complain about the appearance.

cyber-menace said:

On your next map make it much smaller, with fewer enemies,

Indeed. Especially fewer enemies. And if you feel the need to put in a few 1000 monsters again please limit this madness to one difficulty level. This map is clearly aimed at those who only play UV anyway so why waste all the effort in making the other skill levels so hard nobody else is going to play it?

I for example never played through HR, HR2 or AV just because there are too many monsters. This falls into the same category so I know where (not) to keep it.

I see no point in making the player shoot a billion monsters at once. I admit the fight at the end of the first map (haven't played the rest) was nice, but the others -- the 200 teleporting imps near the start, and the Spider Mastermind room, for instance -- just got boring. It doesn't take a lot of skill to get past those rooms, just a lot of patience.

Ok, i'm going to be honest here. It looks ok, i wasn't very impressed at the beginning at all, but it got better. But the gameplay sucks imo. I mean fighting for ever in huuuge areas with a million of demons is not really my cup of tea anyway, it gets boring very quickly... the size is impressive though. But like they say, the size isn't everything. :)
Still, a good try. But because of the gameplay problems and the huge size, it gets boring too early to played all the way through.

I found the unclear ways of passage to get quite annoying. The themes where far too erratic. Where am I? A tech base? no wait, I'm in a temple, no wait, deep underground. oops, forget that, it's a tech base. It just seemed like large open spaces and lifts that take forever to finish raising.
Plus all the parts I did like from the earlier versions have been scraped. Oh well.
If you are going to make a map with insane amounts of monsters, at least keep it to the UV skill, as others have said.

Graf Zahl said:

I for example never played through HR, HR2 or AV just because there are too many monsters. This falls into the same category so I know where (not) to keep it.

To me it didn't seem like HR, HR2, or AV had too many monsters. But that is just me. They did a good job of having a 'swarms or demons' without the feeling of random monsters placed everywhere.

As others have mentioned, the architecture is very nice (although I find some of the texturing questionable). However the amount of monsters makes the maps a chore. It's often not difficult at all, just time consuming and tedious.

Yeah, I got bored with it too before I even got halfway through. Feels too linear too most of the time, and the rooms often didn't flow very well from one to another. Reminded me a lot of Painkiller I think, and I don't care for that sort of gameplay. A very very good attempt for a first map, but there's still a lot of room for growth (in design, not map size :P)

I don't like it very much. True, as everyone else has said, it's good looking and stuff (although the texturing is all over the place at some points), but looks aren't everything. Gameplay is where it's at, and that's where this set of maps sorta stumbles.
For one thing, just like everyone else has said, it's NOT a good idea to make a set of maps so damned hard that it's barely beatable on skill 1. Bad design choices, plain and simple.
Also I'm NOT a fan of bigassed maps, and this mapset didn't really appeal to me due in part to the sheer size of the maps. Ridiculously huge, but whatever floats your boat.
All in all, for a first map, this is very very very well done. However, the size and difficulty of the maps will turn off a large amount of Doomers (such as myself).