Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Amaster

Asylum of the Wretched in 2:16 (UV Speed)

asatw216.zip
Recorded with prboom 2.2.4 with complevel 1. Should work with doom2 ver1.9
Wad: aotw.wad + aotw.deh
Time: 2:16

I actually discovered this trick a couple of years ago but I was using zdoom at the time and thought it was a zdoom feature that made the jump possible. Recently I decided to play through this wad again in prboom and discovered that the ledge jump is really a "legal" trick.

Like I say in the textfile, running this map is annoying because you often get stuck on pieces of architecture. Also there seem to be node issues which cause you to get stuck on invisible walls sometimes. Finally, you'll notice that I get a little lost at one point due to a "silent" teleport.

I noticed a quicker jump (brings you out closer to the exit). I didn't have the patience to record another UV Pacifist using it (might try later), so I did a casual nomonsters. (Yes, there are some monsters in this map even when you play with -nomonsters...)

Cool. Actually I had found that one but I wasnt able to make the jump. I guess I was trying at the wrong spot.

How is it that there are monsters with -nomonsters? O_o

I presume it's to do with the dehacked patch. The engine regards some of them as not really monsters (it's only the dehacked patch that makes them into monsters), so they aren't removed by the nomonsters parameter. If you play this map without the dehacked file, then you'll see, for instance, that the two guards near the start are "really" blue keycards.

I think this alternative jump saves something like 8 seconds. At least, I hacked up a 2:20 by joining the 2:28 near the end and using the "new" jump.

Grazza said:

(might try later)

I did so: UV Pacifist Reality in 2:18.

Why is it that in the one run where all the difficult stuff went perfectly, I screwed up some of the simple things in ways that I hadn't done in any of the other attempts?

A new version of Asylum of the Wretched has been released, so I recorded a new demo on it. Just a quick run through on the familiar route (the changes don't affect it too much). Not pacifist though, I'm afraid: UV Speed + Reality in 1:54.

I recommend watching it with Prboom 2.2.4 (or 2.3.0) or Eternity. The new releases of Prboom (2.2.5 and 2.3.1) don't display some of the stuff correctly.

Kick ass! I must've missed this thread back when it was first created... I really enjoyed that last demo, Grazza! Nice to see you took the effort of making it reality style as well. :-D