Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Wireless networking help needed

Here are the reasons why I'm looking into a system:

1) The cable, strung to my room, that I used to use to connect to the network and then to the Internet, was damaged.

2) The only other ways to connect to the Internet is to use someone else's computer (as I'm doing now), and to take my computer down to the basement, which really, is a disgusting, inconvenient place to be.

Here are some questions that I'm looking to answer:

1) We live in a house made primarily of wood and rocks. The house is also very open, with few walls from one side of the house to the other. Am I right in assuming that this is a positive thing?

2) We likely won't need a radius of more than 60 feet or so, including a cedar wall or two. We also won't need great networking speeds (11 Mbps is probably safely overkill). What standard would be preferable? 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?

3) How hard would it be to integrate two wireless components (for example, access point and PCMCIA card) into an existing wired network? I don't want to have to buy two or three additional wireless PCI cards for the desktop computers.

4) What kind of components would be needed to integrate one laptop wirelessly into the wired network? The PCMCIA card is obviously needed for the laptop. But do we need a router, an access point, or what?

All input appreciated.

AndrewB said:

3) How hard would it be to integrate two wireless components (for example, access point and PCMCIA card) into an existing wired network? I don't want to have to buy two or three additional wireless PCI cards for the desktop computers.

Simply connect the access point to your switch/hub (Assuming you have one, if you don't, get one :).

AndrewB said:

4) What kind of components would be needed to integrate one laptop wirelessly into the wired network? The PCMCIA card is obviously needed for the laptop. But do we need a router, an access point, or what?

Pretty much what I said above, you'll need an access point and a switch/hub. A router is overkill unless you need one to connect to your isp or another network.

I've only had bad come from a wireless network. But I know people who have considered it great. I would never do it again, personally, until it's perfect, because it's one of those things IMO that is either pefect or horrible, with no middleground.

AndrewB said:

1) We live in a house made primarily of wood and rocks. The house is also very open, with few walls from one side of the house to the other. Am I right in assuming that this is a positive thing?

I use to work in an old hospital building that had solid concrete walls, which we had a wireless access point in and that worked fine... so I doubt you'll have a problem.

Well, I just got it working. I'm using my laptop in my comfy living room right now. It took several hours of fiddling and research, but I finally got my 802.11b system working with a shared network dialup internet connection. The rig cost just under $150 in total. That includes the router and the PCMCIA card.

And just tonight I played 8-bit DM over ZDaemon. I did great. I blew at cooperative, though, with pings in the six figures.