Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

If you could vote a monster...

If you could vote one original Doom monster NOT to appear in Doom3 again, which one would you choose? And which monster would you choose to definately appear in Doom3 again?

I'd kick the pain elemental, the lost souls are enough pain.

The cyberdemon is a must, on the other hand.

The Cyberdemon is a keeper. I hope they keep him looking pretty much the same as he did in the original doom, just bigger.

I dunno which one I'd get rid of.

-E

I say keep all of the original monsters.

Come to think of it, there's only one Doom 3 character I'm not really into so far:- the guy with the tentacle arm. He looks a bit like a cast-out from Resident Evil or Silent Hill. I can imagine him being QUITE annoying when you've got 1% health...

DoomUK said:

Come to think of it, there's only one Doom 3 character I'm not really into so far:- the guy with the tentacle arm. He looks a bit like a cast-out from Resident Evil or Silent Hill. I can imagine him being QUITE annoying when you've got 1% health...

Yeah, I know what you mean. This guy reminds me of the Quake2-tentacle a bit. I hope he will use the chaingun a lot, I loved the infamous "I SMELL FEAR"-Scene.

Scabbed Angel said:

The reverant.... suprisingly this seems to be the only monster that id hasn't really changed.

I like the way they keep the old revenant style.

AgentSpork said:

Chaingunners. God chaingunners are annoying.

Afaik, the Doom 3 chaingunner doesn't fire repeatedly at you - he fires a bit, then stops to chase you a bit before he goes back to firing again.
Don't be too quick to judge the new enemies on their old counterparts.

And if the Doom 3 chaingunner isn't in, I'm gonna do something bad and disturbing. It's simply one of my favorite Doom 3 enemies so far.

To answer your question, I would definitely want the Baron of Hell to be in. I wouldn't mind if the lost souls were not in the game, however.

Deathmatcher said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. This guy reminds me of the Quake2-tentacle a bit. I hope he will use the chaingun a lot, I loved the infamous "I SMELL FEAR"-Scene.

lol. Yeah, when I first played the alpha and saw that scene I was freaked out.

Deathmatcher said:

lol. Yeah, when I first played the alpha and saw that scene I was freaked out. It was just creepy. What was even more creepier one time when I played that level over was when I was in a room and saw it walking by a window.

EDIT: whoops....sorry! double post!

Lutrov71 said:

The Nazi soldier.

Oh, I forgot to mention "apart from the nazi soldier".
Since this one was a Wolf3D-gimmick, rather than a "native Doom monster".

Deathmatcher said:

Actually, that guy is a chaingunner until you do so much damage to him, then he drops the chaingun and tentacle comes out. He starts off with two arms. But yeah the Chaingunner is that guy.

Melfice said:

Actually, that guy is a chaingunner until you do so much damage to him, then he drops the chaingun and tentacle comes out.

Is that your own conclusion or did you read that somewhere? I thought the tentacle slashers and chaingunners are two variations of the Commando. The chaingun Commando in the early E3 demo died with the gun in his hands.

DoomUK said:

Well the Doom 3 zombies look like they've come straight out of the RE 1 remake, so he should fit right in :P.

The Pain Elemental might be a decent monster if it's done right. First and foremost, give it an attack of it's own, and not just a melee attack either. The ranged attack could be some kind of fireball or perhaps if it's an intelligent demon, it could be a psychic/psionic blast from that eye that would throw you back some. If you get to close, it could have a short ranged fire breath attack. Only rarely should it spawn Lost Souls.

Ichor said:

The Pain Elemental might be a decent monster if it's done right. First and foremost, give it an attack of it's own, and not just a melee attack either. The ranged attack could be some kind of fireball or perhaps if it's an intelligent demon, it could be a psychic/psionic blast from that eye that would throw you back some. If you get to close, it could have a short ranged fire breath attack. Only rarely should it spawn Lost Souls.

I got yer solution right here: Add the ability to belch Lost Souls to the cacodemon instead.
From what I've read, things seem like Id might've done just that.

I'm fine with all the original Doom/Doom2 monsters. However, I could do without the trites and the mecha-lost souls.

Tetzlaff said:

Is that your own conclusion or did you read that somewhere? I thought the tentacle slashers and chaingunners are two variations of the Commando. The chaingun Commando in the early E3 demo died with the gun in his hands.

No, I know this for a fact...how you ask...because temptation kept calling me...that's how...you do the math...

NiGHTMARE said:

Well the Doom 3 zombies look like they've come straight out of the RE 1 remake, so he should fit right in :P.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with the Doom 3 zombies looking very R.E, damn right (i.m.o they're the main factor that made the original PSX survival game stand out). But this tentacled commando just looks like one of the more annoying enemies, that's all I meant.

The revenant. i really like the monster, but it doesn't fit at all in doom imho. (and the new one looks quite retarded)

The Pain Elementals (not in doom anyways) so then I'd have to say Lost Souls (If I HAD to pick one)