Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

What's the scariest thing you've ever seen?

Damn, where to start on the dreams front. I must have one f*cked up mind, I seem to have nightmares every other week, extremely disturbing ones too, and they seem to last forever. Right, let's see...

Well, I was in my old house (this dream is off a while ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy, wish you could record your dreams, anyway), in the kitchen when three extremely tall skeletons with old leather, shin-high boots and long straggly hair walked in. Surrounding me, blocking my path out. One of them reached out and scratched the top of my head. Now this may sound weird, but I actually felt it and it hurt (anybody else experienced this is a dream?) I bolted out of the house and into the street. It's night-time. In the main road are three rotten corpses, dressed in smart, evening wear, as if they were going for a posh meal. The are slowly dancing, clumsy, they have top hats on too. Really horrible too, they are shiny, slimy, dripping as they are rotting through the clothes. One of them is clinging to some railings by my old house, swaying when his whole face falls off and lands face-up (no pun intended) onto the road. It starts laughing, horrible laugh though, gargled, deep, really horrible, I can still remember it.

I run out of the street and straight into a subway (which funnily isn't there in real life) I keep running and evenyually come to my old friend Brian's house. He takes me into the house but once he closes the door, we are in a white room with no windows, no doors, a single old couch on one side of the room, and an old TV on the other. We sit down with his gran on the couch (who was looking after him). As we do, the weather comes on, the weather shows the map of England with what looks like four large birds moving towards the North of England (where I live). The weather man says, and at about four thirty the wrinklies will be entering northern england. I check my watch and it reads 4:30. At that point the room rapidly begins to fill with water, it's raining heavily from above too, I can't see under the water but feel things pushing and touching. Suddenly (and this scared the shit out of me, one of those forceful wake-up moments) a snarling man's face burts out of the water, it's sickly blue, snarling his teeth. He has one of those hanging bits of skin coming from his forehead that turkeys do, he has a large bird body, maybe a huge turkeys or an ostrich and he's rapidly swimming towards my face, still snarling, shaking his head rapidly, in a frenzy....I wake up.

Other dreams are just as weird, some even scarier. One I had just recently involved smoking. I smoke occasionaly when I go out for a drink with friends. Parents are always getting on at me to stop, how bad it is. What I remember from this dream is sitting in my living room with family. Suddenlt the living room starts to turn old, decayed, rotten, dusty and dirty. My view pans to my family members who are now in their seats, but with medical oxygen masks on, skin wrinkled and dying, eyes hazy and almost closed, wheezing, trying to speak. All looking at me, pointing. Now before this I was aware of sitting next to my mother. I still am, I feel her put her arm around me but it feels crackly, dusty, stiff. I turn and look and I'll never forget this, her face has decayed, she has no eyes, her teeth are showing and her dead skin is flaking off onto me and she speaks, something about, it's alright, give your mam a hug, but I just wanted to be away, another one of those moments where you wake yourself up with a scream. Truly horrific image.

As for scary things in reality. No shit, this happened. Was downstairs playing Goldeneye yonks ago, 3 player with my brother and sister, probably 6-7 years ago. It was about 3 in the morning (school hols). I had finished playing and decided to go to bed. The only light that was on was the living room. I had to go through the kitchen, then the landing to get to the stairs (both of which were not pitch black because of the living room light, but quite dark anyway). I went into the kitchen, put my dog to bed, then headed to the landing. Well (shit, shivering typing this, memories are coming back, haven't thought of this in years, damn this topic!) I got about half-way down the landing when my path was blocked by what I can only describe as a dark shape, about my height (I am seriously not liking this typing rememberance thing). It was just there, in my way, a dark, human sized black shape, a dark figure, in the dark with me, about 6 feet away. Well, I bolted, back into the living room, wouldn't go upstairs without my bro, sis or the dog, kept the dog locked in my bedroom all night, never slept a wink, not at all, never been soo scared in my life ever. Still do not know what it was, but I don't ever want to see anything like that again. Maybe a ghost, maybe a trick of the mind (doubt it), dunno, but inbelievably scary none-the-less.

Well, that's me.

Mick.

One time, I had a dream that there was a map maker for Super Metroid. I wondered what would happen if I fell in a hole, since there are no instant death holes in SM. I made a platform, loaded the map and jumped into the abyss. It played this really scary tune, and I woke up.

I was on my way home from school and the dream was already pretty fucked up. However I saw a church with stained glass windows, and one of the windows was like neon light animation. It was dark and evil, and it showed an open grave, a lightning strike and a skeleton rising (neon light/animated gif style). I was scared, and was like "What's this supposed to be? The resurection?" But then after watching it for a while, the camera zoomed out, and I saw on the sign it said Church of Satan or something. That scared the shit out of me, especially when I turned around and saw this weird guy walking towards me.

The thing that scares me is when I leave my closet open, sometimes I think I see things. Like if there's a white ball on the shelf and a white suit under it, it will look like a person. I will (scared shitless usually) turn the light on and hurrily close the closet.

I hate nighttime. It's only cool when the moon is out.

Not that want to get into it...but when I was in 4th grade I saw a guy commit suicide in our front lawn from my bedroom window, as he was shooting at/being chased and surrounded by the police

tons of wierd shit like this happen in my home town. let me just say that that "normal" murders and whatnot are basicly nonexistant

yo, Mickgr, that's actually extremely scary. I'm sorry you had to witness that stuff, its pretty graphic. My nightmares have often been very disturbing, but not as detailed.

Anyway, these days, I don't have nightmares at all. Just dreams of stuff I'm thinking of during the day. And if there's something I wanted to do, but didn't, or should have done, but didn't, in the day, I will have a dream where I do it, and the relief is so great(like a load off the back) that I wake up to realize I didn't actually do it in real life, and I get pissed off.

P.S. Back when I had nightmares a lot, I would have a lot of half-asleep nightmares, like when you wake up, but you're not fully woken, and you see stuff in real life that is a mix of real life and dreams, and its scarier because its so much more tangible, as if its actually happening. But there is no sounds made by the half-dreams. Eventually the half-dreams transform into full dreams, where I'm having a dream that I'm half-dreaming. Pretty screwed up.

Also when I've been half-asleep, if its a nightmare, i feel a huge weight on my chest that doesn't allow me to get up, and my yelling is completely blocked out.

Another annoying thing, is when I have a nightmare, since I have control over some of my dreams, I kind of "exit" the nightmare. But the problem is, when I wake up, as soon as I lay my head back on the pillow, and close my eyes, the nightmare INSTANTLY comes back. So I spend lots of time with my eyes open sometimes after nightmares.

A long time ago when I was a little kid (don't remember the age) I used to make models. I had this little mobile over my bed made of model planes. Since I shared the room with my brother we had bunks. This put the mobile about a foot from my head.

We kept our door open with the hall light on so we wouldn't get scared of the dark. This made the mobile cast shadows on the wall right next to my head.

One night I woke up and saw the shadow. It wasn't the normal shadow I was used to seeing. Instead it was some fucked up looking bird skeleton slowly moving/rotating. I immediatly covered my head and would not dare move an inch for fear that this thing would take notice (ofcourse I was aware that the source of the shadow was a foot from my head!).

I remember that not a single part of this shadow looked like one of my model airplanes. But then again I was very young and probably imagined the whole thing......

....or did I? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHahaha!

This is going to sound silly, but waaaaaaay back when I was very small (probably around 3 or so), I used to be terrified, absolute petrified, of the chirping of crickets. Can't explain why, the only reason I can think of is that I was so young.

When I have dreams about stuff, and then I wake up, and later that day, they actually happen exactly the way I dreamed it.

Heh, I had a dream t'other morning where I dreamed I walked into my living room and there was a bigass digital clock telling what time it was. I remember it said 11:32.
I woke up Lord know how long after I had this dream, and when I looked at the time on the clock in the kitchen....it was 11:28, in the afternoon of course. Eerily close.

S1lent said:

When I have dreams about stuff, and then I wake up, and later that day, they actually happen exactly the way I dreamed it.

could be simply deja vu...heh...though I sometimes have the same thing, however it may not 'happen' for days or weeks even

Ichor said:

Seeing Bashe in his room four years ago.

rofl.

Heh, seriously though I'm not sure. One thing that did freak me out what this kids TV show called Through the Dragon's Eye. I couldn;t sleep properly for ages after one episode. I was 7 or 8 I think. That was fucked up. Other Brits may hade heard of this.

Why do they always make the kids stuff so much more disturbing than the adult stuff?

S1lent said:

You joke, of course? Or you might actually be insane. Or the next stage of human evolution. Either way it's bad news if you're involved in community work :D

I always hate car crash dreams. I had one last night, though I wasn't involved. I always hate driving the morning after. Irrational but, meh.

well now that we are including dreams, i have one to share.

i was walking home from work, and for some reason my neighbors had those little orange flags they stick in their yard while doing construcion. I was walking past their driveway, and a man exited the driveway shortly after i passed. he started following me, and i could tell he was, but i just kept on walking. when i got to my driveway my uncles truck was in it, so i went on the close side of the truck. the man followed me at the other side. when i got to the front of the truck we both stopped and looked at each other through the windows of the cab. then his face... i dunno... changed. all i could focus on were his eyes, which somehow ceased to be eyes anymore. it was like they were burning me. they were orange. they were burning me. then i woke up, and i just lay there until dawn because every time i closed my eyes his face come back.

The clown/doll in the movie Poltergeist. That friggin thing scared me so bad (I was about 7 or so when I saw it) that my sisters were never allowed to own any dolls because I would destroy them. Yep, this isn't fear, this is a phobia.

If I go to someone's house and I see a doll, I make up a reason to leave and never go back. I do not go into the toy section at department stores. My daughter doesn't own any dolls.

And don't even get me started on marianettes (sp?), the string puppets. After I developed my fear of dolls, I saw an advertisement for a movie called Puppet Master, I just try to stay away from them too; I don't want to chance anything.

I should probably be treated for this, but it doesn't really impair me in any way.

So, as to the scarriest thing I've ever seen? A cabbage patch doll.

-Endureth

dsm said:
Skeletons used to scare me shitless as a tiny kid until I had a nightmare (or scary dream - whatever) in which a nice, friendly skeleton helped some kids - wacky? yes.

The skeleton was probably a pedophile or something anyway...

Hey kids! I'm Mr. Skeleton! would you like to touch my bone?
LOLOloOLLoOLlOlOollolOOlol!!!1!!11112

Apparently when I was a kid the opening scene of Hulk used to scare me shitless, though I must admit that I don't remember that at all.

What did scare me badly was the time I saw my dead grandfather waiting at the window when I came home one night: I stayed outside the house for hours till some other members of my family showed up.

I have another scary expirience: my band teacher getting pissed. Last year (7th grade for me), we wouldn't stop talking for the love of god (except me, I'm a quiet one at school) and he got SUPER MAD!!! He got slammed him book shut and told us to shut up and DO NOT talk for the rest of the period. Good thing there was about 6 minutes left of that period. That was the worst day ever. Anyway, that class had a lot of wild kids in it, so I knew why he got mega pissed. I was terrified of going to band from that day onward.

My band teacher is know for having a super short fuse. I'm going to High School next year, so I won't have him ever again, but I've heard the HS band teacher is worse. If he is, I'm killing myself.

I had a dream last night I was walking around on top of a space ship, in deep space. Only thing was, there were no stars, no galaxies, no....nothing anywhere, at all....it was just a black endless void in all directions. Despite it being space, I could breath, and could hear myself breathing, and strangely I could hear it echoing. Also there was gravity, as I remember jumping up and down on the ship and coming straight back down, like you would here on Earth.
You might ask how I could do stuff like this in a dream, and well, there's your answer...it's a dream. In dreams anything can happen, and often anything does.
I recall I walked over to the edge of the space ship (and now that I think about it, it was more like a gray cube floating in the aforementioned void, like an ice cube floating in Mountain Dew) and looked down, and down....and down, into pure black nothingness. Very vivid.
As I say, it was an endless black void in all directions. Needless to say, this scared the almighty piss out of me and I backed towards the center of the cube/space ship I was standing on and started to sweat really bad. I looked up and saw, what else, black void overhead in all directions. Like I say it scared me quite badly.
After standing on my cube for several dream-hours, I started to cry and then decided I would jump off the cube, down, down, down, into infinite blackness.
So I took a deep breath and took the plunge into inky blackness and I plummeted down...down..farther down. I looked back up and saw my cube sitting there, just floating in the void, doing nothing, and then I looked back down and I screamed as I dropped so far down into space that the cube disappeared from my vision.
I woke up in a cold sweat this morning after having this dream at around 4 or so and I couldn't get back to sleep for a good two hours after.
Messed up, no?

I can recall having a really scary dream based around Doom. It took place in a tech-brick level, and was actually pretty well designed. Anyhow, I make it to the end and decide that I would look for all the level's secrets, so I turn around and head for the start. When I get there, I notice there's a big opening where I started. I go through it and find myself in a big cave-like place with an open ceiling and a bunch of pillars all over the place, all of it non-doomy. Suddenly I see a new monster, sort of a big black dog that crawls really close to the ground, like a lizard. It's got big red eyes and a no visible mouth, and it wasn't a sprite, it was a "live action" monster. This thing is just sitting there, looking off into space, so I try to shoot it. Somehow, my shotgun blast goes OVER it and it notices me. This is where it got scary to me. It made the most terrifying noise I've ever heard as an "alert" sound, then it scurried toward me at a rediculous speed and did a leaping tackle at me. The thing was, my vision didn't just blink red, it knocked me over on my ass and I felt it! It sat on my chest and made that noise, louder and louder as it's eyes got bigger and it's face started to split open. I screamed and screamed and woke up screaming, and am always nervous to look behind me when I start a level in Doom these days.

I literally saw a meteor fall from the sky last night at 2:40-something A.M. here in Washington state. It was on the news too (don't know if it was on CNN or whatever). It looked like a huge ass fireball which literally made everything look like daylight-orange for a couple seconds (it looked awesome!). There were some wierd flashes before it too that looked like lightning or something. Then all of a sudden the "fireball" dissapeared in mid air (it was falling at an angle like an airplane ready to crash. It fell in a way that was slower than I would've imagined.) I thought wtf? Then 4 minutes later this huge bang (like a volcano or a cannon) just came out and made my heart jump and the blinds on my windows moved around (my window was open too and I could feel the loud bang all over the house. It was alot louder than any thunder I've ever heard. The pouring rain in Guadalajara, Jalisco in Mexico has some extremely loud thunder that feel like earthquakes sometimes). Everyone woke up after the bang and when I told my Mom what I saw, My Mom, like always, said something that pissed me off when I told her about it (she said it was lightning and would not believe me no matter what... till she watched the news). Everyones making a big deal out of seeing the flashing lights and I just sit back and laugh. I freaking saw the meteor fall like watching a movie MUAHAHA. The reason it was scary though was at first it looked like something that was gonna hit our house and wipe everything else out (it was huge when I saw it). I got this sunken feeling like that was it im gone. The screwed up thing I hear is that the meteor was the size of a golf ball. I guess all the fire around it is what made it look so huge (and we live 15 miles away from where it hit and this thing looked like it was in going in my front yard. That's how freaking big it was).

Nick Perrin said:

Anyway, these days, I don't have nightmares at all. Just dreams of something I wanted to do, but didn't, or should have done, but didn't, I will have a dream where I do it, and the relief is so great(like a load off the back) that I wake up to realize I didn't actually do it in real life, and I get pissed off.

P.S. Back when I had nightmares a lot, I would have a lot of half-asleep nightmares, like when you wake up, but you're not fully woken, and you see stuff in real life that is a mix of real life and dreams, and its scarier because its so much more tangible, as if its actually happening. But there is no sounds made by the half-dreams. Eventually the half-dreams transform into full dreams, where I'm having a dream that I'm half-dreaming. Pretty screwed up.

Also when I've been half-asleep, if its a nightmare, i feel a huge weight on my chest that doesn't allow me to get up, and my yelling is completely blocked out.

Another annoying thing, is when I have a nightmare, since I have control over some of my dreams, I kind of "exit" the nightmare. But the problem is, when I wake up, as soon as I lay my head back on the pillow, and close my eyes, the nightmare INSTANTLY comes back. So I spend lots of time with my eyes open sometimes after nightmares.

OMFG you just hit me between the eyes with that. That is exactly what my experience is! I can sense when a nightmare is about to happen like you get this dark feeling before something bad is going to happen and it's just a very disturbing feeling you get when nothing happens yet. That's when I try forcing my eyes open but very rarely they don't open (I think only once I couldn't open em when I was younger). I hope I don't get a heart attack when I get nightmares cause I get real scared (heart pumping so hard it makes my whole body twitch with each beat. Can feel it on my bed). Good thing I kinda have control of it. Being catholic-pessemistic (forgot how to spell) I get alot of disturbing thoughts about evil spirits etc (sometimes get disturbing thoughts on purpose on myself like an obsessive compulsive disorder to see how far I can go. Sometimes I never end it and that's when I think im insane). I heard alot of ambidextrous people suffer from schitzofrenia, split personality and too much self control (which is what makes em insane). I hope I never suffer from any of that.

Holering: I hear that.. back in 2001/2002 my then girlfriend who lived in canada said there had been a meteor at night that lit up the surrounding area around her city (Moncton) like daylight as it burned up in the atmosphere, quite a while later i watched a documentary about meteor strikes and it said if that one had hit it could have caused the destruction equivalent to a 50-megaton bomb or something, now whever i see lights high up in the sky (space stations or high-altitude aircraft usually) i get a bit worried that its the very tip of a large meteor dipping into the atmosphere high above..

Hm, as for my actual experiences...

Occasionally my cat comes up to me at night and wants feeding, so i go to the back porch and start getting food out for her, but i always get paranoid that something is watching me from the back garden, cause on dark nights with the little bulb in the back porch on the back garden is totally un-illuminated, i usually chuck the food into her bowl and slithr out of the porch and slam the kitchen door, then rush up to bed. Even worse is feeding my brothers cat, who "lives" in the conservatory, which has windows all round..i get scared the fen tiger/a monster/an alien/a murderer in a black biking leathers and a white helmet will smash through the windows

Hm, another time i got my digital camera out and took a picture of my bedroom in the dark, i dont know why i did it, but on the picture there was a ton of 'orbs', which some people reckon are the most basic manifestation of a ghostly prescence, i was shit scared, then i had to go downstairs to let the cat out the back, and i took the camera with me and opened the kitchen door a tiny bit and took a photo of the kitchen to "check for orbs" before i went in there..though i do mainly reckon orbs are a trick of the light, for instance for a spoof "gay persons coming-out guide/SAS training manual" on my website there are two pictures, one of me being all nice, and one of me acting very agressive which is full of orbs, as if there is some prescence responding to my agressive attitude in the picture, or it might be the flash reflecting off the knife...

There was also the time me and my brother saw a UFO..we had been round my friends house and he had show me some drawings of starships he had made called the "Megaprise", anyway me and my brother where half-jokingly doing UFO watching and he said to me "Look!, its the megaprise!", and i look over and there's this big silver disc thing with a dome on top which is 'tilted away' from us with mutli-coloured lights around its base, but not all the way round, just a little, it was moving in total silence (trust me, me and my brother where hardly breathing at that point, from terror/shock/awe) and quite slowly and low to the ground ('behind' some trees that are growing in a yard at the bottom of our garden), i went downstairs to find a camera but didnt know how it worked, so i didnt know if there was any film in it, by the time i got upstairs again it was gone. This was over 10 years ago now though..so my memory of events around seeing the object is quite foggy, and i didnt look at the actual thing for more than a few seconds before rushing off (my eternal regret, i wish i had stayed and observed it), but that thing will be forever imprinted on my memory. We did UFO spotting for about 2 years after that, and we did see some dodgy things, but nothing ever quite like that again...

hm, people have started talking on IM's now and i cant remember what else i was gonna say..oh well, another time

Nick Perrin said:

I believe this is called Awareness of Sleep Paralysis. Some people suffer it repeatedly. I had it happen to me once and I remember it being pretty horrible.

Assmaster said:

I believe this is called Awareness of Sleep Paralysis. Some people suffer it repeatedly. I had it happen to me once and I remember it being pretty horrible.

hypnagogic hallucinations

I'm not sure if this was a dream or an experience, but about six months ago while I was up at around 4 in the morning, I "sensed" someone walking up my hall. My first thought was that it was a burglar so I turned off the lights and gripped a knife that I keep by my bed.

I "felt" it pass by my door so I got closer. I was about two or so steps from my bedroom door when I heard or "felt" whatever it was storm back down the hallway towards my kitchen. It was a very angry charge, sort of like a big burly person sprinting and lumbering at the same time. At this point I’m more cautious then scared and promptly back away from the door I stood vigilant holding my now "opened" knife for about 30 minutes straight. I didn't hear anything or "sense" anything so I very grudgingly go back to my bed. The very second that I get under the sheets I felt this entity storm up the hallway again and it passed straight through my closed door. I felt a kind of murderous intent radiating off of this demon, The only way I can describe it is an all consuming hatred beyond any earthly measurement, it came off in waves and each wave seemed endless, the first thing that came to my mind was that a demonic presence was in my room. It must have towered above me for hours.

The worst part wasn’t the intense aura of hate that came off of this creature, It was the fact that I recognized it, its the same burning malevolence that I’ve locked away deep inside of me years ago. Since that time I’ve considered it a message from God telling me that I wont be able to keep a grip on my buried emotions alone any longer. So since that time I’ve become a more social person hoping that having friends and people I care about would be the way to retain my humanity.

Quast said:

hypnagogic hallucinations

Those alone can be very enjoyable though. According to what I've read, ASP extends beyond that. Most notably the paralysis.

What's with the "No forum specified" message I get sometimes?

Oh well...

Grazza said:

A ski run called Snake Pit at Heavenly was pretty damned scary. Any fall there would most likely have led to a major injury, and the run did its damnedest to make you fall.

ive been there.

Bashe said:
What's with the "No forum specified" message I get sometimes?

Don't let yourself get scared by that. Just hit refresh and the page should open appropriately (you won't lose any info either.) It's just a server glitch, or something.